Need Bottle Creek information

By Court
May 15, 2013

I'm adding a climbing section to my web site (aboutlaketahoe.com). I've climbed there several times, but don't the names or ratings for any of the routes there and can't find any info about them online either. What I do have is at www.aboutlaketahoe.com/climbing/bottle-creek.htm

Note- I only have about 4 pages up currently in the climbing section so clicking around will likely just end you up on a copy of the Luther Spires page

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
May 15, 2013

that's because this crag has remained off the interwebz for years.
lets keep it that way.

By Court
May 15, 2013

it's not off the interwebz, it's just not listed on the main parts of any of the sites.

www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1191532
www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=767141

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
May 15, 2013

yeah it's been mentioned in two ST threads, that's not like an MP page or your crappy website that can lead every gumby from SanHo to Sacto to the one quick access, after work crag that isn't published somewhere.

not every crag and every route needs to be documented for everyone to find.

By Court
May 16, 2013

Guideline #1
Guideline #1

By Court
May 16, 2013

Honestly, after your first post i was considering not adding it to the site, since i'm new to climbing and don't wish to step on anyone's toes. Your comment kind of fixed that though, and it will definitely stay. The fact that it isn't on any of the other sites is what makes it a valuable addition, cause let's face it, the climbing there isn't that spectacular.
Having said that, just so we can all get along, I have removed the directions.
Fair enough?

By splitclimber
May 16, 2013

i've heard of this crag, but never knew where. i like the idea of low profile crags for locals. some things need to stay out of guides and on-line.

there WILL be more people climbing here now. no doubt.

By Court
May 16, 2013

How so? If it still doesn't say where to go?

By splitclimber
May 16, 2013

huh, you have directions on your page.

edit - you HAD directions on your page.

By Court
May 16, 2013

right, that's what i said above, that I would take down the directions as a compromise of sorts.

By dave salazar
May 21, 2013

it would be nice if it just wasnt added. that place gets enuff traffic as it is. if u really want to go ahead with it then talk to j at sports ltd, since he and his buds put up most of the climbs. thanks.

By coloradotomontana
May 21, 2013
me

As an outsider, I would compare this discussion to calling dibs on your retarded cousin with one good arm.

By Court
May 21, 2013

But how will it get more traffic without directions? Just knowing there is a place called Bottle creek won't lead anyone to a Bottle creek on a map, since the creek isn't labeled on maps. I lived within 200 yards of the creek for 5 years and never knew what it was called. I always thought it's name was derived from the lakes it flows from (which i won't mention).
Although I'm not really sure which one of the three creeks is the actual Bottle Creek.

And if it's an after work crag you're after, why not go here? Several top rope options in the area (no bolts yet), the approach is like 1/5th of bottle Creek's, much more evening light, and you won't find a set of anchors closer to a bar in the tahoe basin, maybe not in all of California (gyms excluded).

Off the Bar Wall
Off the Bar Wall

Cracks
Cracks

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
May 22, 2013

From my understanding the name of the crag has nothing to do with the name of any creek in the area. It's a historical name from what I understand and it involves bottles more than a creek.

I'll give you one really good reason why this spot doesn't need to be published, then I'm done. The parking situation. As it stands it's questionable at best and all it would take are a few more No Parking sings (like on the other side of the highway) to be put up on the side of the road that people park on now and access would be considerably restricted. I have no doubt that CHP and maybe even NFS would rather not see cars parked there, especially on Friday evenings and busy weekends when 50 eastbound is a constant stream of incoming traffic.

Really your site shouldn't even mention it, directions or not. And it appears there are others who feel the same way.

By Lewisd_530
From South Lake Tahoe, California
May 22, 2013

By frankstoneline
May 22, 2013

Locals only brah, don't try and surf my wave.

By Court
May 22, 2013

"sry to say but every single area i click on on your Tahoe site links to Luther spires."

yeah i mentioned that in the first post. the climbing section isn't live yet (linked to from the rest of the site)and the luther spires page was used for the template as i develop the climbing section. currently it's just luther, bottle creek, ballbuster rock, 90' wall, and crystal bay boulder. i'm trying to add a new one/day but I'm also trying to update the rest of the site to the newer format at the same time as well as dealing with other clients.