New Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks guidebook

By Bob Gaines
May 13, 2013

My new guidebook "Best Climbs Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks" is now at the printer, scheduled for publication on June 18. All color, with 288 routes, including 45 new routes not in the 2001 edition.

It also features color action photos by Greg Epperson and Kevin Powell. The book has a combination of color photo/diagram topos, plus some hand drawn topos.

It's available right now for a pre-publication order at amazon.com, or you can pick one up this summer at Nomad Ventures Climbing Shop in Idyllwild ($25)

By david doucette
May 13, 2013
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

that is perfect timing bob! i was just up there yesterday on the trough and hoping to head back this week for fingertip and angels fright.

just ordered it. BTW, here is the amazon link;

Best Climbs Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks

see you on the weekend of june 29th for your 2 day rescue class, looking forward to it!

David

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
May 13, 2013
Start of Pitch 3

Ordered, finally, and thank you...

By Colin Parker
From Idyllwild, CA
May 13, 2013
Bouldering in Joshua Tree

Ordered.

Thanks a ton Bob! Your Joshua Tree guide is amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

By Jason Kim
From San Diego, CA
May 14, 2013
Descending Cox Col (Bear Creek Spire). Photo by Ryan Slaybaugh. <br />

Sweet, just placed the order. Thanks Bob.

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
May 14, 2013

It looks like it is $24.95 on amazon.

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
May 14, 2013
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim

Looking forward to the updated guide. Thanks for your work, Bob!

By david doucette
May 14, 2013
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

Jace Mullen wrote:
It looks like it is $24.95 on amazon.

Wow! i just checked my link and you're right. must have somehow went up overnight. I definitely purchased it for $16 last night. In any event, i'm sure it'll be worth the $25. Just to have something in color and not have to use the old book will be awesome.

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
May 14, 2013
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

SO COOL! Thanks for all the work!

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
May 14, 2013
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. Whiteny.

I will miss the old days of climbing just about anything on the North side and wondering if you’re on route a few pitches up. Carrying the book with you, looking up, then at the book, then up again ect. Seemed to add some adventure to the whole thing. Tahq is where I really cut my trad teeth, and I have to say that I tend to be able to read wandering routes better than most people I've climbed with. I would attribute this mostly to the hand drawn topos of the old guide and the nature of the countless overlaps and crack systems on that magnificent granite tooth.

Those experiences proved to be invaluable and truly paved the way for bigger walls and greater adventures.

Thanks to Gaines, Epperson and Powell. The community appreciates all the hard work you boys are doing out there…. Even if they are not aware of it.

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
May 14, 2013
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. Whiteny.

Oh and btw to my favorite one eyed partner who climbs hard and loves to whip on my gear. You still owe me a .75 for that winger you took on the Vampire! U know who u are!!!

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
May 14, 2013

david doucette wrote:

Oh, I don't doubt that and I am excited for the new guidebook. I just wanted to make sure Mr. Gaines knew in case it was something that he wanted to fix or whatever.

By RJNakata
From SoCal
May 14, 2013

Bob Gaines wrote:
It's available right now for a pre-publication discount ($16) at amazon.com

Bob, is the $16 price still available?

By Bob Gaines
May 14, 2013

By Bob Gaines
May 16, 2013

Best Climbs Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks is available today (May 16) on amazon.com for a pre-publication discount of $15.45

not sure how long that deal will last.....their prices fluctuate

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
May 16, 2013
OTL

Sweet, my pre-order price dropped from $16.xx to $15.45 automatically. Hope it doesn't go the other way too.

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
May 17, 2013
me (about to sneeze)

Awesome! Just ordered mine

By RJNakata
From SoCal
May 17, 2013

Bob Gaines wrote:
Looks like the $16 deal is over, they had it at that price for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have any control over their pricing, nor does the publisher. Those amazon prices fluctuate all the time, my Best Climbs Joshua Tree Book is going for $11.87 today, which is the lowest I've ever seen it!

Preordered mine along with your JTree book too. $28 total.

By Bob Gaines
May 22, 2013

Pre-publication discount still available at amazon.com, today for $15.75

By Dave Kos
May 22, 2013

If you pre-order on Amazon and the price drops before shipping, Amazon will automatically give you the lowest price when it ships.

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date.

By david doucette
May 30, 2013
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

Just saw the REAL BOOK in nomads yesterday in jtree. they said it just came out yesterday. I would have bought it but i pre-ordered on amazon so i was thinking it should be arriving any day now.

just checked and amazon still says shipping on june 18th. Ugh. I should have bought it yesterday, it would have been worth it to pay full price to have it in my hands NOW.

By Colin Parker
From Idyllwild, CA
Jun 10, 2013
Bouldering in Joshua Tree

Shipped today from Amazon. w00t!