Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
North Face Endurance Challenge Bear Mountain

By Jon D
From Carthage, NY
Jan 1, 2014
bouldering at Wichita Mountains

Anybody else doing this race in May (www.thenorthface.com/en_US/endurance-challenge/bear-mountain>>>? I just signed up and kinda wondering how to train for it over the winter. Thinking of heading to the dacks with a pair of dion 121 running snowshoes.

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jan 2, 2014
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

It's a great race, and I'm psyched for this year's race! Very technical and demanding course! Training on hills and single track will help greatly!

By Fat Paul
From Central, NJ
Jan 3, 2014
me

Signed up for the 1/2 marathon. Very demanding course with lots of rocks and difficult to pass. If you are a serious runner, you need to get in the first flight or you'll get log jammed by slower runners. This happened to me last year and cost me a lot of time. My advice to you is to get on the trail/road and log mileage over the winter.

By Jon D
From Carthage, NY
Jan 3, 2014
bouldering at Wichita Mountains

Fat Paul, I am doing my first 50 so I doubt I will be one of the front runners. I will be somewhere between the chuggers and the survivors. Or maybe following the survivors.

I've done a softly rolling trail 50k with no issues and minimal training so I'm more worried about the elevation and technical aspect.

What's the pacer situation? I know the course guide shows aid stations where pacers are allowed to wait, but how long can you have them for? Can you have more than one (like they switch off)?

Also I hate to throw out a gear question but I usually run in Inov8 roclites (4mm drop and no rock plate) Do you think a rock plate would be necessary for the course?

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jan 3, 2014
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

I've only ever run the 50k, so I can't speak to the pacer question; however, I can safely say that wearing shoes with a sturdy under-carriage is important. Think roots, rocks, and uneven ground.

By Fat Paul
From Central, NJ
Jan 4, 2014
me

Jon, congratulations on your first 50! I was going to do the 50K but backed off due to another race the following weekend. I agree with Chris' comment that you need to protect your feet with a stiff sole. Also, I do not have any info to offer on the pacer question. Good luck on your training and race day.

By Jon D
From Carthage, NY
Jan 5, 2014
bouldering at Wichita Mountains

Thanks for all the adivce guys. Another question: did you use poles or feel that they would have helped?

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jan 6, 2014
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

There isn't enough sustained climbing/running at high elevation for them to be worth it.