New app versions and pricing

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
May 15, 2013
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

As we've been saying for months, as of today, the mobile apps are no longer free.

But there is some good news! Outdoor Research has stepped up and is sponsoring the app with small ads on some pages. Because of this support we will not charge *existing* users of the app. For NEW users, the apps cost $7.99 (a bit cheaper than the $9.99 we have been announcing).

Once again, if you already have the app installed, it will currently remain free (including data downloads).

Because of the way Android works, if you want to update the app in the future, you will have to pay for and install a new version. But the current version should work on your phone as long as you don't uninstall it.

Let the flames begin!

Andy and Nick

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
May 15, 2013
Profile Photo <br />

Could I make a in app purchase to remove ads? I have no problems paying for the app but really am anti-ad on such a small screen.

By Kyle vH
May 15, 2013

Wow! That's really cool news. The app is really useful and robust and simple. Very cool that a sponsor will help keep it cheap. I'd also consider purchasing an ad-free version, though I'm not adverse to small ads, either. Thanks for grandfathering in existing users!
If you ever want beta testers(on Android) pm me, I'd be happy to poke around for bugs.

By Josh Janes
May 15, 2013

Great news!

By the way, could you detail what the new UI updates are?

The ads are both visible and unobtrusive - they're there but once you scroll down they're gone. Thank you for that thoughtful design!

By quiggle
May 15, 2013
y

AWESOME!1! Thanks guys

By GLD
May 15, 2013

I do have to say as the other thread pointed out that your change description is very half-hearted 'UI updates" = "ads"?

I understand and support your change but describe it properly. It's annoying from a accurate description perspective.

By Riley McDonald
May 15, 2013

I would also be willing to pay for an ad-free version. The lack of ads was part of what made the previous version so great.

By DrApnea
From Salt Lake City, UT
May 16, 2013

love the app, use it all the time. Paid for the once upon a time charged version that later became a free version, and now I was planning on buying the paid version once it was initiated at some point in 2013. But I'm a bit confused now as to why this is an ad supported application. There is no way I plan on updating the application, even if it is a free update, when including ads is an upgrade. After all, it is an application of user contributed information, which I have already paid for once, contributed information, and am willing to pay for the application again . but not with ads.
I would much rather have what has been discussed for the past year which was a paid version at some point in 2013. No ads.
Maybe I have misunderstood though and the new paid version is ad free, but the reason the application was good was it lacked distracting junk on the small phone screen

By safetyfourth
May 16, 2013

They are OR ads ... not penis enlargement pills or the like.

Thanks OR!

By Nate_801
From St. George
May 16, 2013
Moab

Guys it's 10 F ing dollars. Why does everyone have to continue to bitch and complain about the fee. Here is the solution, don't pay the fee and go buy guide books!!!

By Alphonse
From Winter Park
May 16, 2013

Nate_801 wrote:

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
May 16, 2013
Best day of climbing ever.  Darin Limvere photo.

Sounds like some are complaining that they'd rather pay the full $10 and not have ads than pay $8 and have ads.

I have not seen the ads, but sounds like they are unobtrusive.

You can't please all the people all the time -- aiming for "most" seems reasonable.

By Charlie S
From Ogden, UT
May 16, 2013
Cams above the arm bar moves on Three Pigs in a Slot, Indian Creek.

I too would have like to have an "ad free" version. Don't care if it's a higher price.

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
May 16, 2013
Profile Photo <br />

I would like to give some props to OR for sponsoring the app! That being said I'd be willing to pay another $10 to not have ads. How much would others pay to not have ads?

By colincool
From Fort Collins, Colorado
May 16, 2013

So awesome that existing users are grandfathered in. I don't feel that the OR ads take up too much space on my iphone screen. This app is almost as requisite for a day at the crags as all the other gear needed to actually climb.

By SDY
May 16, 2013

OR ad version seems interesting, little frustrated though, I deleted the app a few days ago thinking I would have to start paying. If I had known there was gonna be an add version I would have kept it. Oh well

By kirkadirka
From Boulder
May 28, 2013
turkey rocks

I had to do a hard reset of my phone and I lost all apps including the free mp app that I had installed.

So, now that I am considering purchasing the new app, I have a question about how payment works:

If I pay for the app today and at a later time I get a new phone or have to hard reset my phone, do I have to pay to install the app again?

By John Ross
From Wasatch Front, UT
May 31, 2013
FA of <a href='/v/gunner/106128521'>Gunner</a>, AF Cyn.

Oops! Wish I had not updated to the Ad version. It is just a big disappointment to see ads in the app after this recent update. The ads are a distraction when Iím trying to quickly look for route beta. Hey I REALLY like this app and use it a lot! It is great to quickly look up beta with just a couple of taps and look up area and route location, the number of bolts or size of gear, beta photos, comments, and previous tick dates. I use this app every time I go out. Maybe I will get used to the ads, but they are annoying, and I would never browse or buy gear through the app. I fully expected to pay $10 for the app this year and would gladly pay every year to eliminate ads in the app.

By jarthur
From Westminster, CO
May 31, 2013
My dogs got ups yo!

How about just not updating the App? I haven't updated mine and I don't have any ads.

By Joshua Steenburgh
From Longmont, Colorado
Jun 1, 2013
Chocolate Corner.

Good news! Thanks MP!

By caesar.salad
From southern Maine
Jun 3, 2013

what ads? my version doesn't show any.

By claudmia
From Raleigh, NC
Jun 12, 2013

My issue with the ads is not that they're there, but when they aren't. Weird, yeah? Well, if you're out in the middle of nowhere and open the app, it tries to load the ads... unsuccessfully. Every time you change a page, you have to wait for the connection to time out before the page will load. If you have service, it's not a problem. It's just incredibly annoying when you don't.

By Caprinae monkey
Jun 12, 2013

John Marsella wrote:
Once you update, there is no going back

ROFL this is great!

That's why when I update something on my computer I make sure the original setup package is saved first, incase I hate the new version. Not sure how to do that on a smart phone yet.