New trail markers at Devil's Lake

By Tab Yaj
From Minneapolis, MN
Jul 30, 2014
West Bluff trail. July,2014.
West Bluff trail. July,2014.

These markers are about 50 ft apart starting at Prospect Point Rampart, going north and south. I didn't see them in May so I'm assuming they're new. Does anyone know their purpose?

By James M Schroeder
From Sauk County, WI
Jul 30, 2014
Photo by Pete "Coach" Arndt
I have noticed those too, only I did not see the numbers. I am guessing they are to help locate lost hikers, or waypoints for some sort of race.

By Doug Hemken
Aug 1, 2014
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Chalk, paint?

By James M Schroeder
From Sauk County, WI
Aug 1, 2014
Photo by Pete "Coach" Arndt
Paint (at least the lines were). Some kind of two-coat proposition where the undercoat appears to be reflective.

By Doug Hemken
Aug 1, 2014
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
The Supt says:

This is an Eagle Scout project to mark rescue points/point of references on the West Bluff and Tumbled Rocks Trail.

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Aug 1, 2014
hi
Every 50 feet apart?!?!? kinda overkill don't ya think....Maybe just mark the top, the bottom and the middle of the hill...

By Dylan B.
Aug 1, 2014
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
Dear Eagle Scout,

Thank you for your community service. Next time we recommend a project that is (a) useful, and (b) not ugly. Keep up the good work!

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Aug 1, 2014
hi
Or maybe just the middle as one should be able to figure out where the bottom and top are.

By Doug Hemken
4 days ago
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
I asked a little more about this at the Friends of Devils Lake meeting, saturday. We are not the only ones who are underwhelmed by the aesthetics of the paint job.

I'm told it is not uncommon for the DNR or Baraboo Ambulance to get a call for assistance from someone who can only tell them "I'm on the trail" (and there are so many volunteer trails at DL, even that doesn't mean much). This is true both at the West Bluff and at the East Bluff where there are wooden signs along the trail. People sometimes see the wooden signs, but often they don't.

The original boy scout proposal was to mark the entire Park (? all the asphalted trails perhaps?). Consider what's been done to the West Bluff an experiment. Ultimately, some more accurate way for people to report their location would be a nice thing for timely assistance.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
4 days ago
tanuki
OMFG! I am no where near DL, but that is absolutely atrocious. This could have been done in a much nicer way, assuming it is really necessary of beneficial. HUGE fail on BSA leaders and land manager for letting this happen. I feel bad for the scout who is surrounded by such clueless adults.

By Craig T
From Chicago, IL
3 days ago
Perhaps some scouts could earn their wood-burning merit badges (I assume thats a real thing) and post smaller trail marking signs rather than spray-paint up the joint. I drive up to DL from Chicago to get AWAY from the graffiti...

By SteveSchultz
3 days ago
Noticed these this past weekend and I can honestly say that they did not take anything away from my wilderness experience of walking along an asphalt trail behind hikers with speakers in their backpack and Go Pros on their heads.

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
3 days ago
Egghead
Gotta agree with Steve on this one. I saw these painted markers the other day, we even commented on them ("what the hell is this?") but I can't say I was overly distracted or even annoyed by them. Now that I know what their intent was I gotta say "meh" about it all. Sounds like it was a decent idea that might have had a less-than-perfect implementation. It happens. When I'm walking along the path between the beautiful pine forest and the lake, I'm not looking at the cement path.

If anything, now we have more accurate ways of marking where to walk up into the talus for directions to the problems. ;)

By Doug Hemken
3 days ago
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Chris treggE wrote:

I prefer getting lost ... you see more that way!

Edited to say: what? you aren't using the MP app, Chris?