Offset TCUs vs Offset Master Cams-compare+contrast

By Cultivating Mass
May 29, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
May 29, 2012
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protec...
The Dread Pirate Killis wrote:
Bought a full set of offset TCUs last week, now I'm wondering if I would have been happier with a set of the offset MCs. Anyone have experience with both and mind clueing me in on the pros+cons on each design? I know, I know, I should've been around ten years ago and bought the offset Aliens or offset Friends. In the meantime, till Fixe releases the full offset Alien set, I'm in need of some granite aid machines and could use some guidance. For perspective, I'm a ten year owner of TCUs and they live on my rack, love 'em-not a TCU newbie. Never owned a Master Cam because I haven't found a deal on them yet, no grudge against the kevlar or otherwise as of yet. Not interested in differences between the regular TCUs or Masters, only the offset models.

not sure if this is an issue, but i've placed my offset MC in pods where a TCU wouldnt fit because one side of the U-cable would interfere. Odd placements might make a difference. i also like the four lobes, but haven had much experience with the offset TCU's

By jbarnum
From Denver, CO
May 29, 2012
I agree about the outside wire. I have the offset MC and think they suck up great in the desert. The extra wire on the TCU would only get in the way with pin scars. What would the advantage of a TCU be over the MC? Is te same size rated for higher KN?

By Pete Spri
May 29, 2012
I've had 3 of the offset TCUs and 1 of the mastercam offsets.

While I'd say the smaller mastercam offsets are nice in really shallow stuff with cracks that peter out, I swear that the offset TCUs fit better in podded-out cracks.

I dont think you'll be disappointed in your offset TCUs, assuming you have 0/1, 1/2, or 2/3. Those are the BOMBER sizes.

By Cultivating Mass
May 30, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Thanks, guys. My posts are getting raided by the admins. Hope this one stays.

Yeah I wondered about the outside wire as well...guess time's gonna tell. How long has it been since WC stopped making the offset cams?

By meigsrock
From Anchorage, Alaska
May 31, 2012
I had forgoten all about those WC off set friends. Last time I saw some was a used set on e-bay 5+ years ago. Man I would love a set of those. I think they were ahead of there time making them when they did. I still have a set of forged friends, most of a set of flexy friends, and a set of DMM FCU and TCU's which are the same size as the WC cams.

I love my metolius TCU's and they were originally intended for pin scars and shallow placements because of the 3 cams instad of 4. I think you will like the offset TCU for that use.

I just picked up 00,0,1,2 master cams and can't wait to use them. Need to get a 3,4,5?,6? and when I buy off-set cams it will be a set of master cams.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
May 31, 2012
Bocan
meigsrock wrote:

I don't have the offset cans so take this as an "offset" comment(haha), but I LOVE my TCU's. I've climbed 4 out of the past 5 days and I've either used the red or orange TCU on all those days. I would imagine the offests are pretty killer diller as well.

By beccs
May 31, 2012
I've had MCs go where a TCU just wasn't sitting right because of the stem, and I've had TCUs go where a MC wouldn't because of the head width.

I wouldn't get rid of my TCUs and get Master Cams instead, but they are nice to have.