ONLY Ascent of Ice at Starved Rock for 2012-2013 March 9th? Has anyone else climbed Ice at SRSP this season?

By Juggler
Mar 10, 2013
Ice at SR

Curious if our trip to SRSP Sat. March 9th, 2013 was the only climbing that was possible at the park this year(and the past 2+)? Dave and I had a gut feeling that with the snow in the past weeks and warm temps coupled with cold nights....could there be Nice Ice?

Well, we found Wildcat very nicely climbable. The rest of the park was a bust, though, and we hiked in everywhere...

If you were able to climb at SRSP this season, post up pix and dates. Thanks for sharing

Big Ice
Big Ice

Wildcat
Wildcat

Nice Ice at SRSP
Nice Ice at SRSP

youtu.be/sKyX3G6iTHU

By Gokul
Mar 13, 2013
At the "summit"

That looks pretty sweet! I was in the Chicago area this past week and would've loved to check it out, if only I'd known the park was open to climbing ice (and found a partner).

By jhn payne
Mar 13, 2013
"Ragin Cajun" 5.12c Jackson Falls, So Il.

Wished I would have know, never suspected any ice that late in the year. I've climbed Wildcat a couple of times, when it was a lot fatter than your picture, but it appears climbable. Second winter down here of no ice and me with a never used pair of Nomics.

By Juggler
Mar 13, 2013
Ice at SR

You should have been climbing with us at our ice tower the whole winter(South Suburbs of Chicago).

That's what we did besides Ice Fest in MI, Lone Rock, and SRSP. Keep in touch for next season.....

By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 13, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

jhn payne wrote:

Yes this was the third winter of 'no ice' at Starved Rock....until this short lived Wildcat ice showed up. We do hope that all climbers going there will continue to watch for online updates at midwestclimer webpages and to follow the park restrictions, check in at ranger station for official sign in/out board, and be sure they are allowing the climbing at that time.

By MidWestIceClimbing