New bouldering gym in Vegas

By Cody Hidler
Jan 31, 2014
Hey everyone, looks like there is going to be a new bouldering only gym opening in Vegas later this year. It's going to be just under 12,000 sq. feet and located near Russell and Valley View.

Get psyched Vegas climbers--this facility is going to be big, modern, and one of the premier bouldering gyms in the country!

By Stone Nude
Feb 1, 2014
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Heard about a new gym for at least 5 years now. When the holds start going up, I'll believe it.

By Cody Hidler
Feb 2, 2014
Hey fair enough VaGenius. I can tell you the guy behind this new gym has built and run a few climbing gyms previously and has over 20 years experience in the business, so it's not just some random person that thinks it would be cool to own a gym.

All that being said, these projects do fall through sometimes and we could get hung up, but we're pretty confident this is going to happen or else I wouldn't be posting anything about it.

I'll post some more details in a couple weeks.

By Stone Nude
Feb 2, 2014
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
All good, I wish you the best of luck. The rumors have gone around the bend about numerous world class facilities that are about to put Bad and Worse out of business. So far it hasn't panned out, but ya never know.

By MMM3
Feb 4, 2014
Nice!!! I'm excited to see a new gym in Vegas. Who's building it?

By Cody Hidler
Mar 6, 2014
Hi everyone, sorry for the lag in communication here. We've been laying low for a few weeks until our lease was official. We have just signed a lease with the Valley View Corporate Center located on the corner of Valley View and Post road. It's an 11,300 sq ft building with easy access off both I-15 and 215.

The gym is going to be a bouldering only format, with plenty of great terrain for everybody.

For more details on the gym and updates on our progress, check out Refuge Climbing Center on facebook--and make sure to like us! We will be updating that page with any new information including the wall design which should be finished in a couple of weeks.

Feel free to comment on that page with questions and I'll try to respond, or you can contact me directly. We expect to be building in July and hope to be open as early as October.

By Cody Hidler
Mar 6, 2014
And to answer your question MMM3, Louie Anderson is building the gym. He's the guy behind the Factory bouldering gym in Orange county and has built several other awesome gyms around the country.

The gym's owner is the guy behind the Rockreation climbing gyms in Salt Lake and California, but this gym will look nothing like the Rockreation facilities, which are older generation facilities. This is the bouldering gym we've been wanting to build for years now.

By Stone Nude
Sep 13, 2014
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Any update on this place?

By Dan Austin
From San Francisco, CA
Sep 15, 2014
FWIW a couple weeks ago they said they'd be opening in Oct on their Facebook page in comments on recent photos. Looks pretty cool in its early stage!

By Cody Hidler
Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys, as Dan mentioned, you can see progress pictures on our facebook site under Refuge climbing center, or visit our website at climbrefuge.com where you can get general info and sign up for a newsletter if you're so inclined. Progress is going well--we should be painting the walls and laying landing pads by the end of the week. We will be opening early to mid October--exact dates should come soon. Thanks!

By Dan Austin
From San Francisco, CA
Sep 19, 2014
On a somewhat related note, I'll be in Vegas for work the last week of September, and will probably have time to sneak out mid-day for a quick session on Wednesday. I might be able to get to Red Rocks for a couple of hours, but realistically I probably will just have enough time to hit up a gym. Looks like the options -- since this new bouldering gym won't be open :( -- are the Red Rock Climbing Center and the Nevada Climbing Center. Any recommendations? I'll probably be solo, so either bouldering or auto-belay. Would like to be able to work some V6-V8 (depending on how soft the grading is!) and climb on steep terrain.

From looking at websites, I think the RRCC looks better -- more climbable area and more interesting terrain. NCC looks cleaner, but with pretty limited bouldering and fairly short walls. Does that sound right?

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Sep 19, 2014
Dan- youve got the gist of it. I've climbed at both, set at both, and I'd take R2C2 over NCC if I only had a day and wanted to get a good workout. That its closer to Red Rock doesn't hurt either if you wanted to get a hike in or some real rock climbing.