Organizing Oregon climbing areas

Santiam Pinnacle (2) - Santiam
Shellburg Falls (0) - Santiam
Wolf Rock (10) Santiam

By hotlum
From Roseburg, OR
Jan 22, 2014
East face of the Monkey with Mt. Jefferson to the west.
Looks like a lot of work. I would just organize into 4 sections:
Western Oregon
Cascades
Central Oregon
Eastern Oregon

By Micah Klesick
From Vancouver, WA
Jan 22, 2014
New routes!
That would work, but the Mt Hood and Gorge areas have so many climbs, I think they would be better split into their own areas...

By Michael Swanson
From Oregon
Jan 23, 2014
Great idea, the Oregon page has needed organizing for quite some time.
I think Oregon breaks up pretty well geographically like this:
Coast (including coast range, mary's peak, etc)
Willamette Valley
Portland area
Southwestern Oregon
Cascades (Hood, Jefferson, 3 Sisters, etc)
Central Oregon
Northeastern Oregon
Southeastern Oregon (Outside of Leslie Gulch, is there even any established climbing to list down there?)

The Oregon page at rockclimbing.com is organized in a similar fashion

By Micah Klesick
From Vancouver, WA
Jan 24, 2014
New routes!
Cool, thanks for the input. I've got a few changes the map that I'll make, and then see if I can get an admin to give me permission to make the changes!

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Jan 24, 2014
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gates <br />(i.e. 10 pitches to the tram station)
I started the NE Oregon section and I am all for it. I like Michael Swanson's suggestion:

Coast (including coast range, mary's peak, etc)
Willamette Valley
Portland area
Southwestern Oregon
Cascades (Hood, Jefferson, 3 Sisters, etc)
Central Oregon
Northeastern Oregon
Southeastern Oregon

But I do like the Gorge Idea.

Let me ask this where would the Menagerie fit in with system?

By Micah Klesick
From Vancouver, WA
Jan 25, 2014
New routes!
Oregon Climbing Areas
Oregon Climbing Areas

Here is the changes I made. The Menagerie will go into Willamette area. I didn't make a Cascades area, I think thats confusing with all the Mt Hood climbs, so I think it will be easier to put them into the respective areas (Mt Hood, and Central OR). I combined all the South areas, since there isn't much down there.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Jan 25, 2014
Middle
Micah Klesick wrote:
Hey fellow climbers! So WA admins just recently organized their climbing cliffs into centralized areas, and did a really nice job of it, thanks to Jon and a couple others. I'd like to do the same for Oregon. I'm a Columbia Gorge resident and climber, and do a lot of Oregon climbing, and it would be nice to get all those areas Oregon has to offer into organized sections. So I drew up a Oregon map, and split it into areas based on density of climbs, access and freeways. I also listed all the climbs based on the area. So I'm posting it here, to see what you guys think. Is there interest in doing this? I'm willing to do the work if I get the go ahead and permission from an Admin. Micah Here is the break down of cliffs that I came up with based on directions in the areas. Let me know if any are in the wrong area. Eagle Creek (2) - Closed Burnt River Canyon (15) East North Eastern Oregon (176) - NE Pine Creek (0) NE Depoe Bay Viewpoint Cliffs (3) - NW Coast Hagg-Lake Rock Slab (1) - NW Coast Mill Creek Park Boulder (2) - NW Coast P-IKE Boulders (8) - NW Coast Rocky Creek (1) NW Coast Greensprings (3) - SW Pilot Rock (1) - SW Rabbit Ears (Rogue) (1) - SW Rattlesnake (32) - SW Badlands, The (17) - Central Central Oregon Bouldering (0) - Central Eagle Crest Resort (1) - Central Mt. Jefferson (2) - Central Mt. Washington (2) - Central Power Lines (0) - Central Shepards Tower (1) - Central Smith Rock (592) - Central Steins Pillar (3) Central Three Fingered Jack (1) Central Three Sisters Wilderness (3) Central Trout Creek (64) Central Tumalo SP (0) - Central Williamson River Cliffs (4) - Central Area 51 (1) - MT Hood Bulo Point (17) - Mt Hood Coethedral (6) - Mt Hood Coethedral -The Steeple area (2) - Mt Hood Enola Hill (2) - Mt Hood French's Dome (18) - Mt Hood Illumination Rock (2) - Mt Hood Little Crag, The (0) - Mt Hood Mt. Hood (12) - Mt Hood Pete's Pile (5) - Mt Hood Ramona Creek Crag (3) - Mt Hood Salmon River Slab (5) - Mt Hood Alsea Wall (3) - SW Coast Callahans, The (13) - SW Coast Corvallis Boulders (0) - SW Coast Harlen Rock Quarry (6) - SW Coast Mary's Peak (0) - SW Coast Beacon Rock (35) - Gorge Broughton Bluff (66) - Gorge Carver (54) - Columbia Gorge Cascade Boulders (0) - Gorge Madrone Wall (0) - Columbia Gorge Portland Buildering (2) - Gorge Rail Road Crag in LO (0) - Gorge - Closed Rat Cave (18) - Gorge Rocky Butte (25) - Gorge Canyon Creek (2) - Santiam Columns, The (12) - Santiam Valley Flagstone (23) - Santiam Valley Garden, The (57) - Santiam Valley Hills Creek Spires (10) - Santiam Moolack (19) - Santiam Santiam Pinnacle (2) - Santiam Shellburg Falls (0) - Santiam Wolf Rock (10) Santiam

You missed Acker Rock but otherwise I like your organization. Quadrants of the state do not give an accurate representation of the geography.

By gso
Feb 12, 2014
Let's see, for W Oregon south of Detroit you may want to include Acker Rock (20), The Callahans (200+), Eagle Rock (4), Old Man and Old Woman (5), McKinley Rock (9), The Honeycombs (42), Rattlesnake Rock (4), Rattlesnake-Rogue (115), Rabbit Ears-Rogue (24), Redmans Tooth Pinnacles (10), Jurassic Park (10), Moolack (78), Flagstone (71), Wolf Rock (25+), The Menagerie (160+), Skinner's Butte (40), Pilot Rock (7), Emigrant Lake (29), Greensprings (33), Hills Creek Pinnacles (27), Santiam Pinnacles (5), Youtklut Pillars (15).

I'd also include Williamson Cliffs(90)with the SW portion since it is so accessible from Medford and Ashland.

By Micah Klesick
From Vancouver, WA
Feb 14, 2014
New routes!
Good thoughts. I've currently got the map all done, but I have not been able to get ahold of the admin I was told that would have to handle the permissions. Hopefully soon I'll hear from him and then I can get the project updated!