Human spine found near Prince of Darkness
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Tyson Anderson
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 11, 2010
Rapping from the top of Cat in the hat

[update]

The remains were found to be John Rosholt. www.mountainproject.com/v/nevada/john_rosholt_rip/106964267

RIP

www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/nov/11/police-human-red-rock-h>>>

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Nov 11, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

I wonder if they are in fact "human remains" or did the newspaper jump to conclusions. If it is human, they should look into some of the cases, depending on how old the remains are, of hikers, climbers, and suicidal folks reported missing over the years in Southern Nevada. That area isn't the most ideal of "body dumping" grounds for criminals in our neck of the woods.

By JPVallone
Nov 11, 2010

Did they only find the spine and it said it was wrapped in a T shirt, thats some weird stuff right there!

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Nov 11, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

Animals probably hauled off most of the body, and bones.

By Joe Huggins
From 666 Rue le Jour-Edge City
Nov 11, 2010
mmmm....tree

I don't like being morbid,but this makes me wonder; what happened to Rosholt? A lot of unknowns left after a short blurb like that.

By Danny Meyers
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 12, 2010
Claret, FR. at the base of Kilotonnique!

Joe Huggins wrote:

John was a very talented climber, strong, experienced and very analytical - I don't believe that he would have ended up soloing in Black Velvet Canyon after leaving his vehicle (a Toyota 4WD) in the Silverton's parking lot. But I have to admit that when I heard this report, it made me think of John. And, after hearing the news, another local climber texted me wondering if they'd finally found him. Ultimately, I believe that John was too proficient a climber for it to cause his disappearance.

By Bill Duncan
From Jamestown, CO
Nov 12, 2010
Leading the 3rd pitch of West Side Story.

Dan Meyers wrote:

Rick Blair wrote:
Isn't there a lot of UFO activity in that there desert around Vegas?

Hmmmm. Could be.

By alpinglow
From city, state
Nov 12, 2010

Where exactly was this?
Anywhere near the base of Prince of Darkness gets 15 visitors a week?

How come noone has seen this before?

By John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
Nov 13, 2010
South of Windy Peak

Here's a link to a report on the KVBC website with video:

Hikers find partial human spine in Red Rock Conservation Area

By GMBurns
Nov 13, 2010
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil. <br /> <br />(photo by Isa Vellozo)

Very weird it hasn't been seen before.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Nov 13, 2010
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

It could have been washed down from somewhere during rains. It rarely rains in Southern Nevada, but when it does it pours, and if you have ever been out in Red Rock in downpours, you'll know that waterfalls come out of nowhere (quite beautiful, actually); tearing through gulleys, and pouring down the canyon walls (pay extra attention to all the water streaks on Red Rock Canyon's walls if you're climbing in inclement weather, and be cautious in gulleys, and in chimneys- y'all should know this already).

By Sims
From Centennial
Nov 14, 2010
Girls W/ proud Dad.

GMBurns wrote:
I find it odd they talk about the remoteness of the area. Each time I've ever been there I've been one of a dozen or so parties between Frogland and Epi on any given day; it just gets a lot of traffic. Very weird it hasn't been seen before.

Define remote. Many perhaps not enough, find anything beyond the pavement is remote.

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Nov 14, 2010
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

I recall when John Rosholt was reported missing on rc.com years ago, and for some reason it's haunted me ever since. I didn't know him, but something just seemed lonely and unfair about his disappearance. I thought about him in particular when my partner and I did Johnny Vegas a couple of years ago (supposedly that was Rosholt's nickname).

Sorry to interrupt the levity that seems to go along with the discovery of some unfortunate person's remains, but if this turns out to be Rosholt, I hope this brings peace to his spirit and to those who miss him.

JL

By harihari
From VANCOUVER
Nov 14, 2010

OK, Rosholt story.

John and Peder Ourom were working on a new pitch on the Squamish Buttress. This new pitch was right beside the 10c pitch. Anybody who has climbed in Squamish knows that, on weekend afternoons, this pitch is a bottleneck, where party after party throws themselves at it and lineups are long. Fortunately, there is a palatial balcony from which to watch the action.

Anyway, Rosholt is up there in his aiders, flicking rocks out of the 12- crack they are working on. And along comes a guided party. The guide gets up in a huff when the odd bit of moss and pebble come down from the new crack fifteen feet right of the tourist route.

