Offwidths in the Wasatch?

By Tyler W
From Utah
Nov 11, 2013
Scooby Snacks

Favorite OW climbs? Specifically in LCC?

By Stevie Nacho
From Utah
Nov 11, 2013

Burner Buttress (all three routes)
Certain Death
The Cloister
3rd pitch of Schoolroom (kind of a chimney)
2nd or 3rd pitch of Sportsmans Paradise (i can't remember which one)
Robbins pitch on the top of the Thumb

By michael voth

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
Nov 12, 2013
meow

+1 for Certain Death -

Cashmere is brutal.

I haven't tried it but On the Waterfront is considered OW.

The 2nd pitch of Crescent - more of a squeeze.

We'll have to get out before it's too snowy Tyler!

By tim naylor
Nov 12, 2013

bong eater

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Nov 12, 2013
The route in it's entirety.

chimney variation to the 3rd pitch of schoolroom. when combined with the lower portion it's like 40m of wide. groove/chimney pitches on the thumb.

By Zac Robinson
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 12, 2013
Me in the Black Canyon.  Checking out a stopper.

I don't do any OW on On the Waterfront.

Goodro's Nightmare is a fun one and that takes up up to the 3rd pitch of the Green A. Great way to get up high in an area where you would regularly crag.

Mega points for going over and getting on Regge Pole in Bells.

I need to go play around on Razz-a-mat-azz again before winter sets in.

I feel like I have dragged big cams all over LCC but I can't think of many more right now...

By bsmoot
Nov 13, 2013
Me in the 70's

Here are some others including some off the beaten path.

Callitwhatyouplease...Good one

Flying Circus...Exposed final pitch
Degenerate Crack...perhaps the longest in the Wasatch

By Daniel S Parker
From Sandy Utah
Nov 13, 2013
Second ascent.

Went and did certain death today, it's a full value climb!!! On the waterfront is a great intro to inverts, and razzmatazz is right next to it for a warm up.
If your looking to take on all of the LCC offwidths I'd love to team up with you.

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Nov 13, 2013
The route in it's entirety.

Shadow of Death up in LPC.

Cashmere is so hard. I can't believe Spencer Weiler put down 9+ on that thing...hahah fuckin sandbagger.

By Zac Robinson
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 14, 2013
Me in the Black Canyon.  Checking out a stopper.

I totally forgot about Creep Show. That one is fun.

Beth Anne's Crack is a blast. And if you go all the way up there, you might as well tick off Mission to Moscow as well.

Bring pants.

By tenesmus
Nov 14, 2013

I didn't know anyone ever repeated Regge Pole?
I hear its the real deal.

By BobGray
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Nov 14, 2013
My Hero

#1 www.mountainproject.com/v/lowe-blow/105740987
#2 www.mountainproject.com/v/bongeater/105741173

By Brian in SLC
Nov 14, 2013
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

#2 www.mountainproject.com/v/bongeater/105741173...

I must cheat on Bongeater...

By Zac Robinson
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 15, 2013
Me in the Black Canyon.  Checking out a stopper.

tenesmus wrote:
I didn't know anyone ever repeated Regge Pole? I hear its the real deal.

I was up there a few years ago with Burr and Sam Burrell. We came back down after the crux pitches so as to avoid the top gritty choss pitch. I feel like I have head from some other that may have been on it.

By Daniel Winder
Nov 15, 2013

Robbins crack. Haven't done it. Dragging huge cams up the thumb should be fun though.

+1 Burner. This is the real deal. I hiked up there and found I couldn't do a single free move, it made a fine aid climb however.

Plasma. Recently climbed this one offwidth style. About 2 body lengths of intense thrutching. Later I was told that only fools don't layback it. This is probably true, but the pointy trees below drove me into the gape.

I recommend heading down to the creek if you're serious about practicing OW. Nobody really likes offwidths anyway though. Get on a few and it's easy to see why. But it is kinda fun going back to work after a weekend of OW looking like you've been in fight club or something.

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Nov 15, 2013

Daniel Winder wrote:

Were you up there last Sunday? Should have done the unprotected chundercling start to the right :)

edit: surprised Zac didn't mention Gravity's Rainbow P1. Short and burly (for me) and not too far past the Waterfront if you're hauling big cams in the area.

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Nov 15, 2013
The route in it's entirety.

I've always wanted to provide some community service by cleaning out that OW to the right of plumbline "Filthy Garbage". Anyone ever do that?

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Nov 15, 2013

Greg G wrote:

Short of soaking it in gasoline and burning the 6"+ diameter scrub oaks growing in there I think it's hopeless... It would occupy a rainy afternoon though!

By haleymay
From Salt Lake City
Nov 15, 2013
hand solo - selfish wall

Greg G wrote:

I have been eyeing that one up and thinking about cleaning it up myself. Let's go do it!

By tim naylor
Nov 15, 2013

bong bong firecracker, variety delight

By Alex McIntyre
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 15, 2013

There's a SICK offwidth boulder problem in LCC.

By Daniel S Parker
From Sandy Utah
Nov 16, 2013
Second ascent.

there are several offwidth boulder problems in little! theres a really cool one up behind trench warfare, toes in invert to a pivot for the finish.