old rope, kid, need seat I can hang her in.
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Spiro
summit of whitney

Anyone ever make a hanging seat for their kid out of old rope? She is under a year and it would be nice to hang her from a tree while we boulder.

Any ideas welcome.

By Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Oct 24, 2013
Goofin' on the Grand after soloing the Upper Exum with my wife.

Haven't made a seat but we have often taken a Johnny Jump-up type seat or other light swing seats to the crag to help keep our kiddos contained and entertained while cragging.

I'd be interested in how to make a hanging seat out of rope and how much time it would take to do so.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

Kidco Peapod rules, zip the kid up! this was posted on Mtn Proj 3 years ago and came in very handy for the first 3 years of my kids life. she has slept in it hundreds of times and still plays in it.

www.kidco.com/products-page/peapod-plus/

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

Yikes.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Locker wrote:
"She is under a year and it would be nice to hang her from a tree while we boulder." Yikes.

Snuggled up in a tight wrap, into a backpack set aside away from cliff edges, might be warmer and more secure way of keeping a lid on the little one.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

I practice the same child mangement techniques as TR purist. Other kids at the crag are always visiting my kid in his tent. They have a blast in there. Then when it is naptime, he has a comfy bed and something to keep the sun out of his eyes and bugs off him.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

^^^

A LOT smarter than HANGING your child from a tree.

LOL!

;-)

By Joshua1979
From Colorado Springs, CO
Oct 24, 2013

What's wrong with hanging your kid from a tree in a johnny jumper?

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

The way many people are here, I can see that happening.

LOL!

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I do recall taking a pic decades ago, of a climbing couple with their own home made basket device, hanging the kid from a branch about 8 ft. off the ground, right near the belayer. It looked pretty awesome, and scary too at the same time.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Oct 24, 2013
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

Joshua1979 wrote:
What's wrong with hanging your kid from a tree in a johnny jumper? Just don't leave him at the crag and make a post in the lost and found forum the next day ;)

Do you put your rack markings on the wrist, forehead? What do you use? Electric tape? Nail polish? Lots of questions to be answered here.

By Spiro
summit of whitney

Not sure what the problem is with hanging my from a tree. People put kids in jumpers all the time...anyway.

My girl likes to sit up an look around, hence my idea of being hung from a tree. I dont plan on putting her 10ft off the ground!

Don

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Mt. Agassiz

Locker wrote:
"Just don't leave him at the crag and make a post in the lost and found forum the next day" The way many people are here, I can see that happening. LOL!

We were climbing X-route when it started to get dark. My second couldn't get the seat out of the tree, so we left. When we came back 10 days later to retrieve the baby, it was GONE! Baby has sentimental value. Good karma and beer for whoever returns it.

By Spiro
summit of whitney

Rick Blair wrote:

DNA...the ultimate identifier.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

Spiro wrote:
DNA...the ultimate identifier.

That's how locker marks all his gear.

By Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Oct 24, 2013
Goofin' on the Grand after soloing the Upper Exum with my wife.

Oh my gosh, somebody needs to tell that kid to get off that swing! Trees are dangerous, don't they know! You can't put your kid in a tree! They should be home sitting on the couch watching TV!

By Spiro
summit of whitney

someone get that kid down, inhumane treatment.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro

Don't be the 1.

By Rick Blair
From Denver

Matt N wrote:
That's how locker marks all his gear.

Gnarly

By foodgeek
Oct 25, 2013

Peapod is totally the way to go.

naptime at the crag
naptime at the crag

By Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
Oct 25, 2013
NH

The peapod is a good idea. I might have to get one for my little man. Hanging your kid from a tree in a "basket" doesnt sound like a good idea unless it was pretty deep and stable from flipping over or tipping. Maybe some type of harness or seat belt inside. My kids wouldn't have been able to do it they were always rolling around and moving too much.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 25, 2013
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Locker wrote:
^^^ A LOT smarter than HANGING your child from a tree. LOL! ;-)

Hanging your child from a tree? Que horror!

So how old is this child anyway and why not just use a car seat?

By Spiro
Oct 25, 2013
summit of whitney

Ryan Williams wrote:
Last time I went to Cochise Stronghold, I went sport climbing at the Isle of Ewe. I was trying to onsight some climb on the back side, in that little slot canyon (or whatever it's called). There was a couple with a baby that was napping in this little seat thing. I made a powerful move to a big chicken-head and pulled a baseball sized chunk of granite off the slightly overhanging wall. Before I knew it, and as I was yelling rock, I was watching the death rock falling towards the baby. It missed by about 3 feet. The odds are with you, but they are only called "odds" because they end with a 1. Don't be the 1.

that is why i want to only go bouldering! I do love the Stronghold, magical place.

By Spiro
Oct 25, 2013
summit of whitney

Stich wrote:
Hanging your child from a tree? Que horror! So how old is this child anyway and why not just use a car seat?

she is 4 months old, so she is pretty stationary now. That is a pretty good idea! Our car seat is pretty heavy, so i was hoping for something lighter, but i may just suck it up.

By Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
Oct 25, 2013
NH

I've used the carseat before and it works good just a pain to lug around. I've also brought out a pack and play to places with a shor approach. Lately me and my wife jst get a 3rd climber so we can switch off and play and take care of the kids. The kids enjoy this much more and is easier on us so we're not distracted climbing or belaying when the baby was fussing.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 25, 2013
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Spiro wrote:

Yeah, don't trying hiking in to do Plumb Line in Vedauwoo with it on your arm or it will pump you out. Ha ha. The thing that's nice about the car seat is that it has the seat belt and sun visor. You can put the kid in a chest carrier and put the car seat upside down on the top of your pack to hike somewhere. That works well, too.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>