Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Only in the Potrero could I get away with this...
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By todd w
Mar 14, 2013

Steve Knowlton wrote:
How sharp is the edge of that thing? Seems the rap would run right over it...


good post


FLAG
By mr. mango
Mar 14, 2013
north wash

Found this on another thread. Just thought I'd share.

Hmmmmmm.
Hmmmmmm.


FLAG
By Superclimber
Mar 14, 2013

More Macho Madness...

>
Hahahahahahahaha, fucken awesome! Well done.


FLAG
By Ed Wright
Mar 14, 2013
Magic Ed

Since somebody brought it up, we did actually carry a Lazy Boy Recliner all the way up to the East bluffs at Devil's Lake once. Made for the best belay seat ever!


Lazy Boy Recliner at Devil's Lake around '79 or '80.
Lazy Boy Recliner at Devil's Lake around '79 or '80.


FLAG
By Micahisaac
From Longmont, CO
Mar 14, 2013
soloing Boulder Canyon Upper Falls

I have nothing clever to say. I direct flames this disgrace and anyone involved.


FLAG
By Alex Washburne
Mar 14, 2013
I eat crack for breakfast.

Every place has got its style, and I'll let the locals decide what style that is, but I gotta say - that belay ledge is really living up to Mexico's famous hospitality!


FLAG
By ccross
From San Diego, CA
Mar 14, 2013

grog m wrote:
Looks good Ed. All these haters are spraying about rust problems, where rust (iron) is inherently in the rock as it is. Anyways, we all know everyone on this thread would stand on that shelf and love every second of it.

All these haters spraying about graffiti problems, where paint is on the walls as it is.
Don't take me seriously.


FLAG
By Ed Wright
Mar 15, 2013
Magic Ed

I've enjoyed reading the comments on my post. As I expected, those who have climbed in the Potrero are OK with the ledge while most of the naysayers have never been here. Supertaco and mp generated the liveliest debate while almost nobody on rc.com bothered to comment.

Some legitimate issues were brought up so I'll reply.

1. I was born and raised in Mexico, am a full citizen of the country and have lived in the Potrero for more than 20 years so I believe I qualify as a true local.

2. The ledge is not just a chunk of off-the-shelf angle-iron. I had it custom made to be barely big enough for two people to stand on for a short time, taking into consideration the angle of the wall. I also made absolutely sure that all edges and corners were well rounded and burr-free to prevent any rope damage.

3. None of the vegetation that we remove to create our routes is in any way endangered. On the contrary, all this stuff used to be harvested for various uses, a whole industry that died out with the advent of synthetics. It is now growing rampant over thousands of square miles in northern Mexico. The amount we remove is like a drop in the ocean.

4. Safety issues in the Potrero. This morning I drove a group of climbers (who had been here for 2 months and had a fabulous time) to the airport at 2:30am with no worries. Would I drive around inside the city of Monterrey at that hour? No, not unless it were a life-and-death scenario such as taking someone to the hospital.


FLAG
By Ian Stewart
Mar 15, 2013

One more thing: had you bolted the metal on upside-down relative to how it is now, you would have increased the usable surface area to stand on.


FLAG
By M Sprague
Administrator
From New England
Mar 15, 2013
Lichen head. Me, with my usual weatherbeaten, lichen covered look from scrubbing a new route.

John D wrote:
seems like a poor solution for a poorly planned belay, but to each his own

+100


FLAG
By David Barbour
From Charlotte, NC
Mar 15, 2013

i'm glad this wouldn't be tolerated in the areas i climb at. there's a clear line between fixed protection and fixed luxury items. this sets a crappy precedent


FLAG
By Ken@roadtrip
From Ut, Id, AZ
Mar 15, 2013

In a word: Ridiculous!
Custom made? Give me a break. Sure, perhaps climbers will be the only ones to see this, but myself for one would be embarrassed to come upon this manky piece of crap! Where's the pride in this?


FLAG
By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Mar 15, 2013
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA I was working on - don't see that every day...

