P90X Fans Out There For Climbing Fitness and Overall Training?

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 16, 2013
Awesome slab climb right out of the water! Rogers ...
Anyone out there currently doing P90X not only for general fitness and muscle strength/tone along with hang boards or finger board training, etc?

Just curious...

By Morgan Patterson
Topo - Cliffs in Green
No clue about the P90x but when I was in Physical Therapy for my knee and shoulder injuries I used the TRX system a ton and it really helped. You could make your own very cheaply and easily or find them used on craigslist.org using a site like adhuntr.com (official site: trxtraining.com/shop/gear).

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
mountainproject.com/v/whats-th...

By Jon H
From Boulder
At the matching crux

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
vertebrae roof
+1 on the TRX

By Chris I
From Fresno, CA
First trad lead.
P90X has some great workouts and I use them to target certain areas where I know I need work or a climbing gym session won't get. The ab ripper is brutal and helpful, the legs and back will get your legs stronger for approaches and chimneys, and the list goes on. I use them occasionally to supplement climbing training. Jon H is right, that doing the whole program is too much of a time commitment and too tiring, but for off days, doing standalone workouts can be great.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
If you are in need of a structured program (for whatever the reason) this program is great. Tweak it for climbing: you can go through the whole program EXCEPT instead of using the 20lb dumbbells use 3-5lb'ers OR no weight at all; just going through the motions without weight can be easily tweaked into a solid aerobic/anaerobic workout with some imagination. Again IF you prefer/need structure just lowerthe weight drastically or no weight and turn into an aerobic exercise.

Enjoy!

By Daniel Winder
+1 for ab ripper

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
Let me elaborate on the aerobic. Think line drills in football, etc. When Tony calls for 10-20 reps you do 60-100, much, much more intense. The intensity is important to pick up if no weight or even less weight.

This is for me, it may not work for you?

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 16, 2013
Awesome slab climb right out of the water! Rogers ...
I have done some P 90x in the past and not know some about it.
I don't plan on doing all of the discs and I'm really only looking at working with the rubber resistance bands. I am pretty darn fit for my age and at 5 foot 8 inches I only weigh 155 pounds I'm very lean pretty darn muscular but can always improve like a lot of folks. I probably wouldn't need to drop any more than about five pounds worth of body fat per se. I am just looking at it to get more strength and more tone in just a little bit more muscle. And yes the Ab Ripper X DVD is brutal!

By Snoopy
Apr 16, 2013
Ab ripper and plyometrics are awesome.

By Zach Kling
From Indianapolis, Indiana
Apr 16, 2013
Winter bouldering gets cold.
Jon H wrote:
If you're climbing under 5.10 and/or have some extra pounds to lose, P90X will probably help. If you're climbing any harder than that, you would be better off training specifically for climbing. P90X is a general fitness program for people who are looking to be generally fit. Climbing at a higher level requires highly specialized strength which (for the most part) can only be developed using specialized techniques. P90X is incredibly time-intensive. It's a rare person that can do P90X and still climb during the 90 day cycle. You'll be so exhausted you won't be able to climb. It's a good program without a doubt, but probably not for a climber who has climbing-specific goals.

This. Trying to climb while doing a p90x cycle was just too much for me. I got strong, looked good, but my climbing went from working hard (for me) routes to thrashing on routes a full 2 number grades down during the cycle. Just too damn tired. I still like the yoga, chest and back, and arms workouts for off days or weeks where I just don't get to climb a lot.

If you're doing it to get better at climbing though, Jon hit the nail on the head. Do something climbing related.

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 16, 2013
Awesome slab climb right out of the water! Rogers ...
yeah I'm not doing it for climbing per se. I do a long of hang board work for that and climbing itself...

By Camp
From Santa Fe, NM
Apr 16, 2013
Check out mountain athlete. They have climbing specific workouts that will give you strenght gains as well.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.
+1 for mountain athlete. Awesome, comprehensive database at your finger tips.

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Apr 17, 2013
Camp wrote:

+1 and all the videos are free. You can get ripped that way, but someone up thread warned of being too tired to climb. I had the same problem when I was training for climbing but not actually climbing. The strongest climbers I know just climb to train for climbing. Maybe some cardio for the ticker thrown in.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Apr 17, 2013
OTL
I climb to help with my P90X.

By Mark Hudon
Apr 17, 2013
On the North America Wall in 1977.
I've been doing it and love it. It's certainly not a climbing workout but it definitely get you in all body good shape. It'll put you in a good position to build climbing strength on.