New Features: Icons For Forum Replies and Comments/Compliments

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Jan 26, 2014
Personal Photo

Two new icons now show up on the top right of every page:

new Icons
new Icons

The first (left) icon lets you know when people have replied to forum topics that you are following or have replied to. A red number indicates how many topics have NEW replies that you have not seen. Clicking the icon will open a list of topics with recent replies. When you view that topic, the NEW indicator goes away for that topic (but it is still on the list). Because this is a new feature, the NEW indicators are not correct when you first use this feature, but will fix themselves as you use it.
Forum Icon
Forum Icon

The second (right) icon lets you know when people have commented on something you added to Mountain Project, such as a photo, route, or area. It also tells you when people rate your photo with 4 or 5 stars, or when a route or area page you created gets a “thumbs up”. There is a red number to indicate any new comments or compliments. When you view the list (by clicking the icon), the red number is reset to zero and will disappear (until you get a new comment or compliment). Again, because it’s a new feature, the NEW indicator may not be correct the first time you use it.
Comment and Compliment Icon
Comment and Compliment Icon

As always, comments welcome!

By tanner jones
Jan 26, 2014

did facebook buy mountain project? and does that explain why the iphone app is so buggy now?

By Ralph Kolva
From Evergreen, CO
Jan 27, 2014

tanner jones wrote:

Can't find the 'Like' for this comment

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jan 27, 2014
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.

Very nice upgrades, Nick. Clean, easy to use and personal. Well done.

By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 27, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

could be my server and computer, but the right side 'compliments and commets' just comes up as an empty white box even though the number 10 is shown. nothing processing,,BUT again if you are now linking us up with Facebook features or whatever, that's probably why it won't work on my computer, cuz FAcebook front page freezed my computer, then I crash and can't access anything on Facebook, thus I am not a facebook user and don't EVER click any link from my other sites, back to a facebook connection Not for me due to the lockdown of my computer and poor internet service.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Jan 27, 2014
Personal Photo

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

The new feature has nothing to do with actual Facebook, it just looks similar. Your account exposed a bug - I fixed it and it should work for you.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Jan 27, 2014
Personal Photo

John Marsella wrote:
Is this new-since-last-login or does it reset upon checking the alerts? The latter would be much nicer since some of us use the stay logged in option on our home machines. If that's how it's set up, awesome!

It resets whenever you look at them and is unrelated to you logging in and out or using multiple machines.

By tanner jones
Jan 28, 2014

sorry if i came off like a jerk in my first reply. it is a nice feature and thank you for your hard work and effort.

i sincerely am interested in the merger with facebook, though. when i scroll to the bottom of the site the new banner for mountain project looks suspiciously like facebook is investing or owning... and i'm not sure which.

anyone have any info on this?

By Mark Cushman
From Cumming, GA
Jan 28, 2014
Profiley Styley

Great new feature, works perfectly! Thanks!

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Jan 28, 2014
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

I really like it. Nice addition!

By M Sprague
From New England
Jan 28, 2014

How can we buy shares of MP before it is bought up by Facebook? :) Maybe you could make MP a B corporation, Nick.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Jan 28, 2014
Personal Photo

I can assure you that we are not being bought by Facebook... if anyone there even knows we exist! The thing on the bottom of the page is just a link to our FB page.

By Klimbien
Feb 7, 2014
Zion - GWT Great White Throne crag

Well MP, the new site is a touch cleaner - congrats. I've got to admit though, I really miss being able to come to the home page and click on the slide show and scroll through what seemed like 20 -30 photos, now there is only a few and then when I come back there are a few repeated and a few different. That Slideshow saved my climbing career the two years that I was in grad school and could only dream of climbing, I looked at it religiously….would love more photos in the slideshow

Best Regards

By pjheinz83
From Southeast Pennsylvania
Mar 13, 2014

Is there a way to remove threads from our follow list? I've unchecked the box but they still remain and I keep getting updates. Thank you!