Overnight Parking and Camping Ouray/Silverton area?

By Josh Hutch
Dec 20, 2013
2nd pitch of Chockstone Gulley, Skylight Area, Ouray CO

Title pretty much sums it up. Looking to spend the week after Xmas climbing between Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. We will be in a pick up truck with a camper. Looking for legal places to spend the night through out the week that's open this time of year. Appreciate any input and thanks!

By Kerr Adams
From Albuquerque, NM
Dec 20, 2013
twin cracks

I'm not sure if it's open this time of year but there is a campground a couple miles up camp bird road

By Justin R
From Ouray, CO
Dec 20, 2013

According to the USDA website, the campground is closed. However I was there in November and there was a sign saying that the campground was free since it was out of season. There was nothing saying that it was closed. The short dirt road to the campground is pretty bumpy, and not plowed. Got 4wd and snow tires?

By jeff lebowski
Dec 20, 2013

Silverton gets colder than a witches tit at night in Dec.

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO
Dec 20, 2013

Camp Bird Road is colder than a well diggers ass in the Klondike in the middle of winter.

Seriously Silverton can be quite cold I have seen temps as low as -19 in the morning when driving over. Camp Bird Road see very little sun in the middle of winter and is pretty grim. People do it but I would not recommend it unless your camper has heat.
Best option is to get a cheap place in Ouray, so that you can stay warm, dry your gear, and stay psyched.
Plus what's wrong with putting a little money into the local economy if you are going to use the resources.

By Josh Hutch
Dec 21, 2013
2nd pitch of Chockstone Gulley, Skylight Area, Ouray CO

I realize it will be cold, thanks for the heads up though. Camper is insulated and heated. Truck has 4wd and snow tires. Planning on having meals in town. Couldn't stay away from the brewery last year. Thanks for the suggestions.

By JFF
From Durango, CO
Dec 24, 2013

If you need a place to crash in Durango let me know what days and if I'm around I can help you out.

By Robert Murphy
Jan 7, 2014

Josh Hutch wrote:

Josh, any BETA on that campground, or other free places you may have found to park?? i plan on camping in the same fashion for icefest. Thanks, Rob

By Josh Hutch
Jan 12, 2014
2nd pitch of Chockstone Gulley, Skylight Area, Ouray CO

Robert Murphy wrote:

Sorry, just saw this. Stayed down Campbird road all week. Campgrounds were not open but the road was plowed and campgrounds were plowed for a turn out/parking. Worked out fine but there was mine traffic earlyish, around 0600. Hope that helped and u had fun at the fest!