Noob in Joshua tree

By scvena
From Los Angeles, California
Jul 25, 2013
Hey all,

I'm getting started climbing and know just enough to be dangerous. I'll be in and around  Joshua tree Friday, Saturday, and early Sunday practicing gear placements and building anchors.  If anyone happens to be in the area and feels like offering constructive ridicule, immoral support or standing back and yelling yer gonna die everytime I do something boneheaded  it would be appreciated.  Might have a cold beer or two floating around also...

Thanks,

Scott

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jul 25, 2013
Viking helmet cover, yep.
I'm in Colorado, but I'd be happy to Skype in and berate you long-distance. ;-)

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Jul 25, 2013
In July? Um...ok. Take a lot of water, find shade (harder than you'd think in mid-summer, the sun is so high even north aspects can have you cooking at the base.) THe upside is, you'll pretty much have the place to yourself.

If it were me, I'd head for Tahquitz/Suicide or one of the San Bernardino mtns areas (Holcomb Valley, Arrowhead pinnacles, etc), get up in elevation and with trees/shade.

By Kye
From Joshua Tree, CA
Jul 25, 2013
I would suggest practicing in the evening (after 4 pm) on Hemingway. Good shade, lots of crack systems to practice with, and there might even be someone around to berate you!

Oh and hi Will! Just an FYI- Tahquitz and Suicide are closed to climbing for several weeks...as are all the trails...it sucks...$5000 fine onsight :/

-Kye :)

By rickW
From Aliso Viejo, CA
Jul 25, 2013
Fish
Going up this weekend as well...yeah may be hotter that the surface of the sun but there is always the night :-) will be at the HVC.

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Jul 25, 2013
Scott;...we are climbing on Friday in the AM and the PM.......call me up.....we can go climbing AND work on gear and anchor stuff.....(760) 366-9395....

By scvena
From Los Angeles, California
Jul 25, 2013
Kye,
Thanks for the tip on Hemingway. I'll check it out on Saturday.

Todd,
Thank you! I'll give you a call when I get into yucca. It should be around 7 or 8 pm if that's ok.

By scvena
From Los Angeles, California
Jul 25, 2013
Hey Todd, I called about 8 and left a message. If you need to get ahold of you you can call me at anytime at 562 5475457

Thanks again

Scott

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Jul 26, 2013
Scott....it's late...11:30...so I'm not gonna wake you up....but if you are up early....we are meeting at nomads climbing shop in joshua Tree at 7 AM........if that does not work out....I am climbing again in the evening too!....so call in the middle of the day....this is for friday (tomorrow)......hope one of those works out for you!....here is my cell number too (760) 835-1078
Sorry I wasn't home...I went to palm springs to listen to music and my wife took the kids to the drive in at 29 palms......hopefully talk to you soon...(If you get this tonite...you can call before midnite..if you wish.....)..