Peregrine Falcon or Redtail Hawk?

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Jul 3, 2012
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

On top of S Dino Egg in the Flatirons about 3 weeks ago.

Raptor on S. Dino Egg eating something. Taken by John Brooks. <br /> 105937340
Raptor on S. Dino Egg eating something. Taken by John Brooks.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Jul 3, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

I'm going with Peregrine Falcon. The flattish head, large eyes and slightly shorter and sharper beak match. The coloring is also more like a Peregrine than a Red Tailed Hawk.

By kpbo
From upstate NY
Jul 3, 2012
jammin'

Prairie Falcon

By wufpak18
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 3, 2012
Grayson Highlands State Park

Prairie Falcon for sure. Peregrine's have a larger and darker 'mustache' as well as overall darker body marks. It also appears to be eating some sort of small mammal which is the Prairie Falcon speciality compared to the Peregrine that specializes in avian prey.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Jul 3, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

I stand corrected, gentlemen. Good call. I've never seen a Prarie Falcon, so I didn't make the connection.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Jul 3, 2012
Bucky

Wow, damn cool photo. Beautiful bird.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Jul 3, 2012

Thank you all very much! I have been trying to figure this out for a while! I was not even considering the correct bird.

I live in Downtown Denver ( 5 points ) and it never ceases to amaze me the wildlife encounters I have in the Flatirons, many trailheads being less than a half hour from my front door. This was an after work scamper.

This bird did not like us being up there and even more it did not like the other birds flying around. It let out many screetches at all of us. It was also very large.

I'm guessing the thing in its tallons is either a squirrel or a prairie dog, too small to be a chipmunk.

By J mac
Jul 3, 2012
Zermatt

I was hoping this was a who would win in a fight kind of thing

By wufpak18
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 3, 2012
Grayson Highlands State Park

Peregrine for sure!!

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Jul 3, 2012

Sorry John, I'll try to dig up the photo of the Pacific Giant Octopus I saw on top of the 3rd Flatriron but in the mean time check this out.

Link wont embed for some reason. Search google for shark vs octopus, its worth it.