New map for Red Rock Canyon

By Gary C Thomann
Feb 4, 2014
I have made a map for Red Rocks which includes a GPS grid on it. I have also attempted to label all the climbing walls. You can download it at

thomannengineering.com/arietta...

Please feel free to use it. It is pretty detailed and will look best if printed on 13x19 paper. Read the qualifiers on the web site before you download the map. I appreciate any comments and if you have GPS readings for any of the walls please send them to me and I will update the map. I will be in Red Rocks at the end of February and will work some more on the map when I return from that trip.

By Jon H
From Boulder
Feb 4, 2014
At the matching crux
This is fantastic. Flying out to RR tonight actually and will put it to good use!

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Feb 4, 2014
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim
very nice! Thanks for creating and sharing it.

By Weston L
From Summerlin, NV
Feb 4, 2014
Me at the good rest on Doggie Do
Cool addition! Thanks for posting

By Chris Wenker
From Santa Fe
Feb 4, 2014
Bandera
Isn't that final right turn off the Black Velvet road gated off for use only as a trail? Meaning, you're not able to drive it through from 160 to Bonnie Springs?

By John Wilder

Skiing around.
linked to Nevada sticky!

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Feb 4, 2014
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim
For a future rev one thing that would be useful is showing some of the more convoluted descent routes (e.g. Mt Wilson, Cactus Flower, Mescalito summit descents). thanks

By Larry
From SoAZ
Feb 4, 2014
This map has opened my eyes to the possibility of driving into Black Velvet from the north (from Bonnie Springs).

Is there something the map is not showing? Maybe a locked gate? Is this possible (easy) in a regular car?

It looks like there's just one wash crossing, as opposed to at least three washes when coming from the south.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 4, 2014
You cannot access Black Velvet with a car from the north- that access is closed off via a locked gate.

By Gary C Thomann
Feb 7, 2014

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 7, 2014
Gary C Thomann wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I need to put that gate in on the Black Velvet road, somebody please tell me just where it is. If you were to start from the north end at Bonnie Springs, how far south do you go before you hit the gate. I see you go past a building at about half a kilometer and then about another half a kilometer you cross a wash. I would like to put in the descent routes, but somebody will need to send me a gps track. I will not be doing any of the descents mentioned when I am there in March.

the gate is at the intersection of the road coming in from the 160 and the road that leads directly into black velvet. when you drive the dirt road, you're forced to turn left to black velvet because of it.

By Gary C Thomann
Feb 8, 2014
Thanks for help. The new map on the website now has the gate.

By AST
Feb 8, 2014
I might be missing it, but I think you left off Challenger/Jet Stream wall in Pine Creek?

By Gary C Thomann
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, you are right, I did not have the Jet Stream Wall in. I added it best as I could based on the contours and the approach descriptions through Pine Creek Canyon and the Olive Oil gully. As always, if anybody has a gps coordinate of this wall (or any wall) please send to me. Over a couple of years we could make this a good map. Although it is on the map I will repeat my address here

gthomann@nycap.rr.com

And yes the ny is New York, ethnically I am an Adirondack climber/developer.

By Royal
From Henderson, NV
Jul 4, 2014
Free Willy (Salt Point)
Thanks so much for the map Gary! I really like it. How'd you make it anyway? Do you have some sort of map software? It doesn't look easy.

To anyone else local to the vegas valley that want a print copy of this map I finally got around to going to a print shop and got some copies. They screwed up and gave me a few extra copies which I'd be happy to pass on at cost. $3 a piece or whatever you can afford. If anyone is curious I went to Franklin Doc Services - they were far more reasonable than Kinkos who wanted to rip me off.