Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New - School of Rock
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Pay it forward request
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 2 of 4.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By Chris Rice
Feb 9, 2013

From Sterling Va - Thanks to someone :) for the 3 pairs of shoes - much appreciated!


FLAG
By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Feb 10, 2013
Summit of Rainier.

I have a couple pairs of size 12 to send. What are you using to belay? Want an ATC?


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 10, 2013

Mike Belu wrote:
I have a couple pairs of size 12 to send. What are you using to belay? Want an ATC?


Yes we can use an ATC - Thanks! Gonna have to start working on a shoe rack to hold everything - awesome!


FLAG
By Michael Kopinsky
Feb 10, 2013

This is gonna sound weird, but a while back I lost one of my shoes. Obviously had to buy a new pair, but now I have the one shoe just floating around. Do you want just the right shoe from a pair of 5.10 Coyotes?


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 11, 2013

Michael Kopinsky wrote:
This is gonna sound weird, but a while back I lost one of my shoes. Obviously had to buy a new pair, but now I have the one shoe just floating around. Do you want just the right shoe from a pair of 5.10 Coyotes?


Michael - I'm not sure what we could do with just one shoe - but hey if you want to get rid of it - send it along - maybe someone else will have just a left shoe :)


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 12, 2013

From Bridgeton Maryland - Thank You! And a thank you to everyone so far - seeing the generosity that I am seeing restores my faith in climbers as "good people"! (Never really doubted it but still.........)


FLAG
By Paige Marta
Feb 12, 2013

Do you still need more stuff? I have some shoes and an old grigri.


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 12, 2013

Paige Marta wrote:
Do you still need more stuff? I have some shoes and an old grigri.


Yes - more stuff can still be used - I need to inventory the shoes now and build a great big ole shoe rack though! The outpouring of items that you all have done warms my heart. Today I received 3 pair of climbing shoes - 2 short ropes (long enough for the wall when needed), a chalk bag (with chalk), and a brand new Climbing harness. My plan is to hold a climbing competition later this year and use things like this new harness and a few other new items we have received as prizes for the winners. So once again I thank you all.


FLAG
By Don McGrath
From fort collins, CO
Feb 12, 2013

This is a really cool result of Mountain Project... Climb on.


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 16, 2013

Paige Marta wrote:
Do you still need more stuff? I have some shoes and an old grigri.



Paige - Gri Gri arrived today - Awesome - Thank You so much. One side effect of all these new shoes is we are getting more kids at the wall.- they can climb so much better and are having more fun - so they are bringing there friends!


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 16, 2013

Omer - Thanks for the shoes!


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 18, 2013

Two pair of shoes (12s maybe) and a chalk bag arrived today from Plainfield Indiana - big thanks!!!


FLAG
By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Feb 18, 2013
Summit of Rainier.

Chris Rice wrote:
Two pair of shoes (12s maybe) and a chalk bag arrived today from Plainfield Indiana - big thanks!!!

Yep, they are 12s. Any time--thanks to you for helping out your community.


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 18, 2013

Mike Belu wrote:
Yep, they are 12s. Any time--thanks to you for helping out your community.


Thanks Mike - I would have thanked you personally but your name wasn't in the return address. Thanks!!!


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 19, 2013

John Shippling - shoes and a brand new Metolius Chalkbag! Thanks you! I'm putting the chalkbag back to use as a prize for the climbing contest I'll be having soon. Awesome!


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 19, 2013

Hannah Roush - Huge Thank you!!! The brand new pair of 5.10s will be a competition prize I believe!


FLAG
By Craig Quincy
Feb 25, 2013

3 pairs of shoes on the way. Keep up the good work!


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 26, 2013

Craig Quincy wrote:
3 pairs of shoes on the way. Keep up the good work!


Thanks Craig - I'll be looking for them!


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks to Mike Mobley - shoes arrived today!!!


FLAG
By ZANE
From Cleveland, OH
Feb 27, 2013

Hey Chris I'm gonna try to stop by sometime soon. I'll have to give you a shout when I get time!

Just got a new job so maybe eventually I'll have some extra gear to donate.


BUMP for the cause!


