New Ice Climbing Area In Provo Canyon

By 5555
Dec 24, 2013
So I was climbing in Provo Canyon the other day and looked up at what I believe is Provo Falls and there's a bunch of ice formed that I've never seen. Holy shit! It's amazing. I hiked up and there's some bolted lines that look like M7/M8. I think three. There's probably potential for 20 more lines. A lot of them could probably go sans bolts. See photos below. It looked like someone led the far right dagger. There were some screw placements in the ice to the side. It wasn't touching down.

The falls itself has a crack about midway up. Yikes! But TONS more potential! WAY better than the Bagdad Cave. There are numerous cracks that could be drytooled. I'm wondering if the three bolted routes I saw are rock climbs. Regardless the rest of the crag is undeveloped. In plain view of the road. DOH!!! Just goes to show there are still loads of hidden gems to be had in the Wasatch.

--- Invalid image id: 108529899 ---

--- Invalid image id: 108529900 ---

By matt tuttle
Dec 26, 2013
Looks like some locals put a lot of time and dough into that. Definitely not a hidden gem as it's visible from the highway. A lot of work to be done by some motivated individuals. With the rain a week ago some of the projects back melted and need some time to heal for a safe and much deserved ascent. Post up boys when the work is done so we may all come out and play. 🍻👍

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Dec 27, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
The area is farmed. It has taken a lot of work to build the area and the climbs should go to the guys that have put in the work first... I have talked with them and they are super stoked on the area and want others to climb there with respect for the effort, money and time they have put in to building the area. They have some projects up there that they want to send but also they told me there is a lot of open game. There is potential for some really amazing lines. I hope people respect the hard work and get ahold of the farmers before they start dropping in lines of their own.
Dallen

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Dec 27, 2013
Shit just got awkward in here

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Dec 27, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Maddog,
I ran into one of the developers in the parking lot. He was really open to others climbing there and wanted others too. He just ask that I not tag the lines he wanted to do before he got to them.
Dallen

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Dec 28, 2013
I see where you're going with this, zoso.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-...

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Dec 28, 2013
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gates <br />(i.e. 10 pitches to the tram station)
bsmoot wrote:
Previous ice farming has been ten times more visible than this area. Nothing ever happened.

Brian, the other farming which you, I, and others enjoyed some five plus years ago in Provo Canyon was on private property. So different rules are in play. Most people would not think twice about about an ice formation other than to say ooh that's pretty but a few other might. Which I believe is MD point.

That said regardless of private or public land there are rules:

waterrights.utah.gov/strmalt

And it gets messy very quickly.

The above is not to condone or condemn but to educate as most are ignorant.