Nine Corners Lake Bouldering area: Access Fund's Adopt-a-Crag

By Justin Sanford
From Broadalbin, New York
Oct 15, 2012
Push-5.12C at Good Luck Lake Cliffs
Come join in some fun this coming Saturday, October 20th starting at 8am at Nine Corners Lake in Caroga Lake NY. I wasn't able to organize an official bouldering competition this year like we has last fall due to some bureaucratic nonsense that I hope to resolve for next year.

Either way, The Acces Fund was kind enough to sponsor the Adopt-a-Crag event some come join us locals as we clean up the trails on the approach to the lake and the boulder field, move some fallen trees out of the way and enjoy the fall weather all day.

I have secured some sweet schwag from the Access Fund and Organic Climbing to give away as random raffle prizes to those willing to pitch in....see you there???

Did I mention the bouldering at Nine Corners boasts over 150 established problems right off of a glacial lake with some pretty stellar projects still looming?

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Oct 16, 2012
Rumney
Thanks for organizing this Justin. Hope we see more of these adopt a crag events around the park in the future. :)

By Justin Sanford
From Broadalbin, New York
Oct 16, 2012
Push-5.12C at Good Luck Lake Cliffs
Kevin- it's the least that I can do! To anyone that might be interested in checking the place out for the first time, here is a link to my climbing blog where I have a video archive page for some of the developed stuff at Nine Corners. There is also my older climbing guide available on the old Dr. Topo website.

Nine Corners Lake Bouldering Video Archive

By freezeus
From Pittsfield, VT
Oct 17, 2012
Jut - we'd love to come up but we have a comp at Petra on Saturday and Sam just got out of his brace from a tibia fracture so he's not hiking yet. Hopefully next year. Awesome spot! We'll definitely get back there.

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Nov 1, 2012
Rumney
How did it go Justin?

By Justin Sanford
From Broadalbin, New York
Nov 1, 2012
Push-5.12C at Good Luck Lake Cliffs
the event went well despite all of the rain leading up to it (which undoubtedly affected the number of participants). Overall, Nine Corners was pretty clean which was nice to see. We were able to gather a few trash bags of misc. items left behind by hikers/campers as well as clean up some of the fallen trees and branches from recent storms. Next year Id like to work with NYSDEC some more to see if we could establish some defined trails between the bouldering sets to help minimize our impacts as climbers (the rock cairns just aren't cutting it as this area is seeing much more traffic these days).

By Will Roth
From Lake Placid, NY
Nov 1, 2012
Ishinca Base Camp, Peru
Great job on getting this set up and going! An event that sets a precedent for up here. I would be interested to hear what the DEC says about establishing trails between boulders.