New bouldering gym in Vegas

By Cody Hidler
Jan 31, 2014

Hey everyone, looks like there is going to be a new bouldering only gym opening in Vegas later this year. It's going to be just under 12,000 sq. feet and located near Russell and Valley View.

Get psyched Vegas climbers--this facility is going to be big, modern, and one of the premier bouldering gyms in the country!

By Zappatista
Feb 1, 2014
Book me, officer.

Heard about a new gym for at least 5 years now. When the holds start going up, I'll believe it.

By Cody Hidler
Feb 2, 2014

Hey fair enough VaGenius. I can tell you the guy behind this new gym has built and run a few climbing gyms previously and has over 20 years experience in the business, so it's not just some random person that thinks it would be cool to own a gym.

All that being said, these projects do fall through sometimes and we could get hung up, but we're pretty confident this is going to happen or else I wouldn't be posting anything about it.

I'll post some more details in a couple weeks.

By Zappatista
Feb 2, 2014
Book me, officer.

All good, I wish you the best of luck. The rumors have gone around the bend about numerous world class facilities that are about to put Bad and Worse out of business. So far it hasn't panned out, but ya never know.

By MMM3
Feb 4, 2014

Nice!!! I'm excited to see a new gym in Vegas. Who's building it?

By Cody Hidler
Mar 6, 2014

Hi everyone, sorry for the lag in communication here. We've been laying low for a few weeks until our lease was official. We have just signed a lease with the Valley View Corporate Center located on the corner of Valley View and Post road. It's an 11,300 sq ft building with easy access off both I-15 and 215.

The gym is going to be a bouldering only format, with plenty of great terrain for everybody.

For more details on the gym and updates on our progress, check out Refuge Climbing Center on facebook--and make sure to like us! We will be updating that page with any new information including the wall design which should be finished in a couple of weeks.

Feel free to comment on that page with questions and I'll try to respond, or you can contact me directly. We expect to be building in July and hope to be open as early as October.

By Cody Hidler
Mar 6, 2014

And to answer your question MMM3, Louie Anderson is building the gym. He's the guy behind the Factory bouldering gym in Orange county and has built several other awesome gyms around the country.

The gym's owner is the guy behind the Rockreation climbing gyms in Salt Lake and California, but this gym will look nothing like the Rockreation facilities, which are older generation facilities. This is the bouldering gym we've been wanting to build for years now.