Thank you for helping me improve my product (survey)

By Josh Kornish
May 18, 2013
The Roach

For a couple months now I've been designing and sewing up chalk bags trying to improve my product to the level that they can compete in the marketplace.

If you would like to help please take the survey below. Your participation is greatly appreciated and for taking the quick 9 question survey you are entered to win a free TUFA bag.

Survey

Thank you for your constructive criticism, have a good one!

Newest update to 'Talc'

Angled top

Page

Website (under construction)

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
May 18, 2013
The route in it's entirety.

Bags are looking good.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
May 18, 2013

Why do you need a waterproof zipper on a chalk bag? Seems like your just cutting into your margin there.

By Steven Groetken
From Tucson, AZ
May 18, 2013
On top of Hitchcock Pinnacle.

Survey done.

By Brian Hudson
From Greenville, SC
May 18, 2013
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG

is that full strength webbing?

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
May 18, 2013

NorCalNomad wrote:

I second that question.

Survey completed. Your chalkbags are looking nice.

By MFL
From Sandy, UT
May 19, 2013

looks good. I carry a small handful of things in my chalk bag's zippered pocket so I never forget and always have handy certain items like nail clippers, a e-light, a lighter, pain meds, etc... You zipper placement looks like it will result in spillage and limits the available space. Put it on the top so the whole legnth of the bag can be used.
Also the location of the zipper should face the climber (towards his/her back) so it doesn't get ruined by scraping against the rock.

Either way, nice looking product.

By FloatlikebuterflystinglikeBEE
May 19, 2013
Bee

I don't like the colors. Its a lot like 1980's style. Bi colored may cook more "it" . Snake skin look shiny ones ....maybe. Black/fusha, brown/pink... Penguin one looks nice no red stripe though...

By FloatlikebuterflystinglikeBEE
May 19, 2013
Bee

Bags
Bags

I found these military issued bags. I like the style but the rim was too soft. Maybe you can integrate some camo and animal skin patterns..

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
May 19, 2013
...

Done deal!

By Matt R
From Downingtown, PA
May 19, 2013

They look solid! Survey complete.

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
May 19, 2013
Trying to redpoint The Ugly 11c; steeper than it looks and the rock is scary in spots but good enough.

Excellent looking product. Survey done.

By patrick sullivan
From silverthorne,
May 19, 2013

Survey done. I can't tell from the pictures on how large the zippered pockets are. I'm looking for a bag that is not too large but would have a zippered pocket that could fit keys, rain jacket,headlamp, powerbar.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
May 19, 2013

^^^ lmao... We could market it as Bear Gyllis rockaneering survival kit.

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
May 19, 2013
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.

I think they look really good.
Survey done.
Good luck!

By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
May 19, 2013
beck on limestone

Josh,

Overall very nice looking. Quality construction. Shows obvious quality and care. I think the diagonal cut of the pattern is a distinctive trademark without being a big cost increase. The vertical side is nice touch also. I would double stitch this as the edges will wear quickly

Suggestions:

Try for one size smaller toggle and locate it on the side of the bag so it has less chance to get abraded.

The zipper definitely needs to be on the side facing the climber and as high up the bag as possible. On every bag I've owned this is the first part that breaks. Maybe instead of waterproof zipper just have an open zipper or with a protective flap.

I'd decrease the angle of the opening to half what you now have. I see in some models you incorporated a softer material below the rim so the bag collapses. Keeping the cut diagonal you might lessen the angle of the diagonal to keep your "look" but make the collapse of the bag less likely to spill. Keep the vertical stripe.

Just looking at your diameters, it might be better to make the opening diameter around 4.75" and the bag slightly longer. Looks like you might be 5.75"...maybe go to 7". Or make two sizes of bags; one for sport and tips applications and one for cracks where you want the back of your hands coated.

Consider redesigning the bottom of the bag to make the seam facing away from the climber curved like an Arcteryx or Verve bag and no sharp corners on the outside ...then "ease the corners on the inside against the climber. Any sharp corner will soon wear through and that is difficult to repair.

I'd eliminate any multiple panels on the bottom of the bag.

I like the way you have attached the cord or tape loops, but I would separate them by 1.5 inches to keep the bag more level when being moved and less prone to twisting. I see most people around here use a tape belt. I'm using a 6mm cord tie.

I'm assuming you are using some soft liner?

Talking cost. And reality of the market place. Could you make this bag for $20 wholesale or less? Then retail at around $32 to $35 online direct for now. You also might consider a second line making a lesser featured chalk bag at a lower price point.

Consider an Arcteryx chalk bag retails for $25 and that is a nice design except I don't like their plastic attachment point.

This site, I thought, has a descent small business model: www.runoutcustoms.com/

By DuncanKL
May 19, 2013

Overall I really like the look of the bags, including the fabrics and colors. I agree about moving the drawstring to the side and the pocket to the other side. I for one like the idea of having a waterproof (or close) pocket.

By Greg Kimble
From Colorado
May 20, 2013

Why are you guys taking so much shit up the wall with you? I understand the nail clippers and maybe car keys. But food, jackets, keys, medications, head lamps...It's a chalk bag, not a survival kit. If you really can't handle not having these items on you 100% of the time, you might consider cargo shorts or a small backpack.

I personally would not buy a chalk bag that was bulky enough to carry half of those things.

By Josh Kornish
May 27, 2013
The Roach

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions! The insight thus far has been extremely helpful in improving my product.

I understand that using a water resistant zipper may be slight overkill and biting into my margins.

I started this venture as a way to fuel my climbing ventures and to make a quality product. These YKK water resistant zippers are also more durable than standard zippers. The extra cost to my margins is justified by using better materials.

The zippered pocket is very large as it wraps around to the backside of the bag. It will hold keys, lighters, gels or bars, tibloc and prussiks, as well as a headlamp but not a Houdini jacket.

The Herringbone belt loop and lining is also much more expensive than standard nylon but the feel against skin is superior.

Concerning the stitching.

In all my bags now I use T-138 thread. Being double stitch with perfect tensioning I have no worries as to the durability of the seams and stitching.

If you do not like the colors I can always work with you to make a product to fit your visual tastes.

Josh