New Speed Record on The Naked Edge

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Jan 28, 2013
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.

44 minutes bridge to bridge!!!!

Watched the boys run by on their way up the hill, then we went over to the base of the Bastille to watch the show. Freaking awesome to watch!! They soloed to the base of P1 in about 5 minutes then led the whole Edge in two mega pitches. They never met up on the route, so whatever rack they had was used for the entire climb. The rack I saw as they ran by didn't seem very big.
Kudos to the young talent these days!

By scott e. tarrant
From Fort Collins
Jan 28, 2013
kate!

WOW! scott and brad...that is so cool! great work!!! i'm completely inspired...thanks for that!

sincerely,

scott e. tarrant

By gunter
Jan 28, 2013

Bravo!

By K Weber
Jan 28, 2013

Wouldn't a soloist have the speed record?

Who is it?

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Jan 28, 2013

Not a soloist K Weber. Presumably Scott Bennett and Brad Gobright (as stated above)... but I don't know that for sure. Good on ya boys, thoroughly impressive

By Dave Bohn aka "Old Fart"
Jan 29, 2013
Vintage anorexic sport climber shot

Record ?? The Edge is releasing new stuff on vinyl ?? 44 min. bridge to bridge would be an epic album !!

By ShireSmitty
From Boulda
Jan 29, 2013

I witnessed this from the top of the Bastille, very impressive. As our party of three watched I asked "I wonder if they're going for the speed record?" the whoops and hoots at the bridge and from the finish of the edge were answer enough. Very cool to see this done, and in January no less! And I think Scott was then part of a party that free soloed the Bastille in a mellow 7 minutes or so.

By Scott Bennett
Apr 23, 2014
photo by Forest Woodward

Update:

Mega!!!

By jTaylor
Apr 23, 2014

good vid and writeup here: billwright510climbing.blogspot.com/2014/04/breaking-bad-chas>>>

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
Apr 23, 2014
Artist Tears P3

Amazing effort! Thanks for sharing.

By Alton R.
From Boulder, Co
Apr 23, 2014
Center Direct, V10. Bishop, Ca.

Scott Bennett wrote:
Update: Stefan Griebel and Jason Wells retook the record yesterday with an INSANE time of 35 minutes and 1 second, bridge-to-bridge. Mega!!!

Holy jiminy crickets!!!!

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Apr 23, 2014
Bocan

I could only hope to have my systems dialed 1/100th of that ability.

By Steve Sangdahl
From eldo sprngs,co
Apr 24, 2014

Jason, Way to make the rest of us look slow and weak. Takes me that long to rack up and put my shoes on at the base of the thing. Nicely done! Steve Sangdahl

By Jeremy
From Boulder, CO
Apr 30, 2014
Super Slide

Strong work guys!
The holds look so big in the video. I wish they felt that big.

By MacM
From Cave Creek/Preskitt, AZ
Apr 30, 2014
3rd Day in JTree

I just need to say. So. Sick.

I noticed that A LOT of gear was "fixed." I haven't ever climbed the route or even in the area for that matter, but I thought this route was really popular, no? In AZ all that gear would be cleaned out within a week!

-Mac

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Apr 30, 2014
Mt. Agassiz

Jeez that's a lot of fixed gear...

By Scott Bennett
May 1, 2014
photo by Forest Woodward

Yeah, lots of fixed stuff at the moment. 3 fixed cams, 2 wires, a handful of pins, and one slung block. Not all of it's good, but it does certainly help in doing the route quickly.

To be clear, though, Stefan and Jason didn't place any of that fixed gear. They just climbed the route in it's current condition.

Some gear comes and goes, and some seems more or less permanent. The yellow TCU on the last pitch will definitely come out when someone makes an effort, but the other two cams are pretty welded.

-Scott

By Stefan Griebel
Jun 9, 2014
Stefan heading up the Casual Route in a bike helmet during his first Longs Peak Triathlon.  Biking/hiking/climbing Longs Peak from Boulder

Holy smokes, Scott and Brad absolutely crushed the record again tonight: 29m53s bridge-to-bridge!!! It officially goes faster than the 1st Flatiron.

Sub-30 is hard to wrap your head around, and I'd have a hard time believing it if I hadn't watched the whole thing with my own eyes. Scott started up the first pitch at 6m30s. Just under 16 minutes later, they were both on top and scrambling like caffeinated mountain goats to get down.

Freaking AWESOME guys!

By Mark Pell
Jun 19, 2014

Mike Grimm and I went up to do the Edge onsight in Summer 1992 and two young guys were already at the base of P1 getting ready to start and asked if we minded if they went ahead and climbed in front of us, adding "We'll hurry." We knew we'd probably take hours so we said sure, go ahead. They had a very light selected rack and a very long rope and the first guy ran it to the P2 belay in a few minutes then the second started moving up P1, also very fast. When he reached the P1 belay the leader started moving again and they simoed to the top of P3, reracked and traded the lead. Mike and me started up then, amazed. Plus, we knew everyone in the canyon was watching the Edge by now so we wanted to do a solid job. We flashed up P1 in pretty good time, and I remember looking up from the belay and seeing the second of the party ahead already disappearing from view above the last crux. A few minutes later a big wind blew up in advance of a thunderstorm and Mike and I got weathered off and took cover in the little cave but left our rope hanging just in case. The guys in front of us were already hooting and hollering on top. We didn't check the watch but I'd be surprised if they took more than 20-25 minutes to climb the entire route and they were laughing the whole way. I imagine the rain made it tough to break a bridge-to-bridge record but I never saw any team climb it faster. Anybody know how long it took Jimmy Collins free-solo?

By Caden S
Jun 20, 2014

Wow! That's insane. Nice work.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Jun 20, 2014

K Weber wrote:
Wouldn't a soloist have the speed record? Who is it?

Generally no, on harder climbs. On easier climbs, yes, but when the going gets thin and a mistake = death, you can move much faster simul than you can unroped...

By ShireSmitty
From Boulda
Jun 20, 2014

Ran into brad at Movement about 2 weeks ago and asked him if they were gonna give another effort at the record... guess i have my answer now! Blazin!