New: MP on your iPhone

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Aug 4, 2008
Personal Photo

Decided to geek out while looking for a new route in Eldorado Canyon, got out my iPhone, and found photos and the description that got me right to base. That was cool & useful, but the full site is slow and hard to deal with on the phone. So here's the solution:

i.mountainproject.com

Try it out & let me know what you think & what functionality should be added.

It should work on any web-enabled phone (Blackberry, etc), but I only tested it on an iPhone.

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Aug 4, 2008
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

That's very cool! I haven't fully explored it, but it looks like a great addition to my iPhone.

JL

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Aug 5, 2008
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.

Nice! Although I do miss the search field. Soon enough climbers can complete a pitch and give instant beta and condition reports. :-)
Posted from my iPod touch.

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Aug 5, 2008
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

One interesting thing (though not surprising): if the text describing a climbing area has a link to a route, that link will take you to the regular site rather than the iPhone version. The route links at the top of the page give you the iPhone version.

I like this as it is with just the routes database functionality. I don't think it needs the extra baggage of message forums.

JL

By Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Aug 5, 2008
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wall.

Nick Wilder wrote:

This is another sign of the End of Civilization...the END..I..tell..you!

Can't wait to try it.

By Michael Komarnitsky
Founding Father
From Seattle, WA
Aug 5, 2008
Myke Komarnitsky

Very cool! I remember building a similar thing on the old cb.com in about 2001, and testing it on my phone at the time, which could display about 5 rows of text and about 15 characters per row. I really thought it was cool, but I doubt more than 2-3 people used it in 3 years. This, on the other hand, with a 3G iphone, has the potential to change the situation.

It's pretty neat to see the hardware and communications technology mature over several years so that it can effectively execute on the idea.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Aug 10, 2008

Complaint:

I don't have an iPhone. Every time I go to the Mountain Project homepage with my Mac (OS X 10.4.11) my browser (Firefox) tells me "It looks like like you are on an iPhone; would you like to use the iPhone version of Mountain Project?" It's kind of annoying.

Thanks in advance for looking into it. If the problem persists next time I'm on MP.com I'll check back to this thread and hopefully there will be some sort of a fix for me.

Thanks again.

--Marc

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
Aug 10, 2008
Artist Tears P3

Marc,

I use firefox as well and don't seem to be getting prompted, but I;m using a newer OS.

OS 10.5.4

John

By JPVallone
Aug 10, 2008

Firefox is more user friendly than safari for almost everything.

by the way, whats an iphone?

can I clip a carabiner to it and put it on my rack while climbing?

Are they good for belaying, seems I have a hard time giving good belays while on the phone.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Aug 10, 2008

The problem seems to have been solved. Thanks!

--Marc

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
Aug 10, 2008
South of Windy Peak

I can see it now...

"I got off route because I lost my cell phone reception..."