Mt. Charleston Guide Book?

By Andrew williams
Jun 11, 2012
Mental Games Apple Valley

Hi Everyone,
Perhaps, I have missed something but I can't seem to find a guide book for Mt. Charleston other than Islands in the Sky, which must be out of print since I can't find it online anywhere other than used copies for $90+. Gonna take our first trip up there in a few weeks, does anyone have some good recommendations?
Thanks!
Andrew

By William Leung
Jun 11, 2012

You can get Islands in the Sky from the Vegas REI or from desert rock sports. You can also order it from Desert Rock Sports: desertrocksportslv.com/orders.html

By alpinglow
From city, state
Jun 11, 2012

I've got an old copy in great condition.

Can let it go for $75, but you have to cover shipping.

By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
Jun 12, 2012
beck on limestone

Andrew,

Two guide books: Islands in the Sky and Las Vegas Limestone by Roxanna Brock.

Climbing at your grade you'll be interested in probably the Hood, Robbers Roost, Imagination Wall. There are several multi pitch routes at the Imagination Wall. Ask about those routes at Desert Rock Sports.

Hood and Robbers are single pitch sport routes. Yellow Pine and The Mary Jane Crag near the end of Canyon Road parking lot for the Mary Jane Falls trail might be a good introduction to the area or just hike up to the Hood...It is not that far

Robbers gets shade almost all day, Hood gets sun in the mornings as it faces SE. Imagination Wall gets sun on the west side in the mornings.

Free camping is now limited since the Forest Service closed the area where free camping was previously allowed off Canyon Road near the Imagination Wall. Water and flush toilets at the Visitor Center on Kyle Canyon Road.

No supplies or fuel is available on the mountain.

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Jun 13, 2012
new toy

The Forest Service really has clamped down on free camping. I went to camp at the spot you are talking about Thomas, seeing it closed I drove around towards Lee Canyon and figured I could find something over there. The Forest Service has installed gates on many of the dirt roads over there that had good primative camping.

By Andrew williams
Jun 14, 2012
Mental Games Apple Valley

Wow thanks for all the replies!

By Jon O'Brien
From Nevada
Jun 15, 2012

don't pay 75 bucks for a guide book. plenty of copies in town at the original, reasonable price. i can't comprehend a climber trying to make a buck off a climber, things have changed. you can locate a couple copies through the clark county library system to use for free (locate online).

if in doubt, stop in and ask for some beta at desert rock sports, they're good guys and won't double prices or screw you over because you're visiting.

MP has good enough info on how to locate the popular spots/climbs.

jon

By Andrew williams
Jun 16, 2012
Mental Games Apple Valley

Jon O'Brien wrote:
enjoy your trip, i can "let that information go" for free brother, but YOU pay for shipping! LOL... jon

haha thanks! I ordered a copy of islands in the sky off of desert rock sports. Can't wait to get up there!

thanks for all the info!