New feature: Sorting Routes

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
Left to Right!
Right to Left!
Alphabetical for you old-schoolers!

Routes in Mountain Project can finally be sorted. Route and Area owners/admins can now sort routes at an area. Once sorted, you have the option to view them L to R, R to L, or alphabetically (as in the past). We store your preference.

This is a nice feature for the web site, and a HUGE feature for the mobile app we're working on. Now as I have my phone at the base of the crag, the route lists line up with reality in front of me - cool!

We have collected 70,000 routes over the last 10 years. I spent a few hours and sorted most of Boulder Canyon and Eldorado Canyon, which amounts to 2,100 routes. So at this point, the vast majority are NOT sorted. It will take time for the admins and owners to sort them.

In the mean time, here are some examples:
Cob Rock, Boulder Canyon
West Face of the Bastille, Eldo
Rincon, Eldo

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Jun 7, 2011
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress
Somebody in Boulder owes Nick a beer for sorting 2100 routes :)

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Jun 7, 2011
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.
Holy crap Nick! That's super awesome, nice work!

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
Brilliant! Thanks!

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
I don't see a way for me to do anything on the Thailand page. Will I have this access or is it just you guys that have to do all the work?

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Jun 7, 2011
Go to an area containing routes. Hover over the edit link -> sort routes.

By M Sprague
From New England
Andy Laakmann wrote:
Go to an area containing routes. Hover over the edit link -> sort routes.

It seems you have to be an Admin or Submittor for that edit link to come up. For instance, I could do Green's and Owl's Cliffs, but I couldn't do any Rumney areas, only routes that I have submitted.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
M Sprague wrote:

That's correct:
Owners of a route can sort just that route.
Owners of an area can sort all routes in the area.
Admins can sort everything that they're an admin of.

By Mike Howard
RGG silhouette
"Thanks" for a great improvement...
Not iPad friendly for the drag drop thingy at present.

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Jun 7, 2011
Starting the second section of Live to climb another day
Very nice!!!

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
South of Windy Peak
Great work. Sorting routes is fun.
Illusion Crags

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Jun 7, 2011
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.
Very slick. The sorting interface is a breeze and nicely done. I had it easy for The Overlook's South/East side since the New Mexico pages have historically been done with a numerical preface on each route. With this sorting, this won't be necessary anymore. Well done guys.

By Cory
From Boise, ID
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills
Friggin Brilliant! Took me all of two minutes to sort my areas (not that there are very many...)

By Tradoholic
Jun 7, 2011
Ugggg...I have so much to sort. I guess I asked for it ;)

Great upgrade!

By Richard Radcliffe
From Louisville, CO
Excellent!

By kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Well done fellas!

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
Bobby Hanson wrote:
Well done fellas! Request: Can you make the sorting available to all users, at least in the short term? It will make the sorting of all of the established areas much quicker. I am happy to sort some of the areas near me (LCC and BCC), but I don't have access to most of them.

Make a request, and I'll grant you short-term access. Unfortunately, we've had a handful of instances of MP users blowing up (usually from a forum "discussion") and not playing nice in the sandbox, so we can't just make it universal.

Bobby, giving you access. You can go to any area with routes, find the red "edit area" link the title, hover over it, and choose "Sort Routes".

Thanks for your help!

By kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks, Nick. One more request: could you please make AREAS sortable also? The areas in both Big Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood Canyons are quite naturally sorted, and it would be nice to reflect that in the database.

By Bill Olszewski
From Colorado Springs, CO
Rrrrrrrrrrrr
Nick, Andy, you guys rock! This is the best improvement I've seen and I am currently working at sorting the routes on areas I've posted. If you guys come down this way climbing, I'll definately buy you a couple beers!

By M.Morley
From Sacramento, CA
8-21-09
Nice work, Nick.

By jcurl
Thank you, Nick.

By Rich Farnham
Jun 8, 2011
Really cool feature! Nice work, and thanks for all the time you put into creating it and sorting all those routes!

By Julius Beres
From Boulder, CO
Jun 23, 2011
Rewritten

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Jun 23, 2011
Personal Photo
Julius Beres wrote:
So, now that this feature exists and areas are getting sorted, could you please add an option to print out routes left to right when printing a guide to an area? Print a Mini Guide option still only does alphabetical, unless I am missing something.

Great idea - and done!

By Julius Beres
From Boulder, CO
Jun 23, 2011
Rewritten
Nick Wilder wrote:
Great idea - and done!

Awesome!

By Derek W
Aug 5, 2011
First summit of First Flatiron
Julius Beres wrote:

Nick Wilder wrote:
Great idea - and done!

I can't find this feature when trying to print a mini guide for Vedauwoo... Am I missing something??

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>