Out of towner seeking Minnesota climbing partner Oct 25-30

By Paul Suhr
From New Haven, CT
Aug 25, 2014
I will be in St. Paul, MN for a week and was hoping to get outside climbing on the weekend of Oct 25-26th and throughout the following week in the gym most likely. I'm coming from Connecticut so not too sure of what's close and fun. I sport climb mostly (lead 5.7-8) am male, 33 years old, 165 lb. Let me know if anyone's around or if you have any suggestions on where to go. Thanks!
-Paul

By Pontoon
From Minneapolis, Minnesota
Aug 25, 2014
Sport climbing: Sandstone and Red Wing (Barn Bluff). There aren't many 5.7-5.8.

By Tony Vezzoli
Sep 2, 2014
Late October in Minnesota, you need good luck for weather. Could be sunny and 70 or snowing. Barn bluff is best bet for sport climbs. Rock is dolemite and can feel dusty and greasy. Bring the sticky shoes.

By flynn
Sep 2, 2014
I'm up in Ely, nearest the North Shore for climbing. This is a no-chalk area. Can't remember whether Red Wing has that policy...?

By Pontoon
From Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sep 2, 2014
Go nuts with the chalk at Red Wing.

By Peter L Scott
Sep 2, 2014
Use chalk on the North shore if you wish. Many do.

By Tony Vezzoli
Sep 4, 2014
Peter, lots of people drink until they pass out too, that doesn't mean it's a good idea. North Shore ethic is no chalk, respect the locals.

By Peter L Scott
Sep 4, 2014
Tony Vezzoli wrote:

I am a local, since 1980. My contributions to the North Shore can be found in the comments section Of Palisade Head. Lots of people make ignorant comments and look stupid, that doesn't mean its a good idea. You should know your history before you make a stance. This is a tiresome fruitless debate but if you want to have a go.... I hope your not one of the people who on their 5th top roping trip to the head like to confront strangers on their chalk use. That stranger may have been using chalk there since before you were born.

By Peter L Scott
Sep 5, 2014
Paul Surh, sorry your thread got hijacked. Every area has it's hot button topic. Chalk on the North Shore is Minnesota's. I hope you get some climbing in on your visit here.