Paramedic opportunities out west

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Oct 28, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Hey y'all, I'm getting my NREMTP in march and looking for colleges to go to in Oregon/Washington and want to move contingent on ability to find employment out there while going to school

Wondering if there are any medics out there who have advice on finding a job/reciprocity from Nys would be greatly appreciated

Matt

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Oct 28, 2012
Mt. Churchill, University Range

Check USAJOBS.com or .gov?

By Olive2
Nov 12, 2012

Chemeketa CC for paramedic program. WOU has a fire administration program if your going the fire route.

By kevino
Nov 13, 2012

I'm confused, you're getting your national medic license but still need to go to school?

Either way, Central Washington U has a good medic program and while the employment is limited in ellensburg, a lot of people work in yakima to gain good experience. I have a lot of experience living, climbing and working in both those areas if you want more info.

edit to add: i worked in various hospital emergency departments

By David prsn
From Tustin
Nov 13, 2012
Temple crag, dark star

Unless you get in with fire or AMR you'll most likely be running IFT. Good luck bud!

By Nate_801
From St. George
Nov 13, 2012
Moab

I grew up in Washington and there are a few places you can get your medic.
Tacoma Community College
Central Washington U
Vancouver

I actually moved to Utah and went through the university of Utah program. I really enjoyed it! Utah has 5 or 6 medic programs and are pumping medics out like crazy.

AMR or rural metro is your best bet as far as getting a job out of school unless you want to work in a hospital setting as a tech or something.

Good luck.

By kevino
Nov 14, 2012

there is also ALS in yakima.

I know wenatchee has a private ambulance service; spokane also uses AMR.

Every county is set up differently, but in Yakima AMR and ALS are all medic/emt cars and respond to 911 calls with fire so they are first responders and not just transfer units like they are used in King county.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 14, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

awesome thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to get out west and climb in gods country...