Muir Valley Needs Your Help!

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Oct 18, 2010
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

Everyone who's ever made a trip to Kentucky's Red River Gorge probably has great memories of the climbing there, especially in Muir Valley. Now would be a excellent time to show your appreciation by donating to the Friends of Muir Valley.

entering the bottom crux
entering the bottom crux

For those who don't already know, Muir Valley is privately owned by Rick and Liz Weber, who have not only opened their land to climbers, but also provide amenities like parking and bathrooms. Rick and Liz work on trail maintenance, bolt replacement and even trash cleanup. All the expenses for this come out of their pockets, defrayed only by donations from visiting climbers.

Of late, donations to Muir Valley are at a very low level, and the Webers are feeling the financial pinch. See this thread on the RRG message board:
www.redriverclimbing.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13402

As noted in the RRG thread, about 18,000 people visit Muir Valley in the course of a year. If every one of those climbers donated just $1, it would go a long way toward paying for the maintenance costs that the Webers are currently covering. The fact that the actual climber donation works out to about 13 cents per person should make us all feel ashamed.

Even if you've never climbed at the Red, I hope all Mountain Project users will consider making a generous donation to the Friends of Muir Valley. Supporting a climbing resource like Muir Valley is worthwhile for all of us, not just locals. And it's easy with PayPal. Whatever you can afford -- $5, $10, $20, $100 -- every little bit will help!

Here's a link to Friends of Muir Valley:
www.friendsofmuirvalley.com/index.php?page=6

JL

By JonathanC
From CO
Oct 18, 2010

JL - Thanks for posting this, I know I spend more time here than on Red River Climbing, but I'm certain many people are familiar with Muir Valley.

If you've ever visited Muir, you know how well Liz and Rick treat climbers and provide access to the amazing crags on their property. I'd hate to see Muir go the way of Torrent and become highly restricted, so let's get the word out and give back a little to Rick and Liz.

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 18, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Muir is a blessing to all of us. Rick and Liz work wonders and seldom complain. The weekend of Oct. 8-11 holiday just did the job though. We all give to Access Fund even though we may never access' the places saved. Please give to friends of Muir Valley too...it's like paying a small additional city tax rate after your state and federal taxes. It helps more than it hurts your wallet.

By Mike Morin
From On the Road
Oct 18, 2010
Lincoln Lake

Thanks for posting, my wife and I were in the Red from Oct 4 - Oct 11 and climbed at Muir twice. It was an amazing place and we had intended to donate when we got home, thanks for the reminder.

After reading Ricks post on on Red River Climbing, I just have to shake my head. We noticed the closed off restrooms on Monday and wondered about that. It's amazing how much people will abuse what's not theirs. I hope access doesn't become jeopardized due to thoughtless acts by the dregs of our community.

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Oct 19, 2010
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

Mike Morin wrote:

Yeah, I thought that was just a total disgrace. How hard is it to just use the facility the way it's supposed to be used and not mess it up?

JL

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 19, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

They did run low on water for the washrooms over the dry spell, but people...!!..who keeps going and plugging up a toilet that won't flush anymore until it's packed up to the rim! Disgusting late saturday afternoon guilty climbers. It sure didn't happen overnight on its own when found 8AM on Sunday morning.

By Mike Morin
From On the Road
Oct 19, 2010
Lincoln Lake

By the way you S.E. climbers sure do have one cool area down there. We were totally blown away by the beauty and the rock, as well as the majority of people that we met who were totally rad folks. There was definitely a true community vibe that we really enjoyed. The whole experience made the 20 hour drive completely worth it.

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
Oct 21, 2010
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.

Bump . . .

We're going for 100% participation by MP users, raise your hand if you haven't donated yet! :-)

JL

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Oct 25, 2010
El Chorro

Muir is one of the most popular areas at perhaps THE most popular sport area on the continent. It's a shame that a thread like this even has to exist.

The Weber's are amazing people and they need our help. Miguel's is busy as hell right now... Someone should print this out and pass a bucket around...

By Dylan Colon
From Eugene, OR
Nov 10, 2010
Me fishing for gear on an onsight of Mung.  Photo by Gokul Gopal.

I'm going to the Red this weekend and will be sure to donate. Muir Valley is amazing and a true rarity in terms of climbing on private land.

By Ben C
From Portland, OR
Dec 3, 2010
just before the crux

Was there this past week and Muir was definitely our place of choice. i have so many great memories of that place. they do a excellent job maintaining the place and deserve all the help they can get!

By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 3, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

It's holiday time folks....donate to Friends of Muir now and get your tax deduction for 2010. It's worth it.

By Uncle Ben
Dec 5, 2010

Just donated. Its good to do especially as the combination of the Webers plus Muir is fantastic. I've met them both and they are fantastic people who have put so much time and money into that area.

It's definitely worth what ever you can donate to Muir.

By Colin Delehanty
From San Francisco
Dec 11, 2010

You got my support. Thanks for an awesome climbing experience!

By Andrew Martin
From North Jersey
Feb 11, 2011
me

Just did, love the Weber's! What a gift to the climbing community.

By PTZ
From Chicago/Colorado
Feb 11, 2011
Where? Wouldn't you like to know. You have to buy me a beer, then I will tell you.

We should all thank the folks in Muir and all the people that work down there to keep this great area open.
It is a lot of work.
I give cash into those little white boxes every time I go there. I will send a donation in check form.
Think of it like a amusement park entry fee.You just don't get any cotton candy and no bubblegum stuck everywhere.
Thank you Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition and Crag Owners.
We need to help this climbing area.Kentucky Rocks

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Apr 22, 2011
Starting the second section of Live to climb another day

Wonderful gracious people the Webers. What a jewel Muir Valley.

By Chad Wagner
Sep 6, 2011
me

Thank You so much Rick and Liz. They have done so much for the climbing community and are commited to keep things on good terms. Lets not forget the countless volunteer hours from all over to make this an awesome place to visit.
There happens to be a trend growing with people that have no respect for others or the outdoors. Its growing at an alarming and disgusting rate in the Red. Leave No Trace is more than ethic, its a priority. Pack your poo or hold your cheeks.

By Woodchuck ATC
Sep 20, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

With a few weeks until the Rocktoberfest' for this year, we know how the gazillions of climbers will be heading for Muir instead of the PMRP for that day or so. Please be prepared for the crowded parking by car pooling if possible. If you get a late climbing start, like say 11AM, consider trying somewhere else for the day as the lots most likely will be very filled by then. AND most of all, please be sure to hit the donation box or go to Friends of Muir and make your donation this fall. Haul out all your trash, and we will all try to make it a very enjoyable weekend for all, especially for the Webers.