Neoprene gloves for ice

By Paul-B
Feb 20, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

I have been toying with the idea of buying a pair of neoprene paddling gloves for ice climbing, these ones www.rei.com/product/722196/nrs-hydroskin-paddling-gloves-uni>>>. I did a bit of searching on MP and i found a few isolated posts where people said they've tried neoprene gloves and it didn't work/like them, but no real reasons why. Anybody used them and liked them? Seems like a decent idea to me.

By michael voth
Feb 20, 2013
2nd pitch of Womb.

just make sure they're water proof and youll be happy

By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
Feb 20, 2013
beck on limestone

I like them if it is not colder than 15 F or in semi wet conditions.

By Jim Amidon
Feb 20, 2013
J TREE

make your hands sweat and stink as the gloves do not breath....

By Scott Perkins
Feb 20, 2013

I use them all the time in wet conditions, they work great. The ones you linked to are water resistent, and very thin, so might not keep your hands dry or provide much warmth. I really like these-
glacierglove.com/our-products/hunting/bristol-bay-neo-full-c>>>

By Paul-B
Feb 21, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

Thanks, I think I will try some. I know they will not breath, but that is okay. I will only be wearing them for a short time while I lead, switch to my belay gloves to bring up my second.

By CWood
From SLC, UT
Feb 21, 2013

I tried some and in retrospect bought them much too tight. This particular design was 100% waterproof and insulated well enough that they seemed to allow the handles of my tools to collect ice, which didn't work out too well. It would be interesting to try some that are larger, and maybe with nitrile gloves inside as a "vapor barrier".

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Feb 21, 2013

I have a couple pairs of Glacier Gloves that I really like. They're not great when it's super cold, though. But take what I have to say with a grain of salt; I haven't swung tools in a few years.

By WillP
Feb 21, 2013

I'm also looking into getting a pair, and have heard positive things about the Glacier Gloves. My sister has used them a lot snowboarding and for fieldwork (soil-related) in Tibet, NZ and Scotland and swears by them as waterproof and warm.