New Aliens from Summer OR
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Chad F
From Costa Mesa, CA
Aug 7, 2014
photo
I just stumbled upon a blog from Summer OR, new aliens? sweet!
new alien
new alien

Here is the blog I found it at...
blog link

By Old Sag
Aug 7, 2014
Cool link. Thanks for sharing.

Is the bottom picture of the Alien Evolution? (Evo Aliens? Lol.) Anyway, that doesn't look like it has a lot of metal on the lobes. I actually think the X4s look bomber in comparison and would rather buy one of those than an Alien, new or old.

By mpech
Aug 7, 2014
dear god, what have they done to the aliens? It looks like the love child of a mastercam, alien and WC cam...

The only positive thing is that they appear to have switched how the cam-lobes are attached to the axle-- looks like they moved away from the press-fit to a different method.

Maybe they realized how much better the Totem basics were, and are trying to differentiate themselves?

By idahomike
Aug 7, 2014
Stronger, narrower, and lighter - sounds good to me!

By Stone Nude
Aug 8, 2014
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Looks promising.

By mattm
From TX
Aug 8, 2014
Grande Grotto
Most excited about the upcoming WC Superlight OFFSET Rocks - Never been able to get 100% behind the DMM/HB offsets - Yes, I get they're amazing in pin scars but I just never found them as versatile in anything BUT pin scars. This was always due to the straight taper of ALL 4 sides. I found that setup somewhat limiting and still prefer WC Rocks as set one, DMM Walnuts as set two for "normal size" nuts (4-8/9ish)

The new WC Superlight Offsets look to solve my biggest issue

youtu.be/CE-i0RSqEXo WC SL Offsets

By bearbreeder
Aug 8, 2014
Its significantly lighter

Fixe alien vs x4
Fixe alien vs x4

;)

By Old Sag
Aug 8, 2014

By reboot
From Westminster, CO
Aug 8, 2014
bearbreeder wrote:
Its significantly lighter ;)

The Totem basic green is 61g, w/ aluminum trigger bar, FWIW. I bet Fixe was getting hammered & finally decided to compete. They still don't have an internal spring blue though...

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Aug 8, 2014
P3 on Nutcracker.
When are they set to release?

By coldatom
From Cambridge, MA
Aug 8, 2014
Jurassic Park
bearbreeder wrote:
Its significantly lighter ;)

Thank God.
I have always found that the weight of my Aliens hold me back.

+1 number grade for me!

By bearbreeder
Aug 8, 2014
coldatom wrote:
Thank God. I have always found that the weight of my Aliens hold me back. +1 number grade for me!

Its significantly lighter than the x4 equivalant

Especially as they are planning a version with an extendible sling

Which saves 50-80g right off the bat

;)

By Shameless Shaemus
Aug 8, 2014
Love the Totem Basics, absolutely best small cam I've ever owned. More refined and engineering than the Fixe's. But what the hell has happened to the them and the company? Website hasn't worked in almost two years…can't find them anywhere...

By Brassmonkey
Aug 8, 2014
Brass monkey
Rock and snow has a full stock of regular and offset totem basics hanging on their wall right now. I think you can order online or call the shop and they'll ship them.

By Charlie S
From Ogden, UT
Aug 9, 2014
Cams above the arm bar moves on Three Pigs in a Sl...
Josh Allred wrote:
When are they set to release?

If I'm remembering my conversation with the rep correctly, he said it'd be on the Fixe Hardware website in 4 weeks. Or maybe it was 4 months...but I'm pretty sure I recall weeks. Don't quote me on that.

By J D
Aug 11, 2014
Beautiful day at Way Rambo
Anybody know how much these are going to sell for? Would it be the same $68 as the regular ones?

By Tapas
Aug 11, 2014
They said price would be $2 less at OR, and would be available through select dealers as early as September. On the FIXE website sometime after that.

By Dave Alie
From Golden, CO
Aug 11, 2014
Photo Credit: The talented Pete Garceau
reboot wrote:

Can't comment on the internal spring blue alien, but I spoke with Kevin about the new aliens at OR and he explained that Fixe retained the original design in order to honor Dave's request that the CCH design be kept for a certain period of time. That time period has now elapsed and the new aliens have a small handful of tweaks that collectively put the cam on a diet. Can confirm: they are super light. Having not used them, I obviously can't say anything more about how the new generation climbs, though after playing with them briefly there doesn't seem to be anything that represents an alarming departure from the traditional aliens. Will report back once I get a chance to climb on them.

From what I recall, he said the first batch would be on it's way over from Spain sometime in the early fall, though not sure if that was sample/pre-order stuff or if that's when production models hit the shelves.

By Salamanizer
From Vacaville Ca.
Aug 18, 2014
The new Aliens look good. An update into the 21st century and only a decade too late;)

As for that Eldrid Jul 2 thing in the video link. I can tell you one thing they won't mention about it in the video. "There is no better way to constantly and consistantly short rope your partners, than with the Jul 2".

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Aug 18, 2014
Middle
Hopefully the ends won't break off.

By cms829
Aug 19, 2014
high e
Am I the only one who is questioning their choice of material on the piece which the wires are housed? I would guess that the trigger is plastic, and if so it looks like the wire "bar" is plastic as well. If this is the case- no way they will hold up over years of trad climbing IMO. That area of the cam can take a heck of a beating. Specifically in shallow horizontals.

Does anyone know if that is painted or anodized aluminum? Or is it plastic?

Looks like a master cam with alien lobes.

By James Dean Anderson
From Denver, CO
Aug 25, 2014
Indian Creek

backcountrygear.com/active-pro...

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Aug 26, 2014
Middle
James Dean Anderson wrote:
Looks like the new aliens in both varieties (standard sling and double sling) are available: backcountrygear.com/active-pro...

Site says backordered.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Aug 26, 2014
tanuki
meh.

By Shameless Shaemus
Aug 26, 2014
NC Rock Climber wrote:
meh. The Totem Basic (their version of the alien) is the best small cam out there right now.

+1 for that! Absolutely love them…more refined and machined than the Fixe version, great trigger/action and lobes give a sense of "grip" for confidence…I have X4 is the two smallest sizes and while okay aren't all that…short stem sucks for trying to place in deep pockets etc. Totems Rule.

By M Bageant
Sep 24, 2014
Has anyone gotten their hands on some of these bad boys yet? This refresh bumped Aliens up to the top of the list of "things to spend money that I don't have on."

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>