Need shoulder doc recommendations SLC area

By Luigi
Jul 18, 2012

It's time I had my shoulder looked at so need recommendations. Anyone had experience with Andrew Cooper, John Edwards or Phil Davidson? Thanks

By Erik Pohlman
From Westminster, CO
Jul 18, 2012
Erik on Demise of Mr. Riffraff, near the top.  Photo by Jer Collins.

Luigi,

Have you had your shoulder looked at by a physical therapist yet? I only ask this because, often, musculoskeletal issues can be safely and effectively resolved by seeing a PT at a lower cost than by seeing a physician (or surgeon.) I don't know off-hand if you have direct access to PT in your state, but if you are interested, message me and I will check on it.

Erik

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
Jul 18, 2012
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

This guy is the real deal:

www.rcmclinic.com/rcm-doctors/dr-metcalf

Has an office at TOSH and in Park City. 90% rotator cuff tear, bicep tenodesis, sub-acromial decompression. My shoulder is now BOMBER.

By Spencer Weiler
From SLC, UT
Jul 18, 2012
adf

i work at the university of utah ortho center, and we have some good shoulder docs here. Dr. Robert Tashjian is an excellent surgeon, specializes in shoulder and elbow. If you are looking for a sports med non operative doctor to start out with before seeing a surgeon, dr. dave petron is also great, although both usually run behind so expect a wait. 801 587 7109 to schedule appt.

No offense to the thought of seeing a PT first, but my experience is that PT don't diagnose, they help treat. They need a rx from a md first. My advise is to see a doc. We often refer people down to Metcalf at TOSH when insurance issues arise. He is excellent as well.

By paintrain
Jul 18, 2012
Chuck Norris can Divide by Zero

I have been to metcalf recently as well. I think any of the TOSH docs that specialize in shoulders will likely do what you need. The PT was more important, although the cortisone shot from the doc knocked the pain down for a couple of weeks.

I am 100% now with little pain.

Pt

By Luigi
Jul 18, 2012

I have been seen by a PT/rolfer (which I think is a great combo). He really helped with the adhesive capsulitis but after a year of following his exercise regimen I continue to have some obvious limitations and need to take it to the next step. Thanks for the feedback.

By tenesmus
Jul 19, 2012

Your Lady couldn't heal you, Paintrain?
+1 for Metcalf and Edwards.

Most guys who do shoulders also do knees and hips. Most of the time you'll get sent to PT and your experience will vary greatly depending on who you end up with.

When I do my exercises, my shoulders feel great. When I don't they feel bad.

Scapular stabilization helps a lot for most climbers I know. Good luck.

By paintrain
Jul 19, 2012
Chuck Norris can Divide by Zero

tenesmus wrote:
Your Lady couldn't heal you, Paintrain?.

I could take that comment in many directions. I wont.

Yes. Do your exercises. It starts hurting if i don't.

I haven't. Seen you in awhie T.
Pt