FLAG
By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Feb 27, 2013
modern man

excellent job Chris, glad my box of shoes that were sitting in the room-o-gear have a new home, at least one pair is good to go for a kid, the others are kinda big but they'll work for someone.

BTW- I think just about all kids would enjoy climbing(even the slightly obese 50%) and its a shame that every city doesnt have a place to do this. How did you guys in Crooksville OH. get this going anyways?


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 27, 2013

TRmasta wrote:
excellent job Chris, glad my box of shoes that were sitting in the room-o-gear have a new home, at least one pair is good to go for a kid, the others are kinda big but they'll work for someone. BTW- I think just about all kids would enjoy climbing(even the slightly obese 50%) and its a shame that every city doesnt have a place to do this. How did you guys in Crooksville OH. get this going anyways?


I'm on the Village Council here (been on for over 20 years now)in our small town. Back in 97 we had a very progressive mayor and council and a government program called Wellness Grants existed. Being a climber at that time I approached village government and we were fortunate enough to get one of the grants. There were several adult climbers here at the time and we (along with the village engineer) put together a plan that allowed us to build about a third of the wall you see today - we climbers did all the construction work and all the holds we used were holds I already owned from my outdoor climbing wall I had at my house. A few years later we got another grant and built more wall and bought more holds and harnesses. A few more years and one more grant and we built the arch portion you see in the pictures along with more holds. Our community bank donated money for more harnesses last year and we solicited outside businesses for new ropes last year. So practically all the money given us went to materials and almost no labor charges. I furnish all the chalk used and we have several regular adult volunteers that are there every week. What usually happens is we adults belay the small kids the first couple hours - than after the kids leave, we belayers climb for a while. It's all run by volunteers so no expense there either. We were fortunate as a village to have an old high school gymnasium already as a recreation center with enough ceiling height to allow a nice climbing wall to be built. It's a multi purpose rec center where we offer much more than just climbing and have to share time etc with everything else that goes on. We are blessed to have this in a town our size - roughly 2500 people. I think this can be done in other towns given the right circumstances and a group of volunteers willing to do all the work of running it.


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 27, 2013

ZANE wrote:
Hey Chris I'm gonna try to stop by sometime soon. I'll have to give you a shout when I get time! Just got a new job so maybe eventually I'll have some extra gear to donate. BUMP for the cause!


Zane - come on down anytime. I'd love to show some of the wonderful people from the forum what we are doing here and let you get some climbing in! Remember we are only open Thursday evenings.


FLAG
By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Feb 27, 2013
modern man

Chris Rice wrote:
I'm on the Village Council here (been on for over 20 years now)in our small town. Back in 97 we had a very progressive mayor and council and a government program called Wellness Grants existed. Being a climber at that time I approached village government and we were fortunate enough to get one of the grants. There were several adult climbers here at the time and we (along with the village engineer) put together a plan that allowed us to build about a third of the wall you see today - we climbers did all the construction work and all the holds we used were holds I already owned from my outdoor climbing wall I had at my house. A few years later we got another grant and built more wall and bought more holds and harnesses. A few more years and one more grant and we built the arch portion you see in the pictures along with more holds. Our community bank donated money for more harnesses last year and we solicited outside businesses for new ropes last year. So practically all the money given us went to materials and almost no labor charges. I furnish all the chalk used and we have several regular adult volunteers that are there every week. What usually happens is we adults belay the small kids the first couple hours - than after the kids leave, we belayers climb for a while. It's all run by volunteers so no expense there either. We were fortunate as a village to have an old high school gymnasium already as a recreation center with enough ceiling height to allow a nice climbing wall to be built. It's a multi purpose rec center where we offer much more than just climbing and have to share time etc with everything else that goes on. We are blessed to have this in a town our size - roughly 2500 people. I think this can be done in other towns given the right circumstances and a group of volunteers willing to do all the work of running it.


Nice. Living in a town where the youth have just about NOTHING to do after school and in a very rich, liberal, and penny pinching state(govt) I'm curious what could be done here. I'll PM you with more questions.


FLAG
By Chris Rice
Feb 28, 2013

Craig Quincy wrote:
3 pairs of shoes on the way. Keep up the good work!


Shoes arrived today - Thank You!!!


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 4.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>