Ouray Anyone recommend good guides?

By jduby
Oct 23, 2012

New Ice climber here. I've done some glacier climbing and have my own equipment now. I'm going to be in ouray for the four days leading up to the festival, as well as the festival itself. Can anyone recommend a good guide for the first four days? Also, what can I expect from the event? Boozing? Music? Weather?

Any insight will be most helpful.

By Peter Blank
From Grand Junction, Colorado
Oct 23, 2012

Check out James Turner. You'll get up whatever
you want.

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Oct 24, 2012
Mt. Churchill, University Range

Skyward Mountaineering.

By mattb19
Oct 24, 2012
DNF

San Juan has some great guys( I must admit I work there) and has all the great permits.

As for the fest expect a crowded little town with lots of things to do. It can feel like a big party if you are hanging with that crew. Music would be sweet but it's more of a slideshow every night kinda of event which most people seem to really dig. Overall it's a lot of fun and a great event not to be missed.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 24, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

jduby wrote:
Also, what can I expect from the event? Boozing? Music? Weather? Any insight will be most helpful.

Lots of swinging sausage. Hot tubs with boiling sausage. Hot springs with more boiling sausage. Ice. DJs. That about covers it.

By jduby
Oct 24, 2012

Stich wrote:

I sure hope you are talking about breakfast meat here...
Also, are guides neccessary during the festival, or will there groups of climbers and top ropes set up?

By jduby
Oct 24, 2012

Yikes, this is pretty expensive. Do these guys have group packages?

By mattb19
Oct 24, 2012
DNF

jduby wrote:
Yikes, this is pretty expensive. Do these guys have group packages?

Sign up for one of the guided programs it will be cheaper than 1:1 guiding.

By J. Surette
From Denver, CO
Oct 24, 2012

I think there is a guy by the name of Steve House that guides down there. You might want to look him up, he has climbed a few things in his life.