Need suggestions on places in South American/Central America for a climbing trip in April

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
Jan 13, 2013

First up, background information:

Last year, at the end of June, I was supposed to be in San Salvador for my cousin's wedding. Several weeks before the trip I got very very sick, and it wouldn't go away. I unfortunately had to cancel the trip.

The trip was booked via expedia.ca, and involved Air Canada, Lacsa Air of Costa Rica, and Taca Airlines of El Salvador. I have about $700+ credit that I have to use to fly and return by April 28.

So that eliminates Rio de Janeiro, as it is usually too rainy in April.

I am looking at El Portrero Chico Mexico And Cuba. But I would like to hear about other places that I should consider.

The trip would be about 14-18 days long.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jan 13, 2013
El Chorro

I don't know about the seasons, but Cochamo is a once in a life time trip. If you can go there, GO. Anywhere in Mexico or Cuba will be too hot in April, although it would probably be possible to climb in the shade in Potrero.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jan 13, 2013
Andrew Gram

What kind of climbing are you interested in?

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
Jan 13, 2013

Ryan Williams wrote:

I've checked out the website and the place looks great!

Unfortunately: "April days are even shorter, cooler and generally rainier."

I will keep that place in mind for future trips.

Andrew Gram wrote:
What kind of climbing are you interested in?

For the sake of not having to lug around a lot of gear I am primarily interested sport climbing.

BUT, after reading up on Cochamo, I am now open to carrying a light trad rack.

By John Byrnes
From Fort Collins, CO
Jan 22, 2013

I don't know if your credit has to be divided between those airlines, but Air Canada used to have a Toronto-GCM flight every saturday.

www.climbcaymanbrac.com

By Nick Votto
Jan 22, 2013
Bolton, VT

Taca fly's to Colombia, which is where I'm about to go....lots of sport climbing at higher altitudes, the guys who put up the Colombia info on this site are quite helpful...

...of course if I had the chance to go to Cochamo I would probably take it

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Jan 23, 2013
Imaginate

Cochamo wouldn't make any sense given your time of year and length of trip. It takes 2-3 days travel time to get from North America to a position where you can do some climbing, and 2-3 days of travel back to North America. Plus your airlines don't fly from north america to Chile or Arg. direct. Add to this a shoulder season for an already rainy place and you could go there for your 14-18 day trip and not even get a chance to climb.

I'd go to Portrero.

By danymal
From Avon, CO
Jan 23, 2013
Shirttail

Colombia!

By bearbreeder
Jan 23, 2013

u can borrow my cuba guidebook ...

just dont get thrown in the gulag if u get caught ;)

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
Jan 26, 2013

It looks like I'll be going to Costa Rica

issuu.com/dustinjj/docs/climbing_costa_rica

By Nicholas Hendershot
From Tennessee/Costa Rica
Jan 26, 2013

I'm living in Costa Rica until the end of May/June. If you want an extra person to climb with, you should shoot me an email right before you travel to Costa Rica. Can't promise I'll be able to make it out, but I may know my way around some of the crags by then. Pura vida

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
Jan 26, 2013

Nicholas Hendershot wrote:

PM sent

By Toni Walters
Jan 26, 2013

Check out monodedo.com for climbing in Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru. Taca goes to all three of those countries I believe.

By Lauren Batcheck
Feb 17, 2013

Nicholas and Khoi - I will also be traveling in Costa Rica from March 19-May 22. Would love to meet up to climb or at least pick your brain about the crags.