"Hey!" he yells up at Rosholt, "would you mind waiting until my clients and I have climbed past?"

"No way" says Rosholt, "progress can't wait!" They sent a few hours later and they called the pitch Progress Can't Wait.

By Joe Huggins
From 666 Rue le Jour-Edge City
Nov 14, 2010
mmmm....tree

Dan Meyers wrote:
John was a very talented climber, strong, experienced and very analytical -

I'm not suggesting that John was soloing;(he talked me into tandem-soloing the Bulge in Eldo...he went first). I think I'm like a lot of people who wonder if he pissed off the wrong guy by winning his money in a game of Holdem. If you've played poker with Rosholt, you know not to take more money than you could afford to lose, and he was making his living at it long before it was a TV show. I realize that it's a pretty long stretch to imagine that some nefarious asshole killed him and dumped his body in Black Velvet; but it makes me wonder, and it makes me sad to think that we may never know what happened to him.

By YDPL8S
From Santa Monica, Ca.
Nov 15, 2010
Korea 1 1975

He was a close friend and a strong climbing force to all of those in the climbing community in Gunnison in the 70's. He and I were in the geology department together @ WSC. I have a ton of "Gambler" stories, as do most that ever spent any time with him. Good Guy!!

John in happier times:

Climbers picnic - Spring 1976 -
Climbers picnic - Spring 1976 -

By natebloser
Nov 15, 2010
The Vampire

I was on Dream of Wild Turkeys on Friday when the helicopter came in for the recovery operation. It went to the top of the route, then hovered over our heads for about 30 minutes. It left, then came back later. We assumed they were looking for a party that got caught out Thursday night. It was 24 deg. F at the trail head when we started, so a bivy would be no fun. It's sad to hear that someone lost their life up there. Nate

By phil broscovak
Nov 15, 2010
Dreamin' Dawg

My gut feeling is that these remains are not John.
Why would he leave his packed vehicle in the casino parking lot to go 3rd classing in Black Velvet Canyon? How many mob wet workers are competent climbers capable of depositing a stiff well off the deck? I'd think none. I hope they figure this out and bring closure to someone's family and friends. RIP.

By YDPL8S
From Santa Monica, Ca.
Nov 15, 2010
Korea 1 1975

I agree Phil.

By phil broscovak
Nov 15, 2010
Dreamin' Dawg

Can any of you local Las Vegans fill in some info? Like where and how high up the cliff were the rest of the remains found?

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Nov 15, 2010
new toy

The news stories were pretty bad, they kept saying they thought it was a hiker but then described a technical rescue making it sound like it was high on the wall somewhere.

Anyone out in the canyon that day that might have accurate info?

By natebloser
Nov 15, 2010
The Vampire

We stopped at pitch 10 on DOWT. All the action was a few hundred feet higher. I've never been on top, but I think it's easy 5th and 4th class up there.

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Nov 15, 2010
new toy

Interesting, I didn't realize it was so high on the wall. I think that area is a bunch of easy 5th, 4th class, but then a headwall that leads to the false summitt of Black Velvet. In that case it could be a hiker who fell from the false summitt area? Who knows, will be interesting to hear what they find out.

By GMBurns
Nov 15, 2010

Sims wrote:

inaccessible, sparsely populated, far away, etc.

I realize that for the vast majority of people popping tokens into slot machines that BVC is remote, but for the people who use it on a regular basis, the approach is reasonable (the hardest part being the final uphill) and the area is frequented by quite a few people on a daily basis. My point is that these remains weren't not discovered because the remoteness of the area kept people away.

I got the impression they (the stories) were suggesting the remains hadn't been found due to the remoteness of the area, which, when one considers how many climbers access this area on a regular basis, isn't the case at all.

By phil broscovak
Nov 15, 2010
Dreamin' Dawg

I realize that the average TV talking head has about as much understanding of climbing as a turnip but the reports are contradictory and confusing. It sounds as if the spine was found near the base trail and the rest of the remains were substantially higher on the wall. Curiouser and curiouser.

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Nov 16, 2010
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rocks, NV

Rest in Peace whomever this lost soul was....

Looks like a great case for CSI Las Vegas crew?

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>