Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
MP iPhone App Officially Released
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Oct 28, 2011
Personal Photo

After thousands of hours of coding (mostly by MP user Sam Vanderhyden), thousands of hours of testing by about 100 volunteers, and weeks of review by Apple, and it's finally alive!

Get it here

We're pretty psyched - we got a lot of great features built in and it is more powerful than we first hoped. When you first actually use the app at the rock (or trying to find the rock, and using the GPS mapping system), it all clicks that this is a pretty big game-changer.

We hope you enjoy it, and welcome feedback as always!

Before you ask, YES, Android will be coming later this fall.


FLAG
By Morgan Patterson
Administrator
Oct 28, 2011
Stoked...

Badass... Awesome work all! The fact that it's free is way way way awesome!

Edit: Oh wait - u guys want $5 per year... hum... obviously a lot of work but i guess u don't have to buy a guide book maybe if ur gonna travel...


FLAG
By T.J. Esposito
From San Diego, CA
Oct 28, 2011
Espresso @ New Jack City

Awesome... but is there a plan for a native iPad version? (Don't have an iPhone only an iPad so for cragging it's clearer to just take screenshots of MP pages to get full-size photos).


FLAG
By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
Oct 28, 2011
Profile Photo <br />

You haul your iPad to the crag? The fact that you can download routes without a wi-fi connection is what makes it so awesome to me! Hope we can add photos via our phones in a couple of releases...I think a lot more of the routes would have pictures if it were more frictionless.


FLAG
By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 28, 2011
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

Morgan Patterson wrote:
Badass... Awesome work all! The fact that it's free is way way way awesome! Edit: Oh wait - u guys want $5 per year... hum... obviously a lot of work but i guess u don't have to buy a guide book maybe if ur gonna travel...


The $5 allows you to install all the locations, routes etc onto your smartphone...and if you cancel your subscription you just dont get the updates but you do retain all your installed data right?


FLAG
By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Oct 28, 2011
Personal Photo

Mostafa wrote:
The $5 allows you to install all the locations, routes etc onto your smartphone...and if you cancel your subscription you just dont get the updates but you do retain all your installed data right?


No. If you cancel, the app will warn you for a while, then eventually not allow access to routes and areas that you have downloaded. Note that no personal information is lost.

The app is a shitload of work, it has no ads, and supplying all the data costs us real money. If you don't find this worth $5/year, that's okay with us - please use the site for free and we're still friends...


FLAG
By Zach Wilson
From Aurora, CO
Oct 28, 2011

Awesome, just downloaded it on the new iPhone 4S. Works like a charm so far.

One note: When downloading routes onto the phone, it would be nice to have an option to download the whole state instead of having to download each individual area. But definitely not a big deal. Thanks a lot for putting this together.


FLAG
By Morgan Patterson
Administrator
Oct 28, 2011
Stoked...

Nick Wilder wrote:
No. If you cancel, the app will warn you for a while, then eventually not allow access to routes and areas that you have downloaded.



I would pay the $5 if I could retain the info... or like a $5 for the Eastern States, $5 for SW, $5 for NW, etc. And then to update the info you'd pay a yearly subscription...

But otherwise yes we're still friends and a proud MP user!


FLAG
 
By Peter Franzen
Administrator
From Phoenix, AZ
Oct 28, 2011
Belay

This is really outstanding guys! Having a pitch-by-pitch breakdown of long trad routes in Red Rocks right there on my phone is fantastic.


FLAG
By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Oct 28, 2011
Indian Creek Climbing

Any news on the droid version?


FLAG
By Steve86
Oct 28, 2011

Great work. Downloaded and subscribed. $5/yr for unlimited offline access to the MP database is a great deal. I wish had this during my CO trip this summer.


FLAG
By longroper
From Spokane Valley
Oct 28, 2011

I'm with Morgan on this one. Revoking a users ability to access already downloaded data if they don't keep a current data subscription is a deal breaker for me.

