Omega Pacific bentgate from Gear Express

By Dan Felix
Sep 3, 2012
Just a heads-up... About a month ago I put together some alpine draws as cheaply as I could, and used some Omega Pacific biners for the rope side. These are Gear Express specific 'biners:
gearexpress.biz/Merchant2/merc...

While putting away gear today I noticed that at the top of the spine of the 'biner, on the inside of the radius right where the rope runs through it is a slightly indented round spot that has slightly pronounced edges. Definitely nothing that would cut a rope, but my feeling is that it's something that should not be there. I'm sure the rope would eventually polish it out, but taking no further chances I used a small buffing wheel on the Dremel and beat the rope to it today. Took about a minute per 'biner. I know at least a couple of them had seen some use a few weeks ago at Rumney and were partially polished out before I finished it.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but if anyone else has bought these or are thinking about it I figured they might like to take a look at theirs.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Sep 3, 2012
Bocan
I'd be reluctant to let a rope "polish" out a biner.

By dannl
Sep 3, 2012
I think those dimples are from pull testing. Nice inspection.

By Dan Felix
Sep 3, 2012
Scott, me too, which is why I decided to take the Dremel to them! In the link I posted, at least on my screen, you can almost see a flat spot in the area I describe in the picture.

dannl- I don't know what process is used for pull testing, but something tells me it's from part of the manufacturing process. Each of my 5 'biners had the exact same indentation in the exact same spot.

By RockyMtnTed
Sep 3, 2012
Is this a joke? Taking a dremel to your carabiners sounds as equally dumb as letting a rope polish them. How about just buying good biners to start with so you dont have to dremel them out?

By Dan Felix
Sep 3, 2012
Ted, no joke. I used a buffing wheel, not a grinder. The indentations were barely more than the paint thickness. If using the buffing wheel means I get 5 fewer routes out of the biners but another year out of the rope, I'm ok with that. Trust me, if I could have afforded better I would have. However, a mortgage, child support and every other bill I have at the moment dictated these biners when I bought them. I wish I could simply replace them, but right now life dictates that I can't. Had I known beforehand that there were indentations in the biners, I would have been fine spending another dollar per and gotten different ones.

As for the question of whether there's a similar indentation at the other end, I am not sure. I didn't notice one, but I will certainly double check when I get the chance.