Partner for Russell East Ridge

By James Bellamy
May 18, 2013

Looking for a partner for Russell East Ridge, 20th through 22nd. I can drive from north county. I come from Colorado so have alpine climbing experience and can lead up to 5.6 (thanks to current shoulder injury this is it) but am confident on scrambles.

If no partner is found, I will likely solo. Recently moved to North county (San Diego) and now have no climbing partners.

James

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
May 18, 2013
me

James, I would not be able to make it up Russell on those dates but I am interested in getting up that way soon. If your in need of a climbing partner I live up near Big Bear close to Tahquitz and there is some decent climbing up here. I'm climbing 5.10 up to easy .11s sport 5.8-5.9 on gear and to am in need of a solid partner.
Robert

By James Bellamy
May 18, 2013

Rob,

I would be elated to join you in the future. Looks like I may be going solo, if at all. Moving to Socal has put a damper on my climbing objectives over the past four months. Of course, most of that is the move itself. I do miss being able to drive 20 minutes to Eldorado Canyon and go climb solid multi-pitch rock. Looks like it's a little further away now. Most of my experience comes in at easy alpine routes and I haven't lead anything above 5.8 trad, ever. When I did, I was a solid 5.7 trad leader. Shoulder is resting now - not sure if it's a rotator cuff issue, or what. I recently joined a rock gym down here in San Marcos, overdid it, and got the shoulder injury.

I'll send you a PM with my email address. Looking to do the east face of whitney or lone pine peak at some point here soon.

James

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
May 18, 2013
West Overhang

James, the E Ridge of Russell is very mellow and easily daytripped. It was one of the early alpine routes I did back when I was just getting into trad.

With the amount of time (assuming you're bivying) you'll be up there you can easily add in the E Face or E Buttress of Whitney (or Fishhook Arete on Russell if you want something harder). If you haven't already, try summitpost for partners. There are far more CA people on there.

good luck

p.s. Feel free to PM with Sierra route questions. I moved to Eldo from Bishop and most of my alpine experience has been in the Sierra.

By Jennifer Macelt
May 19, 2013

Sent a PM about Sierra climbing, but I know the PM system doesn't always work. I'm also looking for a partner in San Diego area.

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
May 20, 2013

Was just up there today. Got turned around at 13,500' do to too much snow. We were ready for Class 3 scrambling, not 50* snow slopes.

Best of luck, It can probably be pushed through.

By Kev2000
May 20, 2013

James, it seems like I might be in your area and also looking for some mellow climbing partners. Send me a message if you'd be interested, I recently moved from central san diego to escondido and was in salt lake city before that. I feel your pain with climbing around here, but there is some fun stuff to do and there are a lot of other places within an hour that are pretty fun too, multipitch stuff and longer climbs. We're really surrounded by some great stuff it just takes a little longer trip to get to it.
Russell's on my hit list but I'm planning to get up some other stuff in the Sierra this summer too.

Kevin

By James Bellamy
May 22, 2013

Thanks for info everyone. I got greedy and went after whitney. Solo of the mountaineers route in 13~. One word to describe that route. STEEP!