Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
New climbing gym in Denver
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 3 of 4.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Jan 7, 2012
thegoodlifedenver.com
Denver is extremely ripe for a rock climbing gym in or near downtown. In the article I wrote on my site, The Good Life Denver (see:Good Idea: A Premier Rock Climbing Gym In/Near Downtown Denver), I bring up the example of St. Louis, which already has one solid climbing gym downtown for a climbing community that is probably no more than 20% the size of Denver's, and is building a second (Climb so Ill). If downtown St. Louis can support two, there is absolutely no reason why Denver shouldn't have AT LEAST one.

As I mentioned in the article, Movement is actively working on bringing a gym to downtown Denver and understands the ripeness of this opportunity.

I'd be happy to help provide input to anyone who wants to bring a gym to downtown Denver.

Mark, where'd you go to high school?

David
The Good Life Denver
Joined Nov 11, 2009
7 points
Jan 7, 2012
Mt. Baker
Ah...the classic stl question. I went to Chaminade. Did you ever climb at the Good Life? I spent a bit of time there before it closed. I wonder what Jim Thurmond is up to these days? Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
250 points
Jan 7, 2012
thegoodlifedenver.com
Nice, I went to Burroughs. I never did go to Good Life--only Upper Limits... The Good Life Denver
Joined Nov 11, 2009
7 points
Jan 14, 2012
I would like to see a nice gym on the Southwest side but not Movement! They charge me to belay my kids and the times I have gone there the customer service is surly at best. M Lindfors
From Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 17, 2006
59 points
Jan 15, 2012
M Lindfors wrote:
I would like to see a nice gym on the Southwest side but not Movement! They charge me to belay my kids and the times I have gone there the customer service is surly at best.


That's nuts about being charged to belay your kids. I'm sorry to hear that you found their service poor. I've always found them to be quite nice and accommodating.
Jon Lachelt
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Feb 2, 2007
15 points
Sep 23, 2012
I live at 33rd and Blake st right downtown. I back up to Coors Field Parking lot and a few buildings in my area would be perfect for a gym downtown. The parking, light rail access and the height of the building would not be an issue. Plus all the local people looking for a gym to work out in besides climbing would make it a hit.
So many new rental and condo buildings going up, the amount of people living downtown is going up, and the gym would do well! Wish I had the money to start it.
James D
Joined Jun 5, 2009
10 points
Administrator
Sep 24, 2012
Andrew Gram
+1 for a downtown area gym accessible by light rail. When I lived in Baker, I never once went to RJ1 because of the traffic. I would reluctantly go to RJ2 since I worked in the tech center, but I hated having to drive those days instead of taking the light rail as usual. Anything near a light rail line would do really well I think.

Thrillseekers may still be there, but that is a terrible, terrible gym. It is incredible that it is still in business if it is.

The bowling tangent upthread was great. As much as I would have loved a gym in that old Big Lots on 1st and Broadway since my house was just two blocks from there, that neighborhood is more for hipsters going out drinking. A bowling alley designed as a fifties throwback to be seen at ironically couldn't possibly be more appropriate for that neighborhood.
Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Jan 1, 2001
3,581 points
Oct 19, 2012
Any news on this? I'm blown away at the amount of money myself and MANY people I know would pay to have a high quality rock gym in Denver. Robbie Flick
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 26, 2010
50 points
Oct 19, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
five points please. or Baker. Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Oct 19, 2012
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.
The only news I know of is that the Denver Bouldering Club is expanding their gym which is to open this weekend or very soon: facebook.com/pages/Denver-Boul... Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Joined Nov 7, 2005
1,949 points
Nov 16, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Retrofit the (soon to be) old wonder bread factory!!!


Wonder Bread Climbing Gym
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Nov 19, 2012
Gotta put in a suggestion for a gym near the Anschutz Medical Campus near I-225 and Colfax. The campus will eventually have 45,000 people, the Light Rail will be coming through in a couple years and there's no gym options within at least 25 minutes. Zach Wilson
From Aurora, CO
Joined Jun 11, 2007
0 points
Nov 20, 2012
thegoodlifedenver.com
While we are still sorely in need of a premier, full-service (not just bouldering) gym in Denver, I definitely give props to the Denver Bouldering Club for its efforts to remodel its interior and open up the gym 7 days a week to both members and non-members: mountainproject.com/v/the-denv...

I just emailed Anne Worley with Movement in Boulder to check in on their potential plans to bring a gym to Denver (and will let you know what she says, with her permission). It really seems like the issue with bringing a gym to Denver hasn't been a lack of funding or a lack of interest, but rather a lack of suitable spaces. If funding were an issue, though, after reading this article theatlanticcities.com/neighbor... I'd be intrigued about using a crowdfunding model to bridge the gap and would love to be an investor.
The Good Life Denver
Joined Nov 11, 2009
7 points
Nov 20, 2012
+1 on having a gym near the Anschutz campus, especially considering the new wellness center here does not have ANY climbing facilities. I'm a student here and there are tons of kids going all the way up to boulder 1-2x a week for some decent climbing. There would be a ton of interest - plus I'd imagine real estate is cheaper out here! Robbie Flick
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 26, 2010
50 points
Nov 20, 2012
Bunny pancake
Robbie Flick wrote:
+1 on having a gym near the Anschutz campus, especially considering the new wellness center here does not have ANY climbing facilities. I'm a student here and there are tons of kids going all the way up to boulder 1-2x a week for some decent climbing. There would be a ton of interest - plus I'd imagine real estate is cheaper out here!


