Overdose Resoles Experiences? Opinions?

By John Evans
Mar 8, 2010

I recently noticed a poster up at the Momentum climbing gym for OverDose Resoles. Has anyone had any experience with them yet? Quality? Turn around time?

John

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Mar 8, 2010
The route in it's entirety.

i'm interested in their work as well. Normally I send my shoes to komito boots and their turn around and work is excellent.

By hyadventure
From Santa Ana
Mar 8, 2010

www.yosemitebum.com/index.html Yosemite Bum does the best work I've seen, but their slow.

By nateclimb
Mar 18, 2010

The quality is 90% hit and 10% miss, nice thing is that if you have a problem let her know and she will fix it. IE you get the rand done and they are a little to pointy.

Turn around is one week.

By Jhernand
From Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 18, 2010
Mexican Crack in LCC SLC UT

wow... John... you tell em!

She does good work. I spoke to her about her work and she filled me in on her resume. She apprenticed under someone who resoled for the Bum in CA. she did that for 10 year or so i think and then made her way to the SLC area. Took some time off to have a baby, and is not back into the biz.

What i think Nate is saying... is that 90% of the time the shoes are 100%, but 10% of the time the shoes have a small problem with them. HE is not saying anything about the shoe being 90% good, and 10% of it being messed up. He is only saying 9 out of 10 shoes are perfect.

as far as the rands... i think she pinches them a little much when she is working on them, but this does not effect the climbing. This is only a cosmetic thing when you get the shoes back. Other wise the rand work is fine

personal experience here... i had her do a pair for me and my left shoe was great! but my right had a small glue problem...Something i have had with other resoled shoes as well. I dropped them in the box... and she called me apologized and is working on them again for free.

She has a quick turn around. 1 week and your back in your shoes. on my last resole i sent them to the rubber room, and it took a month to get them back. I think havin the box in the gym and getting them back in a week is super convenient.

long story short... i would recommend her to everyone. she is cheap, fast, and does great work!

By Christopher Sorensen
From Provo, UT
Mar 18, 2010
FA of For Those Who Are About to Rock (We Salute You). Photo originally added by T. Higbee, but I added it myself to use as a profile pic.

I'm glad someone posted about this. I haven't done a resole before. Is the rubber she uses as good as the rubber you've already got in all cases, or does it depend? For example, my wife might need resoling done on her Red Chilis. What do you think?

By Jhernand
From Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 18, 2010
Mexican Crack in LCC SLC UT

she uses all 5.10 rubber... stealth i think... but don't quote me on that. either that or C4, but either way if you ask me it is the best rubber out there right now. it lasts the longest, and it is the stickiest. obviously everyone is going to have the rubber that they prefer, but i think 90% of the time you will find that people will ask for 5.10 rubber

By The
From Salt Lake City
Mar 18, 2010
Bansky

Just got a pair back (resole and rand). Iíll agree with Jhernand that the toe box is a little tighter compared to when Iíve had shoes done by Rock n Resole. But the quality looks decent. I havenít climbed on them yet. Iíll let you know how they worked after this weekend.

By nateclimb
Mar 21, 2010

John, or an A-hole.

a. How do you know I get my shoes for free.
b. That doesn't matter. I know your jelous.

Yes she does use 5.10 rubber, it is stealth C4.

By The
From Salt Lake City
Mar 22, 2010
Bansky

So I used my shoes resoled by overdose over the weekend. After a couple routes they broke in and worked fine. I canít comment on how they will holdup over the long haul, but first impressions were good.

By John Evans
Apr 6, 2010

To follow up on my question regarding Overdose:

I had a pair of Mythos resoled, which needed rands as well. Overdose did a good job on them, with well glued, clean edges on everything. I really liked the turn around time (one week) and not paying shipping (drop box at the gym). I also received a phone call the day before, confirming the shoes would be at the gym on Wednesday after 3pm, which is nice.

The shoes do fit a bit different/tighter afterwards, but every resole I have ever had tightens my shoes up a bit (which I like, as they've usually loosed up too much by then).

Bottom line; I am happy with Overdose and would recommend them.

John

By Christopher Sorensen
From Provo, UT
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks, John, that's really helpful information.