Ed Wright wrote:
As I expected, those who have climbed in the Potrero are OK with the ledge while most of the naysayers have never been here.


If you're going to start bolting big pieces of angle iron to the cliff, why stop there? Do it right and make a 2' x 3' platform with safety railing, drink holders and some of those telescopes that they have at the Grand Canyon overlooks.

If you're counting votes - put me down for lame. And no, I have not climbed there.


FLAG
By todd w
Mar 15, 2013

These haters are funny.


FLAG
By Jack Sparrow
From denver, co
Mar 15, 2013

So many haters chill out he's just making a point that potrero is one of the only places were the 3 r system applies. No rules regulations or rangers. Here's my advice don't come down we don't need any of your negative vibes down here anyways. Enjoy the office life you weekend warriors. Sent from la Posada in El potrero on a beautiful spring day.


FLAG
By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Mar 15, 2013
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

Glenn Schuler wrote:
If you're going to start bolting big pieces of angle iron to the cliff, why stop there? Do it right and make a 2' x 3' platform with safety railing, drink holders and some of those telescopes that they have at the Grand Canyon overlooks. If you're counting votes - put me down for lame. And no, I have not climbed there.


If you make it look safe then you have to bolt a signable waiver to the belay to make sure people understand that it is not up to code ;)


FLAG
By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Mar 15, 2013

Jack Sparrow wrote:
So many haters chill out he's just making a point that potrero is one of the only places were the 3 r system applies. No rules regulations or rangers. Here's my advice don't come down we don't need any of your negative vibes down here anyways. Enjoy the office life you weekend warriors. Sent from la Posada in El potrero on a beautiful spring day.

The hippie bro-brah vibe this post is dripping with should be enough to keep most of us from coming down. Why go all the way to Mexico to run into a Colorado douchebag transplant with argumentative skills which are probably inversely proportional to the size of his trust fund...


FLAG
By Will Butler
From Boulder, CO
Mar 15, 2013
ice park

Boissal wrote:
The hippie bro-brah vibe this post is dripping with should be enough to keep most of us from coming down. Why go all the way to Mexico to run into a Colorado douchebag transplant with argumentative skills which are probably inversely proportional to the size of his trust fund...


What do you have against trust funds? Seem pretty awesome to me.


FLAG
By The Lingering Fart
Mar 15, 2013

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Enjoy the office life you weekend warriors. Sent from la Posada in El potrero on a beautiful spring day.


I would rather have a trust fund like you.

Sent from reality.


FLAG
By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Mar 15, 2013
CoR

EricSchmidt wrote:
Good point. I guess chipping is no longer an issue either since rocks eventually fall of... Maybe I could come to Salt Lake and turn The Coffin into a hand crack because eventually God is going to turn it into one as well.... Some peoples stupidity while trying to make a point is amazing!


Most things go over your head don't they? We will have to leave that as a rhetorical question.


FLAG
By Jack Sparrow
From denver, co
Mar 15, 2013

No trust fund guys I wish though. Thx for the good vibes brah. I'll be heading back to my serving job asap. All hail the weekend warrior. Douchebag hippie out.


FLAG
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Mar 15, 2013
Sure, I can belay

Eric G. wrote:
I would rather have a trust fund like you. Sent from reality.


You have no idea what you are talking about.
"Jack" is a super enthusiastic, positive young guy who works hard for his money.


FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 15, 2013

rging wrote:
Most things go over your head don't they? We will have to leave that as a rhetorical question.


Mind telling me what went over my head? I guess you werent trying to be a dick and give me a hard time for my comment??


FLAG
By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Mar 15, 2013

EricSchmidt wrote:
Mind telling me what went over my head? I guess you werent trying to be a dick and give me a hard time for my comment??





FLAG
By bruno-cx
Mar 15, 2013
shirtless wonder

I get it...

You should have made the ledge out of sika. Would have matched the color of limestone an lasted longer.

+1 for shiz as it is mexico.


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>