I understand that supplying data costs money, but does it cost anything more once a user already has the data? And if not why not just let them retain access to the already downloaded info?


FLAG
By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Oct 28, 2011
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

longroper wrote:
I'm with Morgan on this one. Revoking a users ability to access already downloaded data if they don't keep a current data subscription is a deal breaker for me. I understand that supplying data costs money, but does it cost anything more once a user already has the data? And if not why not just let them retain access to the already downloaded info?


I think Nick covered that with... "shitload of work". Allowing clean offline access to the vast amounts of data available on MP is a far more complex task than appears. And this work will continue forever into the future. Any good software, app or website, is a constant effort... good software is never one and done.

But fear not, the site is free and always will be.


FLAG
By Phill T
Oct 28, 2011

wooT! insta-subscribed! been waiting a while for this, good job guys! only app I've ever paid for


FLAG
By Zach Wilson
From Aurora, CO
Oct 28, 2011

The "search my areas" function seems to crash a lot and is pretty slow on my iPhone 4S.

Should there be a new sticky thread for bugs and suggestions for the app?


FLAG
By kirra
Oct 28, 2011

Phill T wrote:
wooT! insta-subscribed! been waiting a while for this, good job guys! only app I've ever paid for

now this may be worth getting an iPhone for ('s' of course)


FLAG
 
By Cory
From Boise, ID
Oct 28, 2011
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills

Stoked! Downloaded and subscribed! Thanks for all the hard work, this app is saweet! Totally worth $5/year!


FLAG
By Mike Crandall
From Superior, CO
Oct 28, 2011
Super Crack

Downloaded! Subscribed! So far so good!
Would love to see a tablet version. Contact me if you want help developing it!


FLAG
By T.J. Esposito
From San Diego, CA
Oct 28, 2011
Espresso @ New Jack City

Ty Morrison-Heath wrote:
You haul your iPad to the crag? The fact that you can download routes without a wi-fi connection is what makes it so awesome to me! Hope we can add photos via our phones in a couple of releases...I think a lot more of the routes would have pictures if it were more frictionless.


Only for places that I don't have a guide for and that have short approaches, real cragging not backcountry stuff.


FLAG
By Simon Hatfield
From Oakland, CA
Oct 28, 2011
Me placing a cam at the crux - photo courtesy G. Helm

Does the app work for Ipod Touch? If so, what functionality is compromised?


FLAG
By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Oct 28, 2011
Personal Photo

Simon Hatfield wrote:
Does the app work for Ipod Touch? If so, what functionality is compromised?


Definitely the mapping (no GPS), and that might be it, but try it out and tell us! It comes with the Grand Teton area and routes installed, so you can test it without committing five bucks.


FLAG
By SCherry
From San Diego, CA
Oct 28, 2011
Trying to onsight 12a at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles.

Just downloaded and purchased. Strong work gents!

I second the comment you should give an option to download an entire state.

Can't wait to test it out this weekend.


FLAG
By Alex Cobbs
From Santa Fe, NM
Oct 28, 2011

Simon Hatfield wrote:
Does the app work for Ipod Touch? If so, what functionality is compromised?

Simon, yes it works. Just downloaded the app on mine, gen. 4 touch.
Still tossing the idea of subscribing, but I think $5/yr. is a steal for the wealth of info.


FLAG
By Spencer Anderson
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 28, 2011
game face

Have a gen. 4 touch and downloaded the app. Won't let me subscribe (says problem with connecting to app store) and won't let me log on (says invalid, but typed it in correct)???


FLAG
 
By Julius Beres
From Boulder, CO
Oct 28, 2011
Rewritten

Holy crap you guys are cheap! I know that climbers are dirt bags and all, but asking $5/year is nothing! It is the cost of one beer, and if you own an iPhone and have a data plan, you cannot be that broke...

I can't wait for the android app!


FLAG
By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Oct 28, 2011

An error occured ......

Can't subscribe or download new content.


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>