Nasty compound fracture [GRAPHIC]

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
Aug 12, 2012

So this image just started making the rounds, looks painful:

By MountainManny
From Idaho Springs
Aug 12, 2012
One Trad Ass Motherfucker

I smell almonds!

A beauty of a fracture there....

I did my right arm in almost identical fashion....and Yep, it hurt as bad as it looked.

By BigMoveMike
From prescott
Aug 12, 2012
Pente 5.11 Onsight

I'm calling BS on this one! photo shop, some corn syrup & red #40!

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Aug 12, 2012

Hey, look - TC Pros! Nice shoes.

By Tradoholic
Aug 12, 2012

Had one like this at the gym. Seen a few actually, usually not much screaming with these, lots of endorphins going on. Do you have a point in trying to gross people out?

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Aug 12, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Mike J. wrote:
I'm calling BS on this one! photo shop, some corn syrup & red #40!

I'm calling BS on your calling BS. I took that picture. That happened in March. He's now walking on it again after four months of surgery and bone grafts. Here's a link to the news story. www.wjla.com/articles/2012/04/after-overnight-delay-injured->>>

By Todd Cook
From Hawthorne, CA
Aug 12, 2012
me in Africa

What was the route? was he leading? How far did he fall?

Any other helpful information?

May he have a speedy recovery!

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Aug 12, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

It was a short pendulum fall under 10 ft on a traversing tight hand and finger crack on Old Rag Mountain. Piton Crack. Last route of the day. There's a small chunk of rock, a little arete that sticks out, that his ankle slammed into and that's what caused the damage. A freak occurrence more than anything. I doubt you could reproduce the accident again if you tried. Just shitty luck.

He's ok, walking around on it now, four months later, and will be back out on the rock in the spring.

By Buff Johnson
Oct 13, 2012
smiley face

Glad to hear things turned out well.

This is a uniquely distinctive injury and one I used in an educational setting with some case studies of mountain accidents. Just wanted to say thanks for posting up the info.

By waltereo
Nov 14, 2012

I am sick for the rest of the day....

By Ted Kryzer

Bocan

Holy sh*t man...

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Nov 14, 2012
tanuki

I cannot say that you didn't warn me, but DAMN! That made me queasy.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Nov 14, 2012
Axes glistening in the sun

Just woke my ass up! Bone suckin sauce!

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Nov 14, 2012
This problem haunted my dreams for 6 years after failing to send in 2008.  Finally got to try it again -- now I can sleep.  Photo Darin Limvere.

Ted Kryzer wrote:
I would sure think so.

LOL!!! Good one Kryzer.

Oh, and wow. Glad to hear it's turning out ok.

By Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Nov 14, 2012
Climbing at the Belvedere crag near Nago with a great view of the northern end of Lake Garda and the town of Torbole sul Garda below. June 2013.

Jake Jones wrote:
I'm calling BS on your calling BS. I took that picture. That happened in March. He's now walking on it again after four months of surgery and bone grafts. Here's a link to the news story. URL was here.

Thanks for the follow-up info, Jake. And good job refuting the always-expected comments on these internet stories regarding the financing of the rescue.
I'm glad to hear your friend is back on his feet and looking to return to climbing in the spring.