Off Widths of New Hampshire

By Mike C. Robinson
From Rumney, NH
Jul 24, 2012
d

Anyone have a list or reference to a list with OW climbs in NH?
A top 10 list would be awesome if someone wants to share their opinions...

By cjdrover
From Somerville, MA
Jul 24, 2012
Taken at MWV Icefest 2014.

Some stuff at Cathedral:

Peanut Gallery Flake, 11b
Black Crack, 10b
Diedre Piss Easy, "9++"

Cannon:
Vertigo, 9R

I'm sure there many, many more, just getting the list rolling.

By patrick donahue
From Gunnison, Colorado
Jul 24, 2012
me climbing at lost horizon, NH

there is a nice 10b at woodchuck on the playground wall and if laybacking is about 8+

By Mike C. Robinson
From Rumney, NH
Jul 24, 2012
d

Vertigo is a sweet OW, 5.6/5.7ish and the gear is actually pretty good.
Anyways the others at cathedral look sweet!
Thank you, I hope to get a big list from the post

By chris magness
Jul 24, 2012

Rumney has a couple of hard off widths (Walking the Devil, White Zombie), Farley has one, as does Cathedral:
www.mountainproject.com/v/leafspring/106569263

I don't think laying back the Bully at the Playground is 5.8. It is a 10b offwidth and laying it back doesn't feel a whole lot easier to me, especially if you're leading.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Jul 24, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

Pawtuckaway holds several shorter offwidths at the Upper Cliffs, mostly in the 5.7-10 range. Probably not as engaging as many of the longer/harder lines already listed, but maybe some good TR practice.

I haven't climbed most, but I've heard great stories about Climber's Corner, a 5.10c hands to offwidth.

By Jeremy A
From NH
Jul 24, 2012
Fido Low

Climbers Corner/Yellow Zonkers at PWay. Yellow Zonkers is unreal for a 5.8+. My question is what did you get for pro on the Half moon to make it 5.6/.7? I would like to bag that this season. The Bully felt like a hard .10 to me at Woodchuck.

By lee hansche
From goffstown, nh
Jul 24, 2012
getting to the last jug before the top out

walking the devil 5.12a and white zombie 12d are both fun and i know you are there a lot so thats a good start...

Pway has a few for sure the upper cliff ones Climbers Corner 5.10 and Zonkers 5.8+ are also joined by Far out Jam 5.9 and fun!
Some boulder problems can offer an OW fix as well Bones To Bits v3, Fleet Street v3, Shadows Everywhere v3 (wow a V3 thing going on here)

Cathedral: Crack Between Worlds 11c(?), Peanut Gallery crack 11b, the diedre variation finishes, The Beast 5.11c, Black Crack 10b (looks rad)... oh, Leafspring 5.11d...

By john strand
From southern colo
Jul 25, 2012

The Flare at bartlett haystack- just far ebough from the road that no one will hear you wimper

By nhclimber
From Newmarket, NH
Jul 25, 2012
Screaming Yellow Zonkers

Chris and lee hit most of the popular ones. John's vote I've heard great things about, but never been out to haystack. The woodchuck one is just not that hard. But, I always take 2 tries to get climbers corner, and for my body size, I find yellow zonkers at p-way impossible (yes, you can protect fine). Black crack isn't too bad. White Zombie is more of a weird chimney than OW. I also don't think .12d is right, I can most times 2 hang it and I can't even begin to climb that grade (.12a?, 11+) Of course the second pitch of recompenses crux is OW before the chimney. Second pitch of wonder wall has the most sandbagged .9 OW (think yellow zonkers, except the approach pitch is a .12)

By john strand
From southern colo
Jul 25, 2012

I'd be a bit skeptical about crack between Worlds... Kurt puked on the f/a....

By nhclimber
From Newmarket, NH
Jul 26, 2012
Screaming Yellow Zonkers

I think Tim Kemple got the second. Says something...

By nhclimber
From Newmarket, NH
Jul 26, 2012
Screaming Yellow Zonkers

I think Tim Kemple got the second. Says something...

By Jeremy A
From NH
Jul 26, 2012
Fido Low

Got the OW bug. Just climbed far out jam today...surprisingly the rain skipped PWay. What a great position. Finally climbing all the climbs I have skipped for years. China Dragon was great as well. Can not believe I have never climbed both. Woodchuck OW was def. hard at the time for me...what is it for you Jon..4/5 moves..haha. Hope to see you out there soon. Enjoy.

By Linnaeus
From New England/ Baltimore
Jul 27, 2012

Mike C. Robinson wrote:
Vertigo is a sweet OW, 5.6/5.7ish and the gear is actually pretty good. Anyways the others at cathedral look sweet! Thank you, I hope to get a big list from the post

The OW might not be so bad, other than an R rating, but the 2nd pitch after the pendulum up to the anchors is definately not 5.6/7. Its solid 9 fingers from what I recall. Also, last fall the anchors at the top of P2 were pretty poor, no hangers, and I think someone tucked a stopper in nearby to back them up.