Needles conditions for late June road trip 2013

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
Jun 10, 2013
vertebrae roof

We are considering a road trip from flag later this month, but could do high sierra instead if the needles would be too hot. Can anyone say from experience how the needles are in late june? Is it possible to stay in the shade yet climb roadtrip worthy classics if the temps get really high? My partner and I would stick to .10 and below, nothing R.

Please don't post the link to the MTB thread from a month ago. The one where no one actually climbed at the needles. Thx

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Jun 10, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

JMo.... June, July, Aug are the season for the Needles.

Sept, Oct and November is when it winds down.

The place is pretty Alpine, I have learned to never NOT Have a windbreaker cause: Shade + Breeze = Freezing in August.

happy climbing.

By ACassebeer
From Mojave, CA
Jun 10, 2013
Original Sin, 11b, Riverside Quarry <br />Photo: Louie Anderson

You can easily climb the classics and stay in the shade. Standard practice is to hike in to the notch between the Witch and the Sorcerer/Charlatan. Climb a route on the Witch in the morning (Igor Unchained, Airy Interlude, Witch Doctor, Innersanctum) and climb a route on the Sorcerer/Charlatan in the afternoon (Spooky, Thin Ice, Fancy Free, etc)

You should know that if you're climbing in this area in the afternoon, the wind picks up and it's a bit chilly in the shade. Bring a windbreaker like Guy said. You can also just climb in the sun if it feels cold.

-Aaron

By Muff
Jun 10, 2013

JMo,

First off, the road to the Needles is open right now. I can attest to this as I was there 3 weekends ago. Although, the road has been deteriorating and a high clearance vehicle is highly recommended. There is a large gash developing in the road that poses the danger of damaging a low clearance vehicle.

Needles can be perfect or awful...or somewhere in between in June/July/August. It can be brutally hot in the sun and frigid in the shade. The nice thing is you can always pick and choose where you climb at the Needles assuming you can hang on each wall...some are full of moderate to difficult climbs and some are full of damn hard climbing. I know this doesn't offer any real exact answer but just beware of extremes in temperatures. I would say find somewhere else to climb if the weather reports call for 80+ but that's just my two cents.

Muff

By Alex Shainman
From the best place right now!
Jun 10, 2013
Is there any good gear or solid holds up here???

The ONLY formation that is usually too hot in the summer, for most people, is Voodoo Dome. The other formations have multiple aspects to chase shade or sun...Generaly, the sun is usually too intense on mid-summer days but the shade is delightful, even cold in the AM.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Jun 10, 2013

Like everyone has said, June can be prime, or even a little chilly. Last time I was there was in July I believe and had an internal debate as my partner finished leading the first pitch of Igor whether or not to take off my fleece. I kept it on and, while it got a little warm, it was preferable to how cold I would have gotten without it.

Have fun. There's a lot of really good stuff in your difficulty range. Those will also be the most crowded--Thin Ice, Airy Interlude, Igor, Fancy Free, Spooky, etc.--but I've never seen it too crazy there. Just be flexible and you'll be good.

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
Jun 10, 2013
vertebrae roof

Needles is ON! Thanks all, I really appreciate the guidance.