By Ishmail
From Utah
Aug 17, 2010
Ish

I tried out Overdose for the first time and thought i'd share my experience. After sending my Anasazi 5.10 Mocasims for soles and rands they came back as mentioned above in this thread - the toe box was too small. The Anasazi's are crack climbing shoes and I sized them for cracks. I explained this to her (I think her name is Kelly?) and she agreed to re-do them.

After re-doing them only one of the shoes was slightly better (and unacceptable), I don't think she touched the other one. We spoke once again, and she agreed to let me have the shoes free of charge, and wasn't exactly professional. Regardless, i've burned 3 weeks and don't even know if they can be fixed by another re-soler. The shoes have the feel of an agressive sport shoe - not a Creek Shoe. I hope they aren't destroyed.

I have no doubt she can resole a sport shoe, but if you have nicely fitted crack shoes - they will come back tighter. Tight fitting/toe schrunching shoes don't fit comfortably in cracks.

By tenesmus
Aug 17, 2010

Bruce,
"We spoke once again, and she agreed to let me have the shoes free of charge, and wasn't exactly professional"

What's not professional about her giving it to you for free? She did a service for you, you weren't happy, she let you have it without charge.

Don't resoles usually stretch right back out after you use the shoes for a little while? Every re-sole is going to come back slightly different and the process of breaking them back in will let them fit back to your foot in context with the new rubber. Without that, they'd just be sloppy.

Maybe she should give you a back rub next time you don't like it. (ha!)

By Ishmail
From Utah
Aug 17, 2010
Ish

This isnít my first resole experience. A good resoler doesnít change the shape or size of the shoe. I tried to be objective with Overdose and express my concerns. All I wanted was a fair shake. Giving my shoes back to me for free was a very nice gesture, but the tone and response of her answer wasnít exactly professional.

I wonít know if parting ways like we did is a ďfair shakeĒ until another cobbler tears them down and sees why they fit dramatically different. I cannot climb with them in the condition she returned them to me. My partner thought I had sport shoes on because the toe box was so tight. Hopefully another cobbler can fix the resizing (Overdose was the first cobbler to touch this pair).

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit further.

By G Traub
From Salt Lake City
Aug 17, 2010

I've had 2 pair done by overdose. I am, and have been happy with the job and will go back in the future.

By Fast_Eddie.
Aug 17, 2010
Learning to Fly

I've had two pairs done as well and was also pleased. She did a great job on the rands and my Fires have never climbed better!

By john bald
Aug 18, 2010

Nice turnaround on some Acopas I had done. Good thing they were gym shoes....One side was pointy-toed, whereas the other was blunt fat foot. Guess it takes a knack to get 'em right. Not worth sending them back. Price was right!

By jnrose5
Aug 18, 2010
Ouray...

I've used Cascade Cobbler for the past few years, and I've never seen another company come close to their quality and craftsmanship. Worth the extra shipping $$$ in my opinion...

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Aug 18, 2010
El Chorro

I use The Friction Fix in Fayetteville, WV. Professional work... the best job you could possibly get. 5.10 rubber and it just seems like the Babkirks have done a million shoes before they work on yours... perfect! Competitive pricing, fast turn around. I asked for a favor once and got a pair of shoes back in less than a week.

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Aug 18, 2010
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

I used Overdose a couple months ago. As others have said, the toe rand came back a little pointier, but it didn't affect sizing or fit for me. I liked not having to pay shipping (drop box at the gym) on top of an already pretty low resole price. The resole was good enough for me, and I'll be using the company again.

I've also used Flyin' Brian's resoles in Vegas. The quality there was perfect, but more expensive. I'll stick with Overdose for now.

By Shawnee
Sep 22, 2010

Bruce, I was curious what the other cobbler had to say about your shoes when you sent them in. What was the issue, or do they just need a break in period?

By John Evans
Nov 14, 2012

So, Overdose Resoles is on indefinite hiatus in Hawaii, and I need some work done, though not to climbing shoes (yet).

My wife has a pretty bad crampon slice on her alpine boots across the top of the toe box and into the rand. The slice looks a bit too deep to just put shoe goo on it and forget about. Any suggestions for getting this repaired in the Salt Lake valley? Or sending them off somewhere else?

Is there a new climbing shoe resoler in the valley?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John