Need climbing partner 4 ez climbs in/near Orange County

By Pam Peery
Jun 15, 2012

Hi - Where do I start. I used to climb a lot. Was obsessed in fact, when I lived in Boulder. Then after many years of climbing (the hardest I climbed was 5.11a - one time. Used to climb 5.10 pretty solidly) I had an "epic" on petit grapon and felt lucky to be alive. (Long story)

Stopped climbing. :-(

Now - 15 pounds and years later, I have the urge. You know that urge. However, now I have 2 young kids, etc...... (btw, I plan to lose the weight. Actually I've lost it many times, but it seems to creep back on)

Can anyone relate?

Anyway, is anyone out there looking for a climbing partner for easy climbs (LOVE multi-pitch climbs) in the wee hours of alternate saturday mornings? I don't lead but am a good follower and am happy to belay you afterwards on harder sport climbs.

(by the way - that's me on the cover of Craig Luebben's book "Rappel!")

Any takers? I live in San Clemente but am happy to drive an hour or so.

By barry ohm
Jun 15, 2012

I live in san clemente and get down to San Diego with a small group, most weekends climbing, with a few seasonal trips to jtree, taquitz, and the eastern sierra, you are welcome to join in

By claudio ricardez
From ESCONDIDO
Jun 15, 2012
Mt. Woodson

You mean this book? That's pretty cool. Welcome back to climbing.
I live in SD, but if you make it down this way feel free to hit me up.
Hope you don't mind that I posted the book cover. I can delete it if so.

Craig Luben book cover
Craig Luben book cover

By FranzoniT
Jun 15, 2012

Pam,

Hi, myself and my wife now live in Mission Viejo after living in Littleton, CO for many years. I too also had an "epic" on the Petit, not a long story, I just got very sick due to altitude.

I am also getting back into climbing after being off for a while, in fact just got back from Yosemite this past weekend with my brother.

Don't know exactly what you are looking to climb but am very open.

By Pam Peery
Jun 16, 2012

Hi everyone!

Yes, that is me, Claudio. I don't mind if you post the book at all.

Yes yes yes to everyone who wants to climb with me!! I just have to buy a new harness, return the 5.10 Anasazis that kill my toes, wait for the chalk bag that I ordered online to arrive (the one I bought at REI doesn't even close completely. I forgot to check for that in the store. You would think any idiot company that makes chalk bags would understand that .... all they are meant to do is HOLD CHALK. That's it. Not rocket science. If it doesn't close it can't even do that.)

By the way - do you know that there is a gigantic, free, outdoor bouldering wall at Creekside Park in Dana Point. (on Stonehill, just west of camino capistrano). It's awesome and I'm going to boulder there regularly.

Thank you everyone. I can only climb on weekends that I can get childcare, and I doubt I could climb harder than 5.8 or so now - but your support is FANTASTIC. You can text me at 781-626-2172. When I have time, I'll contact everyone individually.

Pam

By Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Jun 16, 2012
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wall.

Hi Pam! Good to hear a little catch up. Happy climbing in SoCal!

Your best bet might be day trips to Josh in the winter and Idyllwild in the summer, rather than sticking close to OC.

Hope you're well!

Shawn

By mathtutortim
Sep 4, 2012

Hey Pam, I live in dana point and climb nearly every fri/sat in idyllwild/joshua tree. Always looking for partners. I am a self-employed math/science tutor in the area so while school is happening these are my only free days. I workout a couple days a week at a place in san jaun called crossfit noboundaries. The coaches and members are all super cool and I have taught many of them climbing/canyoneering basics. You should check them out.

My contact info is mathtutortim@gmail.com or
949-306-3050

Have fun getting back into the climbing groove