Outdoor Climbing vs. Indoor Climbing and Why it Doesn't Matter

By Kelly P
From The Bubble, CO
Apr 8, 2014

mojagear.com/journal/

Interested to hear viewpoints on this blog post. I personally found it poorly written and self centered. Furthermore, it concerned me that it seemed to imply indoor climbers shouldn't be bothered by outdoor ethics. Curious if I am reacting too harshly to this and what others think.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 8, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

I'm having trouble finding the point of that post...

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Apr 8, 2014
Mathematical!

Kelly P wrote:

I didn't get that from the article. Thought it was a whole lotta noise about nothing, though.

By John Harkins
From Colorado
Apr 8, 2014
me

ethics are important. gym climbing is definitely fun, but it is not the pure experience that made humans climb to begin with...

By David Barbour
From Longmont, CO
Apr 8, 2014

this has nothing to do with ethics. he's just saying stop giving a shit what other people do with their time.

By Jamespio
Apr 8, 2014

Wow, he used many, many words to say absolutely nothing. He trotted out lots of stereotypes, admitted they were stereotypes but defended them "for the purpose of this piece" and then never got around to any purpose whatsoever.

Guy can write a little bit, but he clearly can't think of anything worth writing.

By Kevinmurray
Apr 8, 2014

Outdoor climbing is climbing, gym and sport climbing is merely ascending.

By jeff lebowski
Apr 8, 2014

Guy should ask for the $100K back that it took to educate him.

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Apr 8, 2014
Edge of a Dream

By Sander DiAngelis
From San Luis Obispo, CA
Apr 8, 2014
At Crazy Horse in northern Thailand!

Knowing the writer personally, I think his point is fairly straightforward: it really doesn't matter whether you prefer crushing plastic or granite, as long as you're being genuine with yourself and others. Climbing is a gift ... to each their own.

By Brad M
Apr 9, 2014

Sander DiAngelis wrote:

Lol sounds like you two share the same bong.

This is gold.
derpy blog wrote:
It is my strong opinion that Climbing has evolved past the boundaries of the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevadas

By doug rouse
From Denver, CO.
Apr 9, 2014

^^^THat was funny!

By Jamespio
Apr 9, 2014

Brad M wrote:
This is gold. I was totally unaware that climbing occurred anywhere outside these two areas of the western united states. What an informative blog post.

I noticed that when I read it also. Has this guy ever actually left the west coast?

And, Sander Diangelis, if that was his point why didn't he write that? Instead, he's got 500 words of drivel, stereotypes, incomplete thoughts, and rationalizations, without a point.

The first trick to writing well is having a goal. A specific goal, not "I want to write about indoor and outdoor climbing." This is usually best expressed as "I want the reader to understand __________." Everyone who writes has written something unfocused, undirected and pointless. But most of us don't publish it on the internet for others to read.

To the OP, let this one go. The guy had no point, so there's no point in responding to it.

By Kelly P
From The Bubble, CO
Apr 9, 2014

Haha yes you guys are right. I only noticed it because it was being spread around the web and discussed as though it was some piece of literary gold! I thought it was poorly written and was unaware climbing required capitalization in every sentence. Learn something new everyday :)

By Adam B