New England backcountry bouldering?

By Daniel Kuzio
From Plainfield, VT
May 31, 2014

I'm looking to take a few day trip, something like hike out to some bouldering for a day, camp and boulder the next day or two then hike out the next.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to explore around New England?

By Joe M.
May 31, 2014

Sounds like King's Ravine or Huntington's Ravine or the Glen Boulder might be what you are looking for. There are some guys on www.newenglandbouldering.com who can give you the info that you are looking for.

By john strand
From southern colo
Jun 3, 2014

There are a lot of giant boulders under Green's Cliff, mostly untapped.Also up by Stairs mountain and as Joe said..Kings ravine

By M Sprague
From New England
Jun 3, 2014

How out there do you want to be? How long are you willing to hike? Also, when were you thinking? Greens has some, mostly undeveloped. Owls Cliff has more of a compact area of boulders, some pretty huge. They are a little more developed, mostly by Dave Quin and crew, but little has been documented. Some of it is pretty good, but the rock (granite) tends to be pretty grainy and rough on the fingers. Both areas are about and an hr and a half+ to hike in if carrying pads and camping gear. I would run in and check them out before hauling all your stuff out. They are both magical areas if you are into that sort of thing and hit them at the right time, but you will be doing more exploring and cleaning than climbing. If interested, pm me and I can give you more information. Some area info is here on MP.

By Mike Collins
Jun 3, 2014
first ever highball boulder problem. v0 in the buttermilks

I have not personally been, but it seems like great barrington (reservoir rocks on wmcc webpage) has a lot of bouldering. I have heard that it's pretty hard and it is also not so easy to find but there are hundreds of problems

By Dylan Randall
From Paul Smiths, NY
Jun 3, 2014
Ian's Favorite Problem

If you're looking for a quieter, peaceful and carefree trip, Second Pond in the ADK's houses a massive untapped collection of beautiful boulders. Approach requires you to canoe out on the pond and downstream until you reach a waterfront lean to. Camp here and explore the woods to find the backcountry bouldering you desire!

By KatieFarris
Jun 3, 2014
coming back from Little Finger (5.5) Lake George, NY

peaceful minus the black flies... watch out! they're bitin'

By Dylan Randall
From Paul Smiths, NY
Jun 4, 2014
Ian's Favorite Problem

By john strand
From southern colo
Jun 4, 2014

Too true..you may die out at Green's this time of year.

Huntington Ravine also has a ton of boulders...and Evans notch area in NH

By Justin Sanford
From Broadalbin, New York
Jun 4, 2014
Push-5.12C at Good Luck Lake Cliffs

Here are some links to some Second Pond Bouldering:

southernadirondackclimber.blogspot.com/2012/05/second-pond-b>>>

www.climberism.com/video-second-pond-bouldering/

southernadirondackclimber.blogspot.com/2013/09/second-pond-d>>>

By Joe M.
Jun 6, 2014

The late Ben Hebb bouldering in King's Ravine on Mt. Adams in New Hampshire.
The late Ben Hebb bouldering in King's Ravine on Mt. Adams in New Hampshire.

Here is a photo of the late Ben Hebb bouldering in King's Ravine on Mt. Adams in New Hampshire. I'm working on putting up on www.newenglandbouldering.com an old slide show that Greg Shyloski had done on the alpine bouldering up there.