Well if you put one there, there would still need to be one accessible for downtown. That place is no where close to downtown and would not relieve any RJ1 crowds.

Right across from Coors Field is a huge brick building with massive double doors and a great parking lot. That would be an awesome place to have a gym. It is emptly nad has been for awhile.

During hte summer, you coudl draga portable wall out side and capture all the kids going to and from Rockies games. You could have a huge boulder placed outside as well for comps.

Great location.
Mike McKinnon
From Golden, CO
Joined Aug 27, 2003
122 points
Nov 20, 2012
thegoodlifedenver.com
Mike,

On which side are you referring? Do you know the address?

Thanks,

David
The Good Life Denver
Joined Nov 11, 2009
7 points
Nov 20, 2012
+ 0 for the Anchutz gym. Who wants to go to Aurora for anything. I grew up there and speak from experience. Something close to downtown is necessary. Be nice if it wasn't right in downtown due to traffic and parking issues. I think something along Hwy 6 just West of Denver would be great. ROC
From Englewood, CO
Joined Feb 19, 2003
267 points
Nov 20, 2012
Mike McKinnon wrote:
Well if you put one there, there would still need to be one accessible for downtown.


Not suggesting a gym near Anschutz would obviate the need for one downtown. My point is that with guaranteed explosive development, anticipated light rail connectivity, cheaper land, and presumably lower taxes, it'd be a safe bet.
Robbie Flick
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 26, 2010
50 points
Nov 20, 2012
Ouray Ice Park
Speaking about the crowd funding. I think Kickstarter would be a pretty good idea. Certain levels of donation get you different benefits once the gym opens?! We need a "premier" gym a la Movement or City Rock in Fort Collins as well.

bv
whiteknuckled.com
BryanV
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Nov 14, 2008
30 points
Nov 26, 2012
thegoodlifedenver.com
From Movement:

"Yes! I am happy to report we are in full swing. We are engaged with a realtor looking at several different potential locations and are in conversations with investors.

So send us good vibes that all goes well!"

Sending good vibes...

I checked out Climb So Ill in St. Louis this past weekend, which only reinforced my belief that if St. Louis can have 2 good full-service gyms in/near downtown, Denver has no excuse not to at least have one!

David
The Good Life Denver
Joined Nov 11, 2009
7 points
Nov 26, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Robbie Flick wrote:
Not suggesting a gym near Anschutz would obviate the need for one downtown. My point is that with guaranteed explosive development, anticipated light rail connectivity, cheaper land, and presumably lower taxes, it'd be a safe bet.


Many of the students and employees I know at the Anschutz campus live closer to downtown than Aurora (Park Hill, Stapleton, City Park and Cap Hill). I think something in the RiNo district would work for everyone location-wise. But realistically, I agree with you that real estate is MUCH cheaper in Aurora and might be a better investment.

Ideally, two would be installed. One to serve the metro area and one for Aurora.
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Nov 26, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
The Good Life Denver wrote:
From Movement: "Yes! I am happy to report we are in full swing. We are engaged with a realtor looking at several different potential locations and are in conversations with investors. So send us good vibes that all goes well!" Sending good vibes... I checked out Climb So Ill in St. Louis this past weekend, which only reinforced my belief that if St. Louis can have 2 good full-service gyms in/near downtown, Denver has no excuse not to at least have one! David


Excited about this. Denver ropes climbers need something soon. Thornton & Centennial are just too far away and way too crowded.
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Nov 30, 2012
The Good Life Denver wrote:
While we are still sorely in need of a premier, full-service (not just bouldering) gym in Denver, I definitely give props to the Denver Bouldering Club for its efforts to remodel its interior and open up the gym 7 days a week to both members and non-members: mountainproject.com/v/the-denv... I just emailed Anne Worley with Movement in Boulder to check in on their potential plans to bring a gym to Denver (and will let you know what she says, with her permission). It really seems like the issue with bringing a gym to Denver hasn't been a lack of funding or a lack of interest, but rather a lack of suitable spaces. If funding were an issue, though, after reading this article theatlanticcities.com/neighbor... I'd be intrigued about using a crowdfunding model to bridge the gap and would love to be an investor.


Hey, I live downtown and know of a few buildings and sites that would be great! If any input or help is needed, let me know.
James D
Joined Jun 5, 2009
10 points
Feb 1, 2013
Water solo route at the Boneyard
Anyone know something about Movement grabbing this domain? Hope this is a start..

movementdenver.com/
John MI
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 18, 2009
55 points
Feb 1, 2013
Stabby
James D wrote:
Hey, I live downtown and know of a few buildings and sites that would be great! If any input or help is needed, let me know.

meme
meme
Mike Lane
From Centennial, CO
Joined Jan 21, 2006
839 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 3 of 4.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!