NOLS vs. SOLO for WFR course

By elg0086
Nov 12, 2012
Gmoser Route
Anyone have a recommendation on WFR courses? Is SOLO or NOLS better? Or are they both the same?

By Zach Wigham
Nov 12, 2012
My qualifications: EMT-Basic, Wilderness Medicine Upgrade for medical professionals through WMI (of NOLS), WFR through WMI. No SOLO courses taken.

I recommend the Wilderness Medicine Institute and would recommend against SOLO. I am currently an undergrad studying adventure therapy in the northeast - many of my peers have taken SOLO WFR courses due to it's location. Having led professional trips with them, worked together in class, and gone on personal trips, I'd say that overall their wilderness medical skills and experience are not as good as other peers who have taken WMI or WMA courses.

As an organization, SOLO seems to be well-natured and respectable, but judging by the WFR-certified adventure professionals they've put out to the world, I'm skeptical of their educational quality.

By Josh Kornish
From Missoula, MT
Nov 12, 2012
The Roach
You're not going to get an unbiased answer. I really doubt anyone has taken a woofer through both NOLS and SOLO.

I'll throw you another great option. Aerie Backcountry Medicine

By T.L. Kushner
Nov 12, 2012
Josh Kornish wrote:

I haven't taken the full course with both, but i have taken a full WFR course with NOLS and i've done recerts with both groups. I happen to prefer NOLS. the instructors that i've worked with were better teachers. due to their locale in the rockies they tend to deal with people in more 'extreme' guiding scenarios. don't get me wrong. SOLO is an excellent program and they will give you a fantastic experience from knowledgable instructors.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 12, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey
Remote medical if you want to really be able to manage bc emergencies

By Stephen Ackley
From Richmond, Virginia
Nov 12, 2012
I got my WFR with SOLO and was very pleased. A couple trips ago I was a first responder to a car accident on the way to the climbing and then took part in my first real evacuation/litter cary a couple days later. Felt very prepared. I'd like to get my WEMT at some point and would certainly go back to SOLO.

By Stephen Ackley
From Richmond, Virginia
Nov 12, 2012
either choice you make, its all about continued studying and practice to keep first response second nature. You never know when you'll need it, back country or otherwise.

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Nov 12, 2012
Mt. Churchill, University Range
Say good bye to the WFR because of "Standardized Health Care." WMI and WMA are not on the same page(standards) or recognized by a governing body, therefor insurance companies can not honor the WFR certification. Same goes for the OEC. This means that insurance companies that cover Guides, SAR, and Dr./Medical Directors will be unable recognize WFR's as health care professionals.

By Rick Mix
From Nederland, Colorado
Nov 13, 2012
Question is what is your reason/use for the cert.?

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 13, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey
I believe it is all up to the medical director of the governing body? Re an emt can't do anything without medical direction even though the cert is recognized but anyway... Dunno if I'd consider a wfr a healthcare professional...

Nols has an excellent program. While lacking in certain areas its not a bad thing. And I agree with earlie comment, you're only as good as your practice is

By Keith Robinson
Nov 13, 2012
Fitzroy09
I have taken full length WFR courses from SOlO, WMA and WMI NOLS and also recerts with all three. I took my EMT with a NOLS provider and did my upgrade with SOLO...

For what it is worth the materials provided; books, lecture notes etc for the courses were much more organized on the NOLS courses. I thought the professionalism, experience and instructing skills were better with NOLS and WMA instructors.

It also seems like the SOLO courses are usually cheaper, though I haven't looked at prices recently.

By Morgan Patterson
Nov 13, 2012
Stoked...
Rowdy Wrangellian wrote:

So what's different about right now? WFR is accepted by insurance companies but some random words you quoted now means it isn't? So WEMT would be the default and everyone that's a guide would need to upgrade? Isn't that better for everyone anyway?