Oldest rope you've climbed on: Poll

By WDW4
Oct 30, 2013
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

I recently replaced a rope, due to age rather than falls or wear (sadly, I don't climb as often as I'd like). What is the oldest rope you've climbed on? Reply anonymously via this LINK , or just post below.

If I get a good number of responses in the poll, I'll post the numbers on this thread.

By Brian in SLC
Oct 30, 2013
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

When I started climbing, I borrowed my dad's old goldline. Had to be at least 25+ years old at the time.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 30, 2013

Back in 2005 or so, I climbed on a rope that was purchased in 1993. I was dubious of the rope's quality, especially after I found 2 core shots in it, and the ropes owner just shrugged and said- yeah, theyve been there for a few months. Good times.

By Greg Barnes
Oct 30, 2013
Hanging out with Karin on the summit of Warlock Needle. Photo by Josh Janes.

About 25-30 years, '50s rope in the mid '80s (might have dated to 1954). My dad threw my brother and I on a top-rope when we were kids with his old rope. Pre-goldline (non-kernmantle - no sheath), 3 main strands, stiff as a cable, and he showed us how you inspect the rope when you're done (go along the whole rope and twist it open and check for rocks between the strands).

My brother and I didn't even think about climbing again until we each stumbled upon rock climbing many years later as adults...

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Oct 30, 2013

i finally donated my 10 year old 10.2 to some boaters. id still climb on it.

By Josh Kornish
Oct 30, 2013
The Roach

Wear wise. In Colombia I was leading close to my limit on a super fuzzy rope with one side completely frayed. That's suesca Colombia

By Brian in SLC
Oct 30, 2013
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

John Wilder wrote:

This particular owner doesn't carry Pecks on his rack, by chance? Ha ha.

I still have a fair hunk of the first rope I bought (used). Be interesting to test it. I got it in 1982. Just used it to tie a wine chiller into a truck. Bomber!

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 30, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Brian in SLC wrote:

Have top roped on a 1975 Mammut bicolor rope in the last year. It creaks' now, so finally retired it. BUT I do have a similar age goldline that is totally good, still stiff and hard to coil. I'd not lead on it due to the loong stretch that goldline has, but I'd trust it for toprope falls any day yet. It is in virtually pristine condition with few UV hours ever on it. It's just to hard to feed through a belay device for any normal use.

By jake 356
From worcester
Oct 30, 2013

Blue water 10.5 bought as my first rope in 2003, about six mints after starting climbing.

By Kyle O
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 30, 2013
Sunset on top of the Goose Head via Golden Egg  <br /> <br />Photo by Nate

My rope is at least 14 years old. It just towed my car home no problem though!

By flynn
Oct 30, 2013

Only about 10 years.

Never mind the dreaded comment from my partner to somebody else: "I'm not gonna say how old these ropes are, because you (me) have to climb with 'em at Devils Tower!"

By Dave Lynch
From Douglas, Wyoming
Oct 31, 2013
Sunny day on Lost Marsupial, The Throne.

15 years. After ice climbing a couple years in Alaska with it. My main climbing buddy & I were in the same Basic Mountaineering class when that question came up. Funniest look on his face when the instructors answered. "Dude, how old is your rope?". He knew. That was the end of that rope.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Oct 31, 2013

9 years. I had no problem climbing on it, but it was as fat as Jabba The Hutt and so it had to go.

By Gunkiemike
Oct 31, 2013

A couple of my TR ropes are 25 yr old.

By JSH
JSH @ home <br /> <br />photo courtesy of Gabe Ostriker

I've climbed on Mike's TR ropes. So, yeah.

By Ian White
From Dubois, Wyoming
Oct 31, 2013

I just test mine every now and again. Either pull a truck out of something, or pull a tree over. If it don't break..... It's good to go and I throw it back in my pack. Only contingency is before the test, I must say "Hold my beer. Watch this."

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

maybe 10 years?

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

I have one bootied from a fatal in 92 or so that is still fine for top roping. Due to the bad Juju never led on it though.

By josh holmes
a picture of rocks

Either Marek the Czechs rope down in IC, back in 2001, or my first rope, a hand me down, was probably 10-12 yrs old, had been up a couple of walls and had a nice crusty feel to it. But hands down Marek's was the scariest. only about 8 years old he told me, but was "good rope" and not to worry he told me because he "did (his) first 14a with this rope" and it had [. multiple core shots, the sheath had slipped about 8 inches on one end and the act of passing through a belay device effectively shaved off the excess fuzz.

By WDW4
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

With 55 responses, the current results are:

Boom
Boom

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Oh c'mon, add an 'over 30 years' space to that graph and give me my 1% line on it.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

pretty sure that would qualify as part of the "I don't know how old that ratty thing was" category.

By nicelegs
From Denver
Oct 31, 2013

I have a gold line in my garage. Anyone want to whip on it?

Maybe we can get Austin to video tape it and put it on buzzfeed.

By WDW4
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Haha, noted. I was figuring on a pretty high percentage in the 10-15 year range, but was a little surprised by the comments and posts in the 20+ range.