One Year, Where to Go?

The Needles
Tahquitz
Joshua Tree

By Travis Larsen
From Ogden, UT
Jun 3, 2012

bugaboos, wind rivers, rocky mountain np......

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Jun 3, 2012
Thumbtastic

If you miss North Carolina, you're missing some of the best there is.

By JLP
From The Internet
Jun 3, 2012

14k is baller. Get out of the country with it.

By agd
Jun 3, 2012
alaska

Drake Pregnall wrote:
Hey all, I'm starting to try and plan a year long climbing trip, and was trying to get a hit list of about 20 spots across the country to check out. Possibly also dip into Mexico to see El Portrero or Canada to go to Squamish. I'd mostly be looking to trad climb, but definitely throw in some sport climbing too. Not as much bouldering, but maybe hit one or two bouldering destinations along the way. At this point, my rough list is as follows: New River Gorge Red River Gorge El Portrero Hueco Tanks Red Rocks Moab Boulder Vedauwoo Devils Tower Tetons City of Rocks Index Squamish Smith Rocks Yosemite Bishop The Needles Tahquitz Joshua Tree Any input as to national class destinations to also see would be greatly appreciated. Even better would be if anyone has done a similar trip and can give me an idea for costs to expect. My rough estimate is about 13 or 14K for the whole year. Thanks everybody!

Just curious -- what's your story? How are you able to do this?

By Drake Pregnall
From Lake Placid, NY
Jun 4, 2012
Leading up Eat Yourself A Pie 5.8+ at Barkeater in the Adirondacks

RMNP would be awesome. Definitely slipped my mind. And I've heard from a friend that NC offers some great climbing. I'll have to ask him more about it.

JLP, 14 was a really maximum high end estimate just working out numbers on a calculator. 10 is more realistic for what I'll be able to make happen when it comes time to try and do this.

And alexdavis, it's always been kind of a goal/dream/plan of mine to go back to the west coast for a while (Coos Bay, OR to be exact) because I spent a lot of my childhood out there. Once i started climbing, I figured I could put any money I've been saving away and what I will be saving away in the near future towards that goal. It may end up being a couple months shy of a whole year, but I think it would be awesome so I'm doing what I can to try and make it happen.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Jun 4, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks

Sounds like fun. I assume you already have a partner. I would simply follow the good weather. If you are camping you can do the trip cheap.

By Scott O
From California
Jun 5, 2012
Batman Pinnacle

The Dread Pirate Killis wrote:
If you miss North Carolina, you're missing some of the best there is.

Having the New and the Red to suck in the road trippers keeps our crags uncrowded. It's nice that way.

By BurtMachlan
Jun 5, 2012

Scott O wrote:

Whats the name of that crag in NC that offers as many 5 star routes as the new or the red?

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Jun 5, 2012
Thumbtastic

Burt Machlan=Dexter Rutecki=Eric Dorsey=toolbag unwelcome in NC, stick to the Panty Wall, pottymouth.

By Matt Hoffmann
From Squamish
Jun 5, 2012
 Matt Hoffmann - Matt on 3AM crack

Second vote for adding the the bugaboos to your list. Amazing destination.

Smith -> Index -> Squamish -> Bugs is just fun fun fun. Only downside is the bugs are a bit of a longer drive from Squamish (~12 hours). Also worth ticking Mt Sir Donald (classic 5.4 ridge) if you make it up there.

Have an awesome trip!

By Shiho
Jun 5, 2012

The Dread Pirate Killis wrote:
If you miss North Carolina, you're missing some of the best there is.

Very true! NC is sick! Better than the red and the new combined in my opinion. I would add Zion to the list, too.

By Michael Slater
From Denver
Jun 8, 2012

I don't know if by listing Boulder you are including Eldorado Canyon or not but it is a must if you're in the front range. Clear Creek Canyon outside of Golden is also a great side trip from Boulder/Eldo. One year of climbing awesomeness sounds pretty great, enjoy!

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jun 8, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

If you can partner up then The Black should be on that list.

By JoeValley
Jun 8, 2012

www.mountainproject.com/v/full-time-climbing/106991694#a_106>>>

What time of year are you starting? Will you be leaving from New York? I will plan your trip for you for 1k.

By CareBear
From SLC, UT
Jun 8, 2012

I hope you're including Indian creek with Moab?

By Drake Pregnall
From Lake Placid, NY
Jun 8, 2012
Leading up Eat Yourself A Pie 5.8+ at Barkeater in the Adirondacks

Thanks for all the advice. Ill definitely have to add some NC spots, and certainly the Black and Zion.