New climbing gym in Denver
   Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

By Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Dec 29, 2011
Mt. Baker

So I was out the other night with a friend of mine and he told me he is interested in investing in a new business. I know there is another thread on this but I was thinking this might be a great opportunity to build a new gym in Denver.

The money is there to get something really good going but neither of us have ever worked at a gym before. We would of course need a partner to work with us who has plenty of experience in this area.

Lots needs to be thought through. Location, parking, permits, sponsors, eqipment, memberships, square footage, etc.

This is a project and something that can happen, and if given the right advice can be the best gym in the area. Like I said the funds are there to build it.

If you live in the area and are interested in making something new happen in Denver or have some other helpful advice, let me know. PM or post away.

Thanks in advance to everyone in the MP world!

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 29, 2011
Stabby

1st rule of real estate: location location location.

By JoeValley
Dec 29, 2011

There is a large brick building being renovated on south broadway near the Mayan Theater. I was hoping it might be something cool, maybe a climbing gym. The word is its going to be a bowling alley. A bowling alley? Really? People still do that? I know a lot of people who rock climb. I don't know of anyone that bowls. I think it is a great idea and there is most certainly a market for it. We do have a lot of outdoor climbing but there is alway a market for indoor walls and training facilities. I have also heard that the spot is going to build a downtown denver gym and from the Good Life article it sounds like the Movement people are interested. It would be awesome if all the parties interested collaborated to put out the best product possible. It would suck if everyone raced through the construction and design process in an attempt to be the first gym in DTD. We don't need three separate mediocre gyms if we have one good one.

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Dec 29, 2011

I know quite a few climbers who bowl.

By JoeValley
Dec 29, 2011

Kevin Landolt wrote:
I know quite a few climbers who bowl.

Really? They own their own ball and shoes?

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Dec 29, 2011
blah

I have worked for a couple gyms and organized lots of events, if its possible i would get onboard full time with this venture.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 29, 2011
Stabby

PM me when you get to design stages, I can give you an estimate for a design/build plumbing and hvac contract.

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
self portrait

JJNS wrote:
Really? They own their own ball and shoes?

I do.

By Jon C. Sullivan
From Fort Collins, CO
approach to the Grand

I am in the process of finding property in the Denver Metro area for New Generation Climbing. We have a developed business plan and are a little ways out from completing our web page which provides a wealth of information regarding our mission statement for the facility and organization itself. There are currently only two of us seeking funding and so far we have a descent start up amount. We are totally open to joining up with one or two more people and going in on this together. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at newgenerationclimbing@gmail.com or jon@newgenerationclimbing.org (it would be helpful if you just did both!)
This is pretty exciting stuff!
Cheers,
Jon

By JoeValley

Tom R wrote:
I do.

Ok. Thats cool. I wasn't trying to put down bowling or knock the people that enjoy it. I was just hoping for a climbing gym.

By Kevin Craig
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

Mike Lane wrote:
1st rule of real estate: location location location. In my opinion, the site should be (sorry Allen Hill, not downtown) located in the SW quadrant of the metro area, near C470 and Santa Fe. There are industrial parcels there, thus being able to permit a 40'-50' building. In addition, you'd be able to market to all the youth of Highlands Ranch, Littleton, and the Columbine valley, and be accessible (via C-470) from Golden. Also, look into the cost-benefit differences between a steel structure and a tilt-up building to get maximum height.

And this would've near your house Mike? The area you suggest is waaay to close to R&J2 and would pull from the same base. What's needed is something in the west-central metro area- Golden, Arvada etc. R&J1 and any of the Boulder gyms are at least 45min - 1 hour from this area with traffic (whereas C470/Sante Fe is what? 15-20 minutes, tops, from R&J2?). Yes, the area i suggest IS near MY house, but at least there's objective support for locating there. Also getting to your location from Golden/Arvada is a frikkin nightmare after work on 470, so it wouldn't draw from there either.

By Colin Simon
From Boulder, CO
Just below Thunderbolt Peak

Slightly unrelated, but San Jose, CA is ripe for a new gym. The Sunnyvale Planet Granite is horribly overcrowded. The company can get away with being horrible to customers because there's no competition.

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Dec 30, 2011

It does seem a little strange that there is no gym near Golden and that section of west Denver, considering the number of climbers around there.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Dec 30, 2011
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

I see a golden opportunity to appeal to a small market of bowling rock climbers.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

Kevin Craig wrote:

Can't you get to the plethora of Boulder gyms from Golden/Arvada in about 20 minutes?
RJ2 draws from Parker and Cherry Creek kids mostly. I'm about 5 miles away from it and it still takes me up to a 1/2 hour to get there thanks to the nightmare that is Arapahoe Road. The location I propose has a huge under 18 population that Arvada and Golden do not. Arvada and Golden are essentially retirement zones, lots of folks collecting dust in their houses around there. I forgot to add the draw populations of Castle Rock (The Meadows) and Roxborough. And probably most important, with my location there are vacant parcels zoned for industrial use where you could actually pull a permit for a tall building. The only area in your zone would be Denver West, and with all the NREL work going on makes land values outrageous.
Plus, I'm 51 with numerous joint issues, gyms aren't my thing anymore so I don't care about its location in personal terms.

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
self portrait

muttonface wrote:

Throw in roller skating and a snack bar and you have kids' birthday party hell!

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course

I never climb in the gyms in Denver, but are they currently over crowded? Do you know lots of people who have to drive up to Boulder frequently to climb? It would seem like a no-brainer that the metro area could use more gyms, but things aren't always what they seem. I would hate to see a beautiful, large new gym open and have to close in the same year. Just make sure there is really a market to support whatever size facility you're planning, obviously.

By Anna Floyd
From Golden, CO
Anna

I second the votes for Golden/west Denver. I used to live in Golden, and it took us 40 minutes to get to RJ1, and 40 minutes to get to the Boulder gyms. Keep in mind, most people climb after work, when it's rush hour (in response to the comment posted about it only taking 20 minutes to get to Boulder from Golden). Oh, and it took about 45-50 minutes for us to get to RJ2.

Of course, you should do some real marketing research here, but it seems like the Golden area would be great. Maybe even something between Golden/Littleton. Golden isn't just retired people. School of Mines brings in a good number of 18-24 year olds.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

Not really trying to argue, but with Arvada/Golden you have North Table and CCC and even Morrison for after work 3/4ths of the year.

I personally think developing a roller derby rink/training center would be more profitable and a lot more fun. That sport is on the verge of blowing up huge now that they're starting kiddie and teen leagues.

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Just a teaser

Ya gonna have to say the Golden/ Lakewood area too. If you could find something around the Mills you have a HUGE market between Lakewood, Arvada, Golden and Littleton. Real Estate could be tricky though.

By Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Mt. Baker

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

Mark Wyss wrote:
I know the traffic on 25 is a pain pretty much all day long, but after reading a few posts, I am thinking about a gym in the 6th/Colfax ave and I-25 vicinity. Easy commute for the Golden climbers, Easy to find an alternate route to the gym if there is an accident on 25. It will be close to downtown and CU Denver/Metro. Not terribly far from DU or Regis. There is a light rail station close as well.

Thats interesting. I used to work for Broomhall Brothers at 13th and Umatilla. I google mapped that part of town, and there are some parcels around there to work with. There's a junkyard right there, and more land north and east a little. Looks like inexpensive land too. Access for there via I25 is from the 8th Ave exit, central Denver from 13th Ave. Its not as bad to get there as first glance might imply.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Dec 30, 2011
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

I wonder if the Paradise rock gym guys have given up. We need a gym just north of Downtown, I'm with Allen Hill on this one.

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
self portrait

Mark Wyss wrote:

If I were considering building a gym in Denver, this is where I would want to put it. Centrally located, close to I-25 and 6th ave, plenty of (relatively)low cost industrial real estate.

By Derek W
First summit of First Flatiron

If your argument to not building around the 470 & Santa Fe area was it was too close to RJ2, then why 6th Ave and I-25? That is only 16 minutes from RJ1 per google maps...

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
self portrait

Wehling wrote:

It's a bit longer during rush hour. When I leave home (Wash Park) at 5:00, it typically takes 45 minutes to get to RJ